spc
uniqs

Fireguyy
join:2006-10-01

Fireguyy to sdofi

to sdofi

Re: Actiontec MI424WR FIOS N Router REV. I

said by sdofi :

So if the only difference between these two companies is that one allows Internet equipment exchanges and the other company does not then one company is providing less customer service and is therefore being less competitive.

If there is a problem with your router, Verizon will gladly send you out another with 1 or next day delivery. If there is no problem with it, and your service is working just as good as it was when you agreed to the TOS, why should the company just willing exchange it for you?

It cost's the company a great deal of money to take in a router, screen, clean, and place it back into circulation just so that you can have a new one. This is why you can purchase a new router if it's a requirement for you to have the newest version immediately.

I'm not sure how TWC handles their returned equipment, maybe they just toss it back into the pile to hand out to the next customer that comes along so that they don't take on any cost.

SRF26
join:2000-04-03
Jamaica, NY

SRF26

Hi. I just became a FiOS Triple Play subscriber and per the information from the router interface/set up, I have the following router:

Actiontec MI424WR-GEN2
Firmware: 20.19.8
Hardware Version: F

I currently have the WiFi radio disabled because I am using a D-Link Extreme N router for my wireless services. I did notice something when going through the Actiontec set up. Under the Wireless Settings, the Wireless Mode indicates "Compatibility Mode (802.11b/g/n)." Does this mean the router can support 802.11n devices? I thought Verizon didn't have any "N" capable routers.

TIA...JL

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber

MVM

The rev. F is draft 802.11n only.

sdofi
@verizon.net

sdofi to Fireguyy

Anon

to Fireguyy
While TWC may not ask you exactly why you brought equipment back to their retail store for an exchange they know that most customers either have a real serious problem with the equipment or they want some sort of feature upgrade.

There is no dispute that there is significant cost involved in screening and refurbishing returns. Why do companies take this on? Maybe to generate customer satisfaction. Who ultimately pays for this? The customer does in the form of monthly bills.

I don't think that any company just hands back out returned equipment without any sort of testing. Doing so would cause more problems. At least some minimal QA is done. Sometimes the equipment is returned to the supplier or manufacturer for refurbishing.

Fortunately for me I have gotten back only working new (looking?) equipment (new box, manual, CD, cables, matching serial number and mac address stickers on box & equipment) for the ones I have returned.

I was a TWC customer for a long time and these returns were spaced out and far between.

SRF26
join:2000-04-03
Jamaica, NY

SRF26 to More Fiber

to More Fiber
said by More Fiber:

Thanks for the info.

Happy New Year....JL

Zero5
join:2009-07-01
Collegeville, PA

Zero5 to More Fiber

to More Fiber

802.11n single stream data rates
said by More Fiber:

Saying that it's draft doesn't accurate explain why it's limited to only 65 mbps. A 802.11n router can be draft and get up to 270 or 300 mbps too.

As you can see from the table above, the real reason the Rev F is limited to 65 mbps is because it only has a single stream radio and is limited to only use a 20 MHz channel. This is why it still only has a single antenna.

The wikipedia page on 802.11n has the full chart where you can see the Rev G and Rev I have 2 spatial streams but are still limited to the same 20 MHz channel of bandwidth resulting in 130 mbps. With 2 streams a second antenna was added to the design.

The GI of 800ns is standard in 802.11 - 400ns is optionally used by vendors for increased data rates.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/80 ··· ta_rates

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gu ··· Interval