Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

jice65

join:2003-10-08
San Francisco, CA

1 edit

2Wire 2701HG-B in combination with Airport Express 802.11n

Using the 2701HG-B, I haven't been getting very good wifi connectivity within my apartment. I have an Airport Express which I've tested to provide better connectivity (I just set up a second network as a LAN with no internet connection). And, it has the bonus of being 802.11n for my devices that can use it.

My 2Wire works great for wired connectivity (to my desktop and my entertainment system).

So, I'd like to let the 2Wire continue to be my DSL modem as well as my wired internet router. It can remain as my firewall, my NAT, DHCP and my DNS lookup. But, I'd like to turn off the wireless, plug in the Airport Express (via ethernet cable) and allow the the Airport Express to provide wireless connectivity.

What is the terminology for what I wish to do?

Is this the best way to accomplish my goal of providing wired and wireless access and connectivity while having one device control NAT, etc?

Any tips?

Yeah, I guess it might be simpler to use the 2Wire in bridge mode as a base station only and then buy an Airport Extreme (or similar). But, I thought I might as well try what I have on hand first.

Thanks in advance.

jice65

San Francisco, CA

1 edit
Apologies for the self followup.

Is what I want to do just as simple as turning off the wifi on the 2Wire and setting the Airport Express in bridge mode (to merely pass on network traffic)? Sounds simple. Did I miss something?

That is, use the Airport Express as a WAP?

Thanks

wayjac
Premium,MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy
kudos:1
said by jice65:

Is what I want to do just as simple as turning off the wifi on the 2Wire and setting the Airport Express in bridge mode (to merely pass on network traffic)?

Yes what you have posted will give you the results you want, I'm guessing that you will connect the airport express to the 2wire using a ethernet cable

jice65

San Francisco, CA
Thanks for your confirmation. It was straightforward to setup and provides improved wifi connectivity.

I also decided to add an additional Airport Express (to extend the netword and provide streaming audio to a remote system).

It appears that I could leave the wifi enabled on the 2Wire, but I'm happy enough with the 802.11n of the two Airport Express units.