Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium Member
join:2003-07-20
Jamestown, NC

Matt3

Premium Member

[ipv6] DHCPv6 for OSX?

So it looks like, even in 10.7 Lion, DHCPv6 still isn't supported.

Is the only option to assign IPv6 info statically?

graysonf
MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL

graysonf

MVM

Re: [ipv6] DHCPv6 for OSX?

If your router can Send IPv6 router advertisements and you have at least a /64 IPv6 network, you can have auto-configured interfaces.

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium Member
Jamestown, NC

Matt3

Premium Member

said by graysonf:

If your router can Send IPv6 router advertisements and you have at least a /64 IPv6 network, you can have auto-configured interfaces.

My wireless interface is set to automatically for IPv6.

I have DHCPv6 configured in my pfSense firewall and my Windows 7 machine receives a DHCPv6 address just fine.

However, my OSX (Lion, 10.7) Macbook Air never receives anything but a link-local IPv6 address.

Ideas or suggestions?

(EDIT)

Here are the pfSense DHCPv6 options, I am using managed:
said by pfSense 2.1 :
Use "Router Only" to only advertise this router, "Unmanaged" for Router Advertising with Stateless Autoconfig, "Managed" for assignment through (a) DHCPv6 Server, "Assisted" for DHCPv6 Server assignment combined with Stateless Autoconfig It is not required to activate this DHCPv6 server when set to "Managed", this can be another host on the network.

graysonf
MVM
Fort Lauderdale, FL

graysonf

MVM

My router is m0n0wall 1.33.

I used to have its LAN interface set "Send IPv6 router advertisements."

I believe this is equivalent to pfsense's ""Unmanaged" for Router Advertising with Stateless Autoconfig"

But I no longer run this way, I prefer to assign IPs statically.

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium Member
Jamestown, NC

Matt3

Premium Member

graysonf See Profile, thanks.

Does anyone have OSX experience?

graysonf
MVM
Fort Lauderdale, FL

graysonf

MVM

Have you googled: DHCPv6 for OSX

Seems to be a fair amount of discussion, mostly about it not being supported, but a lot of that is not very recent.

whfsdude
Premium Member
join:2003-04-05
Washington, DC

whfsdude to Matt3

Premium Member

to Matt3
Running pfsense w/DHCPv6 and SLAAC. My 10.7 boxes pick up the DHCPv6 address and SLAAC just fine.

I end up w/three addresses:
1. SLAAC
2. SLAAC-PE
3. DHCPv6

I have mine set to Assisted as I want all three but I have tried it via setting the managed flag and works fine (except for my mobile devices that only support SLAAC).

I'm also running - 2.1-DEVELOPMENT (amd64)
built on Fri Nov 25 22:55:21 EST 2011

I would check to make sure that PC is actually getting a DHCPv6 address and it's not Teredo.

I would also run a tcpdump on the Mac and see what the router advertisements are showing. Keep in mind RA's are still needed so if multicast is broken somewhere on the network, DHCPv6 won't work.

sudo tcpdump -i your_int -vvv ip6

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium Member
Jamestown, NC

Matt3 to graysonf

Premium Member

to graysonf
said by graysonf:

Have you googled: DHCPv6 for OSX

Seems to be a fair amount of discussion, mostly about it not being supported, but a lot of that is not very recent.

Yes, which is why I am here. The results that popped up were old and some (around Lion) were conflicting.
Matt3

Matt3 to whfsdude

Premium Member

to whfsdude
said by whfsdude:

Running pfsense w/DHCPv6 and SLAAC. My 10.7 boxes pick up the DHCPv6 address and SLAAC just fine.

I end up w/three addresses:
1. SLAAC
2. SLAAC-PE
3. DHCPv6

I have mine set to Assisted as I want all three but I have tried it via setting the managed flag and works fine (except for my mobile devices that only support SLAAC).

I'm also running - 2.1-DEVELOPMENT (amd64)
built on Fri Nov 25 22:55:21 EST 2011

I would check to make sure that PC is actually getting a DHCPv6 address and it's not Teredo.

I would also run a tcpdump on the Mac and see what the router advertisements are showing. Keep in mind RA's are still needed so if multicast is broken somewhere on the network, DHCPv6 won't work.

sudo tcpdump -i your_int -vvv ip6

I am running 2.0.1 with the IPv6 add-on code. My PC is definitely getting an address from me HE.net /64, as I can query their DNS server and I pass the ipv6test.com test from it.

I'll give your other suggestions a shot shortly, thanks for the tips.

whfsdude
Premium Member
join:2003-04-05
Washington, DC

whfsdude

Premium Member

said by Matt3:

I am running 2.0.1 with the IPv6 add-on code

I recall an issue serval months ago where DHCPv6 was broken in pfsense's code. I am wondering if you're getting hit w/ that bug.

Does pfsense show any v6 leases? I'm wondering if the PC could be getting SLAAC instead of DHCPv6.
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

1 recommendation

34764170 (banned) to Matt3

to Matt3
said by Matt3:

So it looks like, even in 10.7 Lion, DHCPv6 still isn't supported.

Is the only option to assign IPv6 info statically?

DHCPv6 *is* supported with 10.7.