neonhomer
Dearborn 5-2750
Premium Member
join:2004-01-27
Edgewater, FL

neonhomer to BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

to BHNtechXpert

Re: [Internet] ISPGEEK Site possible issues.

Well... Bad thing is if you go to five different speed tests, and they all tell you 6.5/.9 (on a 10/1 tier).. then you go to BHN's test and they tell you 10.1/1.1 or something like that.

How in the hell is that right? A majority of the Internet is NOT on BHN's network, so what good is an advertised 10/1 connection if you never get it except on BHN's network?

That's like saying your car has 300HP, but only if you drive on roads built by Ford....
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by neonhomer:

Well... Bad thing is if you go to five different speed tests, and they all tell you 6.5/.9 (on a 10/1 tier).. then you go to BHN's test and they tell you 10.1/1.1 or something like that.

How in the hell is that right? A majority of the Internet is NOT on BHN's network, so what good is an advertised 10/1 connection if you never get it except on BHN's network?

That's like saying your car has 300HP, but only if you drive on roads built by Ford....

Neon no provider has control over anything outside their network and to expect it is unrealistic and demonstrates a lack of working understanding on how the internet works. We would love to be able to insure network stability everywhere you traverse on the internet and maybe in a perfect world that might someday be the case....today however we do not live in that perfect world and all we can do is insure that everything on our end is right and hope that everyone else does their job.

neonhomer
Dearborn 5-2750
Premium Member
Edgewater, FL

neonhomer

Premium Member

I don't know where I was going with that. Just irritation as speed... or the lack thereof.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by neonhomer:

I don't know where I was going with that. Just irritation as speed... or the lack thereof.

Why are you going to five DIFFERENT speed test sites to begin with? You realize each destination will cause you to traverse a different path on the internet and each will have their own potential network or server bottlenecks that impede accurate resilts NONE of which you will know about or have any control over. Pick one site and test server and stick with it and DON'T test unless you suspect a problem...first testing on net and if all goes well then you know the issue resides off net and beyond the scope or control of your local provider.

neonhomer
Dearborn 5-2750
Premium Member
Edgewater, FL

neonhomer

Premium Member

said by BHNtechXpert:

Why are you going to five DIFFERENT speed test sites to begin with?

"On second thought, I have changed my mind. Take me back..."