jacobslive
Premium
join:2007-11-25
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·VOIPO
·PHONE POWER

What happened to those best PP customer care staff?

I was a phone-power customer for nearly 3 years and really enjoyed the service and outstanding customer care from PP. Nearly a year ago I have switched to another company to accommodate my requirement and budget. Right now I have 3 VOIP lines in the house. As we have moved from east to west, I have obtained a MJ plus with a very good phone number. Recently been to PP website and found pretty attractive deal that will accommodate my current requirements and I was expecting the same better service that I had in the past, oh boy I was wrong!

Day 1.
Went to local Frys to get a PP adapter bundle. Store 1 had a opened/customer returned pack which I didn't want to try because I didn't want to get messed up with the re-activation issues involved. Went to Store 2 and got a brand new pack. Came home and started activation process, here comes the starting trouble...

PP wont let me activate the adapter saying that it is not a retail adapter that I can activate online. Being a computer support professional for 14+ yrs I knew it is a adapter/mac authorization issue. Being a support guy I never pretend to be tech savvy when dealing with customer support as no one likes competition Assuming this is a technical issue, I started online chat with "tech" person and explained the situation and copy pasted the error message I got from PP website. To my surprise this guy transferred the chat to "sales" department :O. Ok, I thought I might be wrong and it is a sales issue and continued to chat with sales rep and she suggested me that I should call the "billing" department. Well, I called the "billing" department and learned PP "sales" and "billing" is same department. Here it goes again, explained from beginning, this girl understood its a technical issue and transferred me to "tech" support. Again, explained the situation (4th) time to the technical guy, after listening carefully this guys wanted to transfer me to "sales" department!!! Ok, time up, that is it, I lost my temper. I raised my volume this time and asked this guy to stop bouncing me from sales to tech to billing to sales! Ok now he started realizing I hate the bouncing game and agreed to help me. After putting me on hold for 2-3 minutes he figured out the issue as I guessed. Mac ID not in their authorized devices list! He added my device mac ID to their system and I was able to proceed with the registration. I thanked him and he wanted to know from where (store and location) I got this device and I gave him that info.

Completed online registration process and requested to transfer my number from MJ plus. I got a order confirmation email saying that I will get another email with the service activation notification.

Upon login to "my account" on PP website it says my service should be activated after midnight.

Day 2.
Midnight gone, mid day came. I got dial tone on my device, but wont let me dial any numbers. My account page stuck on after mid night message. Curious to know what happened I called the billing department and the lady told me MJ rejected my porting request and my service is not activated. Hello, PP should have shoot an email to me informing me the situation at least! Well I kept this thought to myself and asked the lady the reason for rejection. She said, MJ wants my account number and the pin number. Now, I asked the lady, will I be able to use the service during the number porting process or do I have to wait until the number porting completed? She said, I should be able to make outgoing calls while waiting for number porting, but incoming will work only after porting completed. But to do this, I should get the account number and pin from MJ and give it to PP. I knew she is right as I ported number to PP in the past and it was the same situation that time. I thanked the lady and hang up.

Now I called MJ and got the account number and the pin number. Called back PP billing again. This time another lady came to phone. Explained the situation, she checked the past call record. She took the account number and pin number. This time I asked her when the service will be activated so that I can start making outgoing calls. She said 3-10 business days! I said I am not asking about number porting but service activation, she said she understood that and repeated 3-10 business days.

I believe I am stuck now as PP initiated number porting and I don't want lose my number. So I have no other option but to wait 3-10 business days.

PP surely has to concentrate on employee training. Their customer support was not like this in the past. I never had such a horrible experience in the past with PP. Tech guys were so good as they exactly new what they were doing, not anymore! So sad! I was planning to move my other 2 numbers to PP, but now I realized that it would be another horrible mistakes, so never again!

I have a pretty good review written for PP 2 years ago. I believe its time to update with single stars!

jacobslive
Premium
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·VOIPO
·PHONE POWER

Click for full size
Expand your moderator at work

jacobslive
Premium
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·VOIPO
·PHONE POWER
reply to jacobslive

Re: What happened to those best PP customer care staff?

Click for full size
UPDATE 02/01/2012:

Today I got a call from Ms. C from PP and apologized for the inconvenience. She promised me to activate the line with a temp. # until my number port is completed. Within minutes the service was up and running. I am able to make and receive calls to the temp. # assigned.

At this point I would request PP to insert a small info to their website advising for those who trying to port their number to PP with their initial order that the service will not be activated until number porting is completed, if that is the PP policy. I could not find this information anywhere in the KB or Order page on PP website.

I would like to thank and appreciate Ms. C for stepping in and correcting the situation. Apart from activation process, I would still request PP to advise it's care staff to carefully understand the issue and try to resolve it rather than bouncing the customer between departments. That's where it makes the difference of PhonePower Customer Care

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

When I ported I was able to place outgoing calls as soon as I had dialtone, but I had no phone number (since that was to be the ported number.)

The verbiage you want to have inserted is right there in your screen shot, "If you are transferring your phone number..."

Unless they changed something, that is what should normally happen. You had dialtone, but you're saying you could not dial out - that sounds like it was just an issue with your account setup, not a normal event.
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

jacobslive
Premium
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·VOIPO
·PHONE POWER

Though my adapter was activated via online process, they did not setup my account fully until I escalated the issue. I believe that was the reason I wasn't able to make any calls. I think PP has changed the process as some of their communication lately prompted that the account would not setup until the number porting is completed, which means no outgoing calls even though your adapter is activated.

PP acknowledged that the porting process was/is not communicated properly while placing the order (checkout the response to my review by PP).

»/comment/78118

I hope they will take care of the situation for future customers.

PhonePower
Premium
join:2007-07-20
Winnetka, CA
kudos:1

1 edit
reply to jacobslive

I have reviewed the cause of your issue and it boils down to the facts that 90% of providers respond virtually instantly with an FOC (firm order commit) date. That's basically a date in the future when your number will automatically port to phone power. We use this date to build your account, including but limited to your billing cycle since we don't charge you for the interim period.

In your case, Magic Jack short circuits the process by responding with a request for pin and password. This delays our receipt of the FOC date, compounded with the fact that we were challenged by a three day new year's holiday on your order.

We have changed the verbiage in our initial "order confirmation email" to better address the fact that outbound calling will not be available until we have the port date.

jacobslive
Premium
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·VOIPO
·PHONE POWER

Glad to hear that you took care of that in the order confirmation email.

I appreciate your input here that will help a lot of potential customers to understand the porting process and activation timeline.

It would be more grateful if you can put that information on your website under KB / FAQ area.

topgun

join:2011-01-31
Reviews:
·VOIPO
·PHONE POWER

They do have the best tech support You American is just to impatient!
--
I got the need for speed »bit.ly/topgunparody