spc
Search similar:

uniqs
cheesedude
join:2011-12-11

cheesedude

[CenturyTel] CenturyLink Upload Speed Half What It Used To Be

Hi.

We have the 7 Mbs DSL plan with Qwest/CeturyLink. Download speeds are 5.96 Mbps to 6.15 Mbps, which is normal. The upload speed is almost half what it used to be under CenturyLink and I'm not happy about it. I'm doing about 0.47 Mbps max upload speed today according to internet speed tests.

I always thought the upload speed was an artificially low limit imposed to discourage people from hosting websites on their home computers with residential plans. I don't know what the heck CenturyLink's motivation for slicing the upload speed in half is if this is intentional. The upload speed on residential plans was poor to begin with and half of poor is absolute crap!

We have a download cap now with CenturyLink we never had before with Qwest and now upload speeds are half what they used to be. I'm not happy with CenturyLink at all.

Was there a CenturyLink policy change I am not aware of that reduced upload speeds? I tried visiting the CenturyLink website to look for the upload speed on the plans but the website is so bad the information is impossible to find. We have had Qwest DSL since 2001 and never has the upload speed been this slow.

Thanks for any information you can provide.
pabster
join:2001-12-09
Waterloo, IA

pabster

Re: [CenturyTel] CenturyLink Upload Speed Half What It Used To B

7Mbit has 896K *max* upload. I usually can hit very close to that. Upload speed on traditional DSL sucks, that is the nature of the technology and not an artificial limit being imposed by CenturyLink. The poor upload speed is my biggest regret switching from Cable but the price (half!) makes me live with it. For now.

What is your modem sync rate?
cheesedude
join:2011-12-11

cheesedude

I don't know what the modem sync rate is or where to find in the modem's status page. (Actiontec PK5000) I searched Yahoo and Google and found no information.

We used to upload for many years at 89 kBs. 8 bits to a byte that's 712,000 bits per second, which is close to the 896kbs accounting for TCP/IP overhead.

Now we are getting upload speeds of 32 - 45 Kilobytes per second. (256,000 - 360,000 kilobits per second).

The upload speed is half what it used to be and I'm not happy about it.

If you tell me where I can find the modem's sync rate, I'll look for it and report back.

Thanks for the reply.
cheesedude

cheesedude

I don't know if this is the "sync rate", but our connection rates are:

Upstream: 7168 Kbps
Downstream: 896 Kbps

I tested the upload and download rates on the Speakeasy.net Speed Test and got:

Download speed: 6.13 Mbps
Upload speed: 0.49 Mbps

I got similar figures on Speedtest.net.

On both tests, the upload speed rises as the test progresses reaching about 65 kBps (kilobytes) until about 75% through the test at which point the upload speed instantly drops to about the ending figure of 0.45 Mbps to 0.50 Mbps.

The Speedtest.net test is the same. The upload speed rises until about 75% through the test at which point it drops to about 0.49 Mbps.

As inexperienced with this as I am, it looks like the upload speed is being throttled down. Uploading a 100 MB file to a server results in upload speeds about half what the used to be. So there is an issue here. I have to think that CenturyLink is throttling upload speeds after a certain point.

BankerMama
join:2009-03-10
united state

BankerMama to cheesedude

to cheesedude
Your sync rate of 7168 tells me you are not on a 7Mbs plan or your connection is limiting you. That sync rate looks like a 6M plan. A 7M connection should sync around 8260. Your distance from their equip can be a limiting factor as well as your equipment/wiring.

codyyy
@embarqhsd.net

codyyy

Anon

same thing happened to me i was getting 4.00mbps and 0.75mbps upload speed then about a few weeks ago it went down to 0.47mbps