uniqs
share rss forum feed

dylan90

join:2012-01-11
reply to C_

Re: MacBook Air or Pro?

said by C_:

air is only glossy, thus it is still just a toy for 5 year olds

Right, the glossy display is not really great for someone working photoshop all day. Thus I would rather go for a pro with the antiglare.

haroldo

join:2004-01-16
united state
kudos:1

1 edit
reply to haroldo

Really dumb question...

Okay, I just bought an Air and my friend just bought the Pro.
If they can make a "skinny interior", why is the Pro so big and bulky? (yeah, it's a dumb question, I admit, but...)
What I mean is, if they can make a thin battery, thin logic board and thin chips, (aside from the optical drive, which can easily be used externally), what is there on the inside of the Pro that makes it so big and bulky? They basically do the same thing, no?
If they can make it ultra thin, why would they make it fat and heavy (relatively speaking, of course...my wife still has an iBook which I can barely pick up)? I'm guessing economies of scale would drive the costs down to attractive levels if they eliminated the bulky offerings.
Seems like all their laptops could (should) be thin...am I wrong?

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11

A few things:

1. Hard drive - the MBP can fit a full size laptop HD. This alone adds considerable thickness. The MBA uses a very specialized, nearly flat board full of memory chips without any casing at all. Saves a lot of space.

2. Optical Drive, as you pointed out, as considerable size and thickness.

3. Heat dissipation. The MBA does not use the same kind of chip the MBPs use. It puts out much less heat, requiring less air movement, fan power, and heatsink space. The MBPs need to accommodate top of the line i5/i7 processors.

4. Cost. There's a reason the MBA originally cost so much more than the MacBook and some MacBook Pros. Obviously Apple has lowered the price considerably, but I wonder if they're still making as big of a margin off the MBA. Making things small costs more money. Yield is lower, design takes longer, etc.
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

haroldo

united state

Got it...good answer. Held the two of them last night and was amazed at the difference, so I wondered. Thanks!

haroldo

united state
reply to haroldo

FWIW...it's amazing how much you can save by doing it yourself (not the most earth shattering of observations)

I did the following...
*Upgraded RAM to 8GB from Crucial...savings (vs. Apple Store) $170 (plus the old RAM will probably fetch ~$20 on eBay)...savings ~$190

*Upgraded (?) the 750GB hard drive to 256 GB SSD. Saving $40, but I converted the old drive (with a $6 enclosure) into a backup drive (cost in Apple Store $170)... savings ~$210. Yes, storage went down, but she'd never fill up a 750GB hard drive, so the storage decline is meaningless.

Total time for hardware upgrade 10 minutes
Total time for software conversion 30 minutes

I estimate the total savings versus the Apple Store ~$400

Of course, the novice, or intermediate user, might not wish to try this, but that's some real savings (again, I know, most of us here are DIY-ers and know this, but to the curious out there, it's easily doable!)