Search similar:

uniqs
DanTou
join:2006-10-14
Quebec, QC

DanTou to adminsly

to adminsly

Before you port your number...

Test with another number (DID) you can buy from voip.ms for $1. If your cell plan is your main phone, you may have problems for a few days while you setup everything.
DanTou

2 edits

DanTou to adminsly

to adminsly

911 is available if you use the regular dialing on your phone. So, in case of an emergency, you don't have to worry about server outages.

But... Watch out! I used regular dialing a few times by mistake: I got charged 20 cents/minute. Not a big deal if you don't make the mistake too often.

Bell/Telus will give you a phone number: don't give that phone number to anyone. It is of no use anyway as you will use voip.ms phone number.
DanTou

DanTou to adminsly

to adminsly

Recording

Don't forget to turn on "recording" in SipDroid. Useful when getting promises from Bell/Videotron.
DanTou

DanTou to adminsly

to adminsly

Funny thing

When you have an ATA at home and a cell phone...

You can call home from your cell. You can call your cell from home... With the same number!

adminsly
@electronicbox.net

adminsly to DanTou

Anon

to DanTou

Re: 911

if i take a data plan they still give me a phone number ??
adminsly

adminsly to DanTou

Anon

to DanTou

Re: Funny thing

yes this i know , because i think they bith gonna ring at same time, of course not if i am calling myself, but if i receive call.
DanTou
Quebec, QC

DanTou to adminsly

to adminsly

Re: 911

Telus told me they always give a phone number, even with tablets.

I think, with tablets, the phone number is only for their billing system; you can't use it.

The Telus $10/100Mb is an option for prepaid phones, not tablets, so you will be charged about $1 for 911.

I don't think you'll be charged the 911 fees if you succeed in telling them you have a tablet. But I haven't tried that yet. They tell me data plans are incompatible with phones. I don't really believe that. Data is data. Prepaid or not. But, I can't tell you it works because I haven't tried it yet.

But reading the Telus site, I found this: "If a SIM card is installed on a voice device, airtime is charged at $1.00 per minute". So, I guess it does work. But don't make the mistake of answering or calling with the regular phone instead of SipDroid! I haven't found a way to disable the regular phone.
DanTou

DanTou to adminsly

to adminsly

Blocking regular phone calls

I found a way...

Installing Avast! Free Mobile Security gives you the ability to block all incoming and outgoing phone calls.

SipDroid incoming and outgoing calls still work.

If you wish, you can also block incoming SMS (SMS is a $5 option at Telus). You can still send SMS, but it's more obvious, so you won't do it if you didn't take the option.

You should replace the regular phone by SipDroid in the dock at the base of the screen. You should also link contacts with SipDroid only: you will have full phone integration through SipDroid.

adminsly
@electronicbox.net

adminsly

Anon

i heard that the batterie does not last long, how long do you last with sidroid?
DanTou
Quebec, QC

DanTou to adminsly

to adminsly

Battery life on a Samsung Gio

If I don't use it much, 3 days.

I use it as a FLAC player, I use a few Internet apps every day. But I talk no more than a couple minutes per day. SipDroid seems to take more CPU (battery life) than the regular phone. It is expected because it's not using built-in phone functions. I have never tested how long I could talk to completely drain the batteries.

The batteries always last a full day (for my use).

You should install an app to monitor CPU (I use Watchdog). If you get rid of apps that use too much CPU, your batteries will last longer. You should also install an app to monitor 3G data (I use My Data Manager).

Completely off topic: I use Dropbox almost everyday. It will sync all files in designated folders. On your PC, the complete files will be in sync with "the cloud". On your phone, only the file names. When you select one of the files, it will ask if you want to download. Very clever and very useful.
DanTou

DanTou to adminsly

to adminsly

Samsung Gio on sale

Sale juste started at Bestbuy: $100

»www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/pro ··· 659cen02

adminsly
@electronicbox.net

adminsly

Anon

thanks
adminsly

adminsly to DanTou

Anon

to DanTou

Re: Battery life on a Samsung Gio

does your batterie last 2 days ??

what is the quality of call ? does it cut often or is delay ?

sly
DanTou
Quebec, QC

DanTou to adminsly

to adminsly

Battery life and call quality

Just one delay I had to get used to: when you answer a call. When talking, I have tried calling myself on a home phone: with a phone on each ear, it think it's a fraction of a second... 1/10 maybe. Quality of call is as good as any other phone: very clear.

