Quip
Premium
join:2003-03-18
Riverside, CT
kudos:1

2 recommendations

[POLL] 2012 Wireless Provider

Poll
Who is your primary wireless service provider?

Verizon Wireless

AT&T

T-Mobile

Sprint

Boost Mobile

Virgin America

Tracfone

Straight Talk

MetroPCS

Other

Other pre-paid

Votes:170

Welcome to "Provider Poll" v. 2012!

If you use more than one mobile device please vote for the provider you use the most often even if it's a data only device. Looking at last year's poll, I decided to add Straight Talk back to the list as it has become a popular choice here. It's interesting to see a lot of pre-paid brands gaining popularity (and customers) from post-paid plans.

If I've missed your particular provider please vote other (either pre-paid or post-paid). I also encourage anyone who voted for "other" to list their service provider in the thread so we can include it in next year's poll.

As always, the above list are providers in the United States, if you have service in another country with the same brand (T-Mobile UK for example), please vote "other."

This is the poll's tenth version (I'm starting to feel old) with a new one posted every year.

Last year's poll: »[POLL] 2011 Wireless Provider

lilhurricane
Crunchin' For Cures
Premium,Mod
join:2003-01-11
Purple Zone
kudos:57
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit
Thanks for getting the new poll up, Quip See Profile

Still w/ Verizon..for pricing, plan & service. (See: homepage article for latest discussion/questions ~and ~ Update)
--
~Safe Hex~ Team Discovery ~ Project Hope ~ Like A Hurricane~

slash
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-01
Boston
reply to Quip
Still with Verizon for my personal phone and have AT&T on my corporate BlackBerry. Verizon wins hands down in my comparison of service quality.
--
Why not?

lordpuffer
RIP lil
Premium
join:2004-09-19
Rio Rancho, NM
kudos:2
reply to Quip
I'm with AT&T, after a very short stint with Verizon. I get very good coverage in the ABQ area.
--
"Is there a 50's Cafe around here"?

legendNYC
None Too Soon
Premium
join:2003-06-04
Jamaica, NY
reply to Quip
We recently switched to Sprint after many years with Verizon.

Phoneman63

join:2001-02-22
Hauppauge, NY
reply to Quip
1 phone on Sprint Sero plan and 3 phones on T-Mob pre-paid.
--
"Leave the gun, take the cannolis"

jap
Premium
join:2003-08-10
038xx

1 edit
reply to Quip
USCellular
• 250mins national minutes with 24/7 unmetered incoming
• post pay, no contract
• $30 + tax/fees = ~34 per month

Free incoming has been USCell's competitive standout forever. By preference 90% of my calling is from the desk using GoogleVoice. Users like me must be killing their bottom line since all my outgoing calls are actually incoming.

Usually I stay under 180mins and have never crested the 250 ceiling. GV is my address book, accounts manager, dialer, and I use the notes feature in call history logs which never expire. So this USCell plan works great.

national coverage: Good.
network quality: Just OK.
customer service: Best in the business. Super minimalist menu, short to no waiting, articulate humans every time. It takes getting used to.
cost: Other than this $30 plan it's same or higher than T-Mo for less tech, less quality.

No smarty phones allowed on any low-minute plans so the GV app won't save money.

alrandolph

join:2004-07-11
Jersey City, NJ
reply to Quip
I switched from H20 to Straight Talk last month to improve my data speeds

TheDreamer

join:2002-01-17
Manhattan, KS
reply to Quip
Finally switched back to T-mobile (from Sprint.)

They had pretty good signal at my home when I first moved here, but not so good at work...and they didn't have any local number available. So, I went gone to Sprint (and got my local number from them)....though Sprint is pretty poor at home and roaming at work.

I ported the number to AT&T for a while for an iPhone...but poor signal both at home and at work. Later went back to Sprint....because it was better than no service at work.

Since AT&T takeover of T-Mobile failed...I decided to switch back (plus I had been intrigued by their wifi calling feature for a while.)

