how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Henderson50

join:2005-01-16
Chicago, IL

Port forwarding on the NVG510

While I've been pretty happy so far with Uverse and the speed, I'm running into some issues I can't get set up for gaming. Before switching to Uverse, I've always had a good reliable NAT router for my networked PCs (3 desktops, and at times 1 laptop and 1 netbook). It worked flawlessly for any game or for any reason I needed to open a port for a specific app.

The NVG510 though seems very limited what it can do. I've been struggling trying to set up port forwarding to allow us to play Diablo II on multiple computers, and no matter what I do, I can only get it set for one of the computers. I need to forward ports 4000 and 6112 both TCP and UDP for each computer playing at the time, which is at least 2, sometimes 3 in my case. If that's not done, certain areas in the game just keep constantly disconnecting us.

Under NAT Gaming, I can create new listings for the game, 1 for port 4000 and 1 for port 6112, and select one of the computers in the drop down for "Needed by device". When I go to open the port for the 2nd PC though, it won't allow it and gives the error "Pinhole Conflict Detected XXX".

There must be a way to do this within the NVG510. Or maybe should I be using the Packet Filter page for this? Or should I go through the hassles everyone else has trying to connect their router behind the NVG510? A planned holiday weekend of gaming in my house has been very disappointing.

Thanks for any suggestions with this.

wayjac
Premium,MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy
kudos:1
You can only direct a port to one device
What is the make and model number of the other router

Henderson50

Chicago, IL
The router I was able to do it with before was the Linksys WRT54GS with Tomato firmware installed. Might it work just forwarding to one of the 3 computers you're playing on? Although I don't see how that would work, but maybe I'm missing something.

I had an older BEFSR41 that I could do it on also and stopped the constantly disconnects from some games.

wayjac
Premium,MVM
Indy
I'm not sure I understand what you want to do

If you know that it can be done with another router using the ip passthrough option will allow the other router to share the public ip address
You'll need to delete the ports on the nvg510

Canezoid
End of line

join:2001-02-16
Powder Springs, GA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Henderson50
The NVG510 seems to be quite the POS when it comes to NAT'g, a lot of gaming complaints out there w/ it, just google & you'll see.

This unit not used in the SE a/o yet so I can't speak from hands on experience w/ it, but this article is very useful info for what you may need to do.

»broadband.custhelp.com/app/answe···id/21989

If you were working w/ no probs on the other router, follow the directions in the article & you should be good to go.

Just my 2c.

Henderson50

Chicago, IL
While I loved the Linksys routers, I was liking having one less thing plugged in between the tangle of wires and electrical cords with 3 desktop PCs (not to mention one less thing putting out heat in the summer). Sounds like I need to go back to the router though to really be able to open ports for those apps that need it.

It's not a problem if just one PC needs a port open for an app, but it seems odd there's no way to do it when all PCs on the network will need the same port open, such as now for a game.

Thank you both for the info.

wayjac
Premium,MVM
Indy
I would like to see that setup on the linksys or another router
I find it odd that you say you can open one internet port and direct the traffic to multiple computers

Henderson50

Chicago, IL
Actually before I disconnected the Linksys router, I took a screenshot of the forwarded ports just for a quick and easy way to get the list of what I use at times. Only 6 of these listed here are turned on, 4 of which are for Diablo being played on 2 of the desktops, rest I only turn on as needed. With this setup, neither computer is ever disconnected from Diablo. Having the ports forwarded to just 1 PC with the NVG510 means the 2nd and 3rd PCs are getting disconnected, we tried it that way today.

Canezoid
End of line

Powder Springs, GA
Reviews:
·Comcast
Curious as to why just having UPnP enabled would not handle this ? Why is it necessary to do this manually in that linksys ?

I/we don't play PC based games here, although PSN & XBL have been running here quite a while and I've never had to manually open ports, UPnP just took care of it. This would include multiple 360's on my LAN that my son & their friends would have hooked up at same time also. Had used previous Westell, Motorola & cable modem connections.

Currently on Uverse myself, 2wire 3801 w/ my Netgear handling LAN side. 1 dtop, laptop, PS3 and multiple smartphone stuff working no probs. My son used to play WOW, never had an issue or ever had to go into router to set it up. Netgear stuff I've been using for a while works great for all of this.

Henderson50

Chicago, IL
For security reasons, UPnP has always been disabled on my computers. When UPnP is enabled, it also causes an old WinXP bug where the "Safely remove hardware" icon will never appear in the system tray.

The Diablo issue only started to be a problem with one of the last updates, to .12 I believe. Before that we never had to open ports and never had the disconnects. But it's a killer when it happens in game, it seems to caused by some combination of mobs and environment is the best we can figure out. It happens in random places with a few locations having a higher chance to be hit with this combination, and once it happens, there is absolutely no way to move into that area at all with any character, not even to get your body, you will instantly be disconnected again once you get a few screens away from the mobs. Battlenet's tech support is where I was told how to stop it by opening those 2 ports for all PCs, and that definitely works.

wayjac
Premium,MVM
Indy
reply to Henderson50
Thanks for posting the picture and it confirms what you say

Henderson50

Chicago, IL

1 recommendation

I might have found a way to do it without adding the router back. After finding the IPs for the Battlenet server we play on, I set up Packet Filtering as the image below shows, with a filter for 4000 and 6112 for TCP and UDP for 2 PCs. That means it requires 8 filters for 2 PCs, 12 when we have someone playing on the 3rd PC, but so far we haven't had any disconnects in the last 3 gaming sessions with this method. It's possible we've just been very lucky and haven't had that combination that causes the instant disconnect, but it would be highly unusual for 3 sessions. Before this change it was happening every game, so I'm getting more hopeful this is a fix.

Canezoid
End of line

Powder Springs, GA
reply to Henderson50
This is nice. Glad to see a work around.

Maybe this might solve some of the XBL nat'g complaints for this thing. Def gonna mark this post so when I get my hands on when I can play a little.

Peace.

Henderson50

Chicago, IL
Well we're up to 6 gaming sessions now without an interruption, I really think this fixed it. So I'm definitely a happy camper with Uverse so far, the speed is about double what I had with Earthlink.

The NVG510's settings aren't as easy to manage as a router though. With the Linksys with Tomato firmware, I could just select to turn off settings but have them still remain, so it was simple to turn them on again when needed without entering all the IPs again.

But now I've had Directv installed this afternoon, and they couldn't get the Cinema feature to play nice with the NVG510, it kept saying no internet connection found. Anyone have tips for correcting that issue? They finally installed yet another adapter which needs another plug to get around it for now, but I'd much prefer getting my outlet back, it shouldn't be necessary.

Canezoid
End of line

Powder Springs, GA
Reviews:
·Comcast
Have you had to add any more rules for the other PC's in gaming sessions ?

Something needs to be changed/updated in that firmware, something simple shouldn't be so difficult to get executed to work right.

Nice to see it's working for you.

Henderson50

Chicago, IL
So far only for Diablo II. And I have to add the same rules for the same ports if we have someone on the 3rd PC playing of course. I hate trying to play on laptops/netbooks, but I'm certain they would need the filtering rules also for Diablo.

Otherwise haven't run into any other issues yet.