how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

me1212

join:2008-11-20
Pleasant Hill, MO

1 edit

[Cooling] Best way to position fan on corsair h60?

Im going to be building a pc with a 2500k(with plans to oc to 4.5ghz), and use the h60 for the cooling, and a haf 932 for the case. I know corsair recommends to use it as an intake fan, but I'm worried that could cause more dust to get into the case, plus the hot air from the radiator would be blown into the case not out of it. Does it really make a difference which way I use it? I'd much rather be taking hot air out of the case, not put it in, but would that make the cpu run hotter?

EDIT: also how long do these last compared to air coolers? Like will the liquid evaporate in a few years?

Chrno

join:2003-12-11
I think for the HAF932's layout it is best to use the H60 fan as an intake. Reason being that the HAF932 has a huge top exhaust and would exhaust the heated air from the radiator out the top. You will get more dust inside the case but you should be cleaning the case regularly anyways as the spacing of the fins on the radiator is very tight/close and you should keep them clean of dust at all times.

The H60 is a closed water cooling system. The liquid inside the loop will not evaporate or degrade over time. The cooler should last as long as the pump works.

me1212

Pleasant Hill, MO
I plan to clean it once every two or three weeks at the least, so that shouldnt be too much of a problem. I guess. My main concern is that I would be replacing an exhaust fan with an intake fan, when it already has 2 200mm intake fans, leaving only one 200mm exhaust fan. would that have any negative effects?

matt5z

@spcsdns.net
reply to me1212
Exhaust, all intake will do is take hot air from the GPU and suck it back in...

Silverstone or someone had a good page showing that...

I think this is it... »www.silverstonetek.com/techtalk_···area=usa

To lazy to wait for it to load over the phone lol
Also make sure you are making + pressure inside the case.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON
kudos:2
reply to me1212
said by me1212:

Im going to be building a pc with a 2500k(with plans to oc to 4.5ghz), and use the h60 for the cooling, and a haf 932 for the case. I know corsair recommends to use it as an intake fan, but I'm worried that could cause more dust to get into the case, plus the hot air from the radiator would be blown into the case not out of it. Does it really make a difference which way I use it? I'd much rather be taking hot air out of the case, not put it in, but would that make the cpu run hotter?

EDIT: also how long do these last compared to air coolers? Like will the liquid evaporate in a few years?

I have an H60 on a 2600K. It's overclocked to 4.9 GHz. Max Temps will hit 80's.

Install it as Corsair recommends. The point is to blow cooler ambient air in and then let the case take it out. In the case of the HAF 932, make sure you have at least one fan exhausting air in the top of the case. That will take the hot air out. and no, it doesn't suck in any hot air from the GPU. I have a GTX 570 which doesn't even run full tilt fan in BF3.

You can see my installation here: »Your System - September/October/November/December 2011

Not to worry about evaporation. the system is sealed.
--
Need-based health care not greed-based health care.

matt5

join:2001-10-06
Lagrangeville, NY
Cept your CPU was overheating »Re: Hyper 212+/evo vs corsair H series.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
Owen Sound, ON
said by matt5:

Cept your CPU was overheating »Re: Hyper 212+/evo vs corsair H series.

Nope. It was momentary, not sustained. Above is tvpical when running at 100% load.
--

matt5

Lagrangeville, NY
Um, ya well it wont STAY at that temp cause it throttles... still comes down to you hit the limited and the chip throttled, cooling was not sufficient (tbh your hot anyways at almost 90c, 99% of people won't run that hot, but ignoring that, you still hit the throttle)

Also as far as the edit.

They are "good" for about 3 years... after that YMMV...

Nothing should evaporate, but nothing is user serviceable (like the pump)

You do have custom water cooling you can do as well FYI.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
Owen Sound, ON
said by matt5:

Um, ya well it wont STAY at that temp cause it throttles... still comes down to you hit the limited and the chip throttled, cooling was not sufficient (tbh your hot anyways at almost 90c, 99% of people won't run that hot, but ignoring that, you still hit the throttle)

Not above. It throttles at 90C. It will run all day at 88C. My point is that the OP will be just fine with an H60 installed as Corsair suggests, with a top mounted fan.
--

matt5

Lagrangeville, NY
Do you drive your car a HAIR below the redline all the time you use it?

No?, same goes for CPU temp just because it won't "shut down" till 90 or whatever (pretty sure it is more) does not mean you should run it at that. (not telling you what to do with your CPU, but again, it is kinda common sense, just like the car, some people beat them, 99% do not)

Anyway w/e, OP has the info, OP you can look at my link, it was correct it will show you what you want for air flow.

Of course they tell you suck in cold air for best performance, the thing is, will it hurt everything else, or not even really give the best performance... it is possible..., the link shows animated pictures of what can happen with different air flow types.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
Owen Sound, ON
said by matt5:

Do you drive your car a HAIR below the redline all the time you use it?

No?, same goes for CPU temp just because it won't "shut down" till 90 or whatever (pretty sure it is more) does not mean you should run it at that. (not telling you what to do with your CPU, but again, it is kinda common sense, just like the car, some people beat them, 99% do not)

Anyway w/e, OP has the info, OP you can look at my link, it was correct it will show you what you want for air flow.

Actually, the link is a lot of chaff with some wheat. And it makes no mention of the sealed water coolers.

BTW, a computer chip is not a car. In case you wondered, a computer chip is an electronic device while a car is a mechanical device. Electronic devices are either "on" or "off". An internal combustion engine uses a mechanical throttle device. Apples and oranges.