So, at work....I'm at the mercy of finding good wifi to do calls, because service is marginally better at work. (lots of times it'll show me as roaming on Viaero....which is only 2G.) But, at home...I do have good wireless...but seems otherwise I have to choose between 4G and almost no bars...or no-4G and 3 bars.

The Dreamer.
--
You may be a dreamer, but I'm The Dreamer, the definite article you might say!

BillRoland
Premium
join:2001-01-21
Ocala, FL
kudos:3
reply to Quip
I switched to AT&T's $50/month GoPhone. I can't complain, the coverage is much better than Boost/Sprint.

Yippz
Premium
join:2005-05-04
Fort Walton Beach, FL
reply to Quip
The 2 providers we use on our company phones are Puretalk and Simple Mobile.

While it's nice to be able to roll our unused minutes over with Puretalk (people that really don't use their phones that much), Simple Mobile does have 3G data and a less expensive all-you-can-eat plan.

Puretalk uses ATT while Simple Mobile uses T-Mobile's network.

Both services seem to have a very large customer base. It would be nice to see them in the next poll, Quip.
--
Yippz.com - Unlocked GSM Multi-SIM Smartphones and Android Mobile Phones

fixrman
Premium
join:2003-02-10
Hatboro, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Quip
After 8 years with T-Mobile, I switched to AT&T just about a week or so ago when I had an emergency and had no signal with T-Mobile, although my Blackberry indicated AT&T was available. I had to walk 1/4 mile to get a T-Mobile signal, which was nearly negligable anyway, but did finally work.

Now I get an H+ signal even in the basement.
--
"from a broken heart to a hole in the sky"

b10010011
Whats a Posting tag?

join:2004-09-07
Bellingham, WA
reply to Quip
Verizon Pre-Paid for over a decade.

rlt2562
The Wizard of Speed and Time
Premium
join:2002-12-23
Haughton, LA
reply to Quip
I ported to MPCS back in October after many, many years with AT&T.

Couldn't be happier!
--
Shake hands with the Devil as you race through the Gates of HELL!!

bbrcat
Cancer Sucks
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-09
NH
kudos:3

1 recommendation

reply to Quip
Still Verizon here also....9 years running.

Robotics
See You On The Dark Side
Premium
join:2003-10-23
Louisa, VA
reply to Quip
Been with Verizon for I think about 10 years, no planning on leaving any time soon either.

jchambers28

join:2007-05-12
Alma, AR
reply to Quip
straight talk using AT&T android phone with a straight talk unlocked sim card. It uses AT&T's network.

Littlem129
Premium
join:2007-05-13
White Pine, TN
reply to Quip
I checked "other prepaid" because I use Net10 now. I get the 750 minute card for $25 good for 30 days.

brg

join:2001-01-03
Chicago, IL
reply to Quip
PagePlus for me. Verizon network for a fraction of the price. BYOD for any 3G (not 4G), non-iPhone Verizon post-paid handset. I'm now on the $12 plan for 250 min/mo, 250 txt/mo, 10MB/mo ($0.20 per extra MB.) Amazing how little cellular data you actually need when you are surrounded by WiFi if you conscientiously use WiFi instead of cellular data.
Expand your moderator at work

djcrazy
Premium
join:2009-08-05
Minneapolis, MN
Reviews:
·Comcast
·T-Mobile US
reply to Quip

Re: [POLL] 2012 Wireless Provider

I switched to T Mobile from Verizon when I got my new Galaxy S 3. I paid for the phone outright so I get a better rate. $49.99 Value unlimited talk and text and $20 for unlimited 4G and $7.99 for handset insurance. So it is $77.98 plus taxes and regulatory fees.

When I was still on Verizon with a flip phone, I was paying $74.99 for 900 minutes and 250 texts with no handset insurance.

Very happy with this change as I get a lot more for just $3 more with T-Mobile and better signal strength at home as well. This was a no brainer.

lilhurricane
Crunchin' For Cures
Premium,Mod
join:2003-01-11
Purple Zone
kudos:57
reply to Quip
..stay tuned for our 2013 poll