I recharge my phone every night. Most of the time, it's not half empty. But like I said before, I'm not using the phone like some people I know who seem to always be on the phone. If you're thinking about calling your mom, and talk for more than an hour, I guess the battery would drain. When I do use the phone for a long period of time (as a FLAC player for example), I plug it into a USB port or car adapter or charger.

adminsly
@electronicbox.net

adminsly

Anon

i miss the secial at bestbuy , but now i will buy the samsung ace as you sugest me....

any special ??

thanks
Balzard
join:2012-01-12

Balzard to adminsly

to adminsly

Re: what is the best to replace cell plan?

I too have the Samsung Gio. If you can find it at $100 or lower, it will be a good deal.

You can unlock it for free using this method

»forums.redflagdeals.com/ ··· 13455659

You can also use a different method to make calls using voip.ms, see instructions here

»forums.redflagdeals.com/ ··· -919161/

adminsly
@electronicbox.net

adminsly

Anon

hi, from another user , he told me if i take a tablet plan, you need to change sp.telus.com to isp.telus.com, and on the gio it is easy and on the ace he did not find how to make that change. so that make the ace unusable with telus tablet plan.

Rigor_M
join:2010-09-26
Quebec, QC

Rigor_M to DanTou

to DanTou

Re: Android phone

Hi, I have a question regarding PBXes web site.

Why use there services ? You can setup sipDroid with voip.ms's sub-account and use it directly ?

thanks !
DanTou
Quebec, QC

DanTou to adminsly

to adminsly

Re: what is the best to replace cell plan?

Because voip.ms uses UDP, not TCP.

Your phone will disconnect every few seconds from the network. If you setup your phone to reconnect every few seconds, it will eat up your data plan and the battery won't last more than a few hours.

My Samsung Gio lasted about 4 hours with UDP. With TCP, 3 days (on standby).

Rigor_M
join:2010-09-26
Quebec, QC

Rigor_M

said by DanTou:

Because voip.ms uses UDP, not TCP.

Your phone will disconnect every few seconds from the network. If you setup your phone to reconnect every few seconds, it will eat up your data plan and the battery won't last more than a few hours.

My Samsung Gio lasted about 4 hours with UDP. With TCP, 3 days (on standby).

ooohhh !! thats a good reason !

But, I could Install a Asterisk or freeswitch on a server at home and do the same thing ?

adminsly
@electronicbox.net

adminsly to DanTou

Anon

to DanTou
ok i did all the step but thats not working, do i need to setup something in voip.ms, i create a sub accouint ans select it did sip/iax

do i need something else ? it is not ringing
adminsly

adminsly to adminsly

Anon

to adminsly
ok when i call the number (i buy at voipms to test) it is busy.

in the sipdroid the authorization user name what do i put ? is it my user from pbxes or ???
DanTou
Quebec, QC

DanTou to adminsly

to adminsly
In your phone, you put the username and password from pbxes.org.

In pbxes.org, you put the subaccount name and password from voip.ms.

adminsly
@electronicbox.net

adminsly

Anon

i did some progress, i can now make call but can not receive, it ring once than busy
adminsly

adminsly to DanTou

Anon

to DanTou
i now have my voicemail enable , i get in. where in voip.ms i set to route to pbxes ? incoming call
adminsly

adminsly

Anon

ok now it all seem to work, we have to configure incoming route in pbxes ... thats it i can receive and send.
DanTou
Quebec, QC

DanTou to adminsly

to adminsly
Have fun!

Keep us posted on the phone you are using, battery life, sound quality...

I like mine, but like I said before, I'm not talking more than a couple of minutes a day. If you talk 30 minutes, I wonder about battery life... But who's talking more than 30 minutes a day on a cell? (except on unlimited, expensive plans). It probably varies from phone to phone.

adminsly
@electronicbox.net

adminsly

Anon

cool, yes i will..... thanks again without your help i would be still trying to figure it out....

sly
adminsly

adminsly

Anon

there is one thing i need to do and it does not work.

i paired my jawbone2 with the phone, but i have no sound at all in my bluetooth, nothing from sipdroid and nothing from sound apps.

where in the gio i need to tell to use bluetooth when connect?

sly
DanTou
Quebec, QC

1 edit

DanTou

I don't have any Bluetooth accessories so I can't test it. I guess you may have to search for a forum speaking more precisely about the Gio.

Have you tried this? »androidforums.com/samsun ··· axy-gio/