In the case of the 2600K chip, like most computer chips these days, it only runs full bore when needed (i.e. gaming, Folding and so on). Otherwise it runs at a much lower speed and cooler. It's called SpeedStep technology. It CAN run full tilt for a long time, however.
--

matt5

Lagrangeville, NY
What are you even talking about, the link was for AIR FLOW, not water coolers, AIR FLOW, water does not matter, a fan is a fan... and that shows air flow with different fan setups...

Um, you really telling me what a car is. The IDEA is the EXACT same they both have LIMITS... running a cpu at 45C happy... running a 4cyl car at 3000 rpm, happy.

Runnin a CPU at 88c not so happy... running a car at 7900rpm of a 8000 rpm redline... not so happy.

O btw go work on some cars WITH computers... see what happens when they put them in the engine compartment, or near the motor... O right... the heat kills them in a few years...

»www.anandtech.com/show/2468/6

"Too many people believe overclocking is "safe" as long as they don't increase their processor core voltage - not true. Frequency increases drive higher load temperatures, which reduces useful life. Conversely, better cooling may be a sound investment for those that are looking for longer, unfailing operation as this should provide more positive margin for an extended period of time.

So what does all of this mean? So far we have learned that of the three basic failure types, failures due to degradation (i.e. wearing out) are in most cases directly influenced by the means and manner in which the processor is operated. Clearly, the user plays a considerable role in the creation and maintenance of a suitable operating environment. This includes the use of high-quality cooling solutions and pastes, the liberal use of fans to provide adequate case ventilation, and finally proper climate control of the surrounding areas."

Notice heat heat HEAT is the killer... voltage and the like hurt too, HEAT is the one that hurts the most, heat is what they keep talking about... and you are here bumping the redline telling me it makes no difference... and you can do whatever you want, but don't try to tell other people it is okay.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
Owen Sound, ON
said by matt5:

Um, you really telling me what a car is. The IDEA is the EXACT same they both have LIMITS... running a cpu at 45C happy... running a 4cyl car at 3000 rpm, happy.

Runnin a CPU at 88c not so happy... running a car at 7900rpm of a 8000 rpm redline... not so happy.

Sorry, your comparison fails. A CPU will run just fine at 88C for days or even months. It may eventually fail, but it is unlikely. In tweny years of computer ownership I have never, ever had a CPU fail.

O btw go work on some cars WITH computers... see what happens when they put them in the engine compartment, or near the motor... O right... the heat kills them in a few years... ]

Oh? And how many automobile computers actually fail from heat? Cars usually rust out before the computers fail.

Cute, but largely irrelevant. What there is no question that degradation occurs over time, you will note that there is little reference in the article to actual time. I have seen many old computers continue to work just fine after several years of work.

y people believe overclocking is "safe" as long as they don't increase their processor core voltage - not true. Frequency increases drive higher load temperatures, which reduces useful life. Conversely, better cooling may be a sound investment for those that are looking for longer, unfailing operation as this should provide more positive margin for an extended period of time.

Exactly, which is the point I am making. The H60 performs very well in reducing load temp, thus extending life of the CPU.

heat heat HEAT is the killer... voltage and the like hurt too, HEAT is the one that hurts the most, heat is what they keep talking about... and you are here bumping the redline telling me it makes no difference... and you can do whatever you want, but don't try to tell other people it is okay.

¸

I suggest that heat is both acceptable within limits, using the H60 cooler, and manageable. Using an H60 cooler or something similar makes it very much "OK"
--

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
Owen Sound, ON
reply to me1212
Ah. Some real world results on the H60 and various fans and fan positions.
--

me1212

Pleasant Hill, MO
reply to matt5
Only 3 years? hmm crap, may have to consider a 212+ with two fans then. the extra cooling from the h60 is nice, but only 3 years is dissapointing, I want this computer to last 4-ish,before it gets handed over to my mom for internet use and she'd probably get a few more out of it. and I know of air coolers that have 12+ years on them and still work :/

matt5

Lagrangeville, NY
The "good"... was in quotes...

You can only leave whatever coolant they are using in for so long before the additives start to fail and you get rust and corrosion.

Will the cooler last longer than 3, VERY LIKELY yes... but I can't remember where I read the service life is something like 3-4... after that the cooler is going downhill...

I do not think you will get 12 years out of a water cooler, however I would say you would very likely get over 3. Usage matters alot, the pumps really have not been on the market too long to see when they start to fail... I really do not think you would get 12 years out of the pump...

Gota remember, they work the same as a cars cooling system (almost), and just like you need to have your coolant changed, the coolant in the cooler is only good for so long...

If you expect it to last 12 years, I would look into an air cooler, they last forever, and the fans are replaceable... the sealed water coolers when the pump is gone, as far as I know, you are done, I have no seen replacement pumps.

You can also just get a cheap air cooler in 3-4 years when you want to pass the system on.

me1212

Pleasant Hill, MO
I dont need 12 years on this cool. All I *need* is 3.5-4 years(the number of years I have left in college) then im gonna build a new one for a graduation gift to myself. Since im getting a haf 932 and a 750w psu I plan to keep those for my next build, assuming they still work. and then 'gut' the one im building now and make a linux gaming server, after buying a like haf 912 and whatever I need watt psu for it, and down clock the cpu to stock and put the stock cooler on it(or what ever cooler I get for this one assuming it still works). So since the h60 should last that long I will probably end up buying that one, and test out the fan point both ways to see which works best for me =D. Thanks everyone for all your help, I appreciate it!