spc
Search similar:

uniqs

matlark
@fuse.net

matlark

Anon

westell 7500 in bridge mode

I have a linksys wrt54gl running dd wrt set up as the main router, after setting the westell 7500 unit to bridge it works for about a week and then the internet connection is lost. The wan ip showed up as 0.0.0.0 in the linksys main page the first time and now it shows the wan ip as 192.xxx.xxx.xx with no internet connection. Any thoughts?
matlark

matlark

Anon

I think I discovered the issue, the westell is in routed bridge mode initially. One of the posts on this board says I need to release the connection before changing the westell to bridge mode.

nwrickert
Mod
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL

nwrickert

Mod

I think your problem is different from that of the other thread. Your linksys actually did get an IP, while the one in the other thread didn't.

You possibly have an IP address conflict problem. The Westell default is for the westell to use 192.168.1.1 as it's address. And the linksys default is the same.

I suggest changing the linksys to use 192.168.2.1 as its address, with corresponding changes to the dhcp range (if that's a parameter). See if that helps.

matlark
@rr.com

matlark

Anon

The ip address to gain access to the westell unit is 192.168.200.1 not 192.168.1.1 like some have mentioned, if that helps.
I tried changing the ip address of the linksys along with releasing dhcp before bridging and it still will not connect to the internet. I tried cloning the mac address of the westell unit too (used the mac address on the back of the unit), didn't work. Once I do the above, I cycled the power several times and still no internet. Do I need to give it more time? Is there a setting in the westell 7500 unit I could try, say the versalink function? If it helps: sometimes the wan ip is listed as 0.0.0.0 or 192.168.200.40 within the linksys once the westell unit is bridged.

nwrickert
Mod
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL

nwrickert

Mod

If it works for a week, then quits, you might be having line problems.

matlark
@rr.com

matlark

Anon

The first time internet was lost I reset the westell 7500 to factory default and I still could not get internet, had to call the isp. After a day of jumping through hoops It came back. Same thing happened the second time. Now at least if I hit the factory reset button the internet is restored and I dont have to call them. When I called them they said they could see the modem, whatever that means, so I dont think it is a line problem, but I could be wrong. I had it working in bridged mode for a day before the internet was dropped most recently.
matlark

matlark

Anon

I am going to try a different method: if the westell ip is 192.168.1.1 I am going to set the linksys ip to 192.168.1.2 and set the linksys gateway ip to 192.168.1.1 (westell ip). Turning off the westell dhcp server, wireless, and firewall and let the linksys handle all that.

wayjac
MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy

wayjac

MVM

What internet connection type is used by your isp

matlark
@fuse.net

matlark

Anon

They use dhcp
matlark

matlark

Anon

Sorry... DSL DHCP server not PPPoE

wayjac
MVM
Indy

wayjac

MVM

Routed bridge is the same as dhcp and you must release the public ip before bridging the westell

Are you sure the vc1 configuration page has the Protocol and Bridge Mode options set to bridge

matlark
@fuse.net

matlark

Anon

I was just working on it again and verified that both fields have bridge filled in. After I release the dhcp before bridging, should the new router pick up the WAN IP address almost immediately or does it take some time????
thanks

wayjac
MVM
Indy

wayjac

MVM

The router will get a ip as soon as it requests a ip