mm
I Did It My Way
Premium Member
join:2001-04-07
Summerville, SC

mm

Premium Member

MSN Direct pulls the plug on Jan 1, 2012

FYI anyone with a GPS with MSN traffic will be disappointed to know that as of Jan 1, 2012 the service will go dark. I have a Garmin Nuvi with MSN traffic and an Oregon Scientific weather station that will be a doorstop soon. A GPS will continue to function for driving instructions but traffic updates will not work.

For more info you can read here:

»www.msndirect.com/

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

wow I thought they got rid of that service like 2 years ago at least that's when i started to hear things about they would be stopping it soon.

EGeezer
Premium Member
join:2002-08-04
Midwest

EGeezer to mm

Premium Member

to mm
Since this is January 26, 2012 it's been gone for almost a month. I have a Garmin Nuvi 1490LMT, but it uses Navteq and the Traffic alerts still work.

On a side note, however, the service seems to me to not yet be ready for prime time. It's often late in reporting slowdowns and late in updating statuses.
said by OP's link :

Thank you for visiting Microsoft MSN Direct product page.
As originally announced in October 2009, the MSN Direct service was discontinued as of January 1st, 2012.

Discontinuation of the MSN Direct service means your supported device no longer receives the MSN Direct content such as Weather, Traffic, News, etc. Other device features not dependent on MSN Direct content, such as navigation, should not be affected by discontinuation of MSN Direct service.

Microsoft customer support is available to answer any questions about existing subscriptions or refund eligibility at 1-866-658-7032 only until February 29, 2012.