how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Rejerob

join:2012-01-01
Linden, NJ

[Home Networking] Wireless Connection

I have Earthlink DSL. Is it compatible with a Verizon DSL Gateway GT704WG? I need a wireless connection for my Ipod Touch. Verizon says it only works with Verizon DSL. If so, can anyone direct me to very simple directions for installation.

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium,VIP
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30
kudos:18

Reset the unit to remove any Verizon specific settings.

Resetting your Actiontec GT704WG gateway to the default settings
»www22.verizon.com/ResidentialHel···7897.htm

Then setup the Modem to connect to Earthlink DSL.

You manually select a PPPoE type connection using your ELNK Username and Password and selecting the VPI/VCI for your ADSL line (8/35)} with LLC SNAP protocol instead of VC-Mux.

HTH
--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?

wayjac
Premium,MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy
kudos:1
reply to Rejerob

You can reconfigure the gt704 so that it works like a access point

This faq has the instructions needed to do this
Using a Wireless Router as an Access Point

Rejerob

Linden, NJ
reply to Rejerob

First of all, I'd like to thank all of you who responded to my question.
I did reset the gt704 to the factory settings, and then I hooked it up. Everything seems to be working ok, except for one not so minor detail- I can't connect to the internet. The internet light is solid red, all others are solid green(the ethernet is flickering a bit though).
I looked in the Utilities feature, and I read that there were authentication failures. There also was a difference of 1 number between the the last digit of the default gateway IP address and the computer IP address-I don't know it that's a problem or not.
It's kind of difficult trying to research the problem because I have to disconnect the gt704, and re-connect my old modem.

wayjac
Premium,MVM
Indy

said by Rejerob:

It's kind of difficult trying to research the problem because I have to disconnect the gt704, and re-connect my old modem

You can make the needed changes to the gt704 without connecting it to the dsl line

Rejerob

Linden, NJ

Once again thanx for all replies. I have tried to do this on my own, but as a complete novice-I have failed. I would need step by step instructions to get this done, and even then I'm not sure I could. I was reading the user manual for the gt704, and I have no idea about most of what they are talking about.
I assume that Best Buy's Geek Squad would be able to do this. Would I have to have them come to my house, or could I just take the gt704 into them. If the latter is possible, I would assume that I would have to provide them with certain info about, (like IP addresses)

wayjac
Premium,MVM
Indy

What is the make and model number of your current dsl modem

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium,VIP
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30
kudos:18
reply to Rejerob

Which version do you have?

a] Verizon version 3.20.3.3.5.0.9.1.5 firmware (pale blue background) used on our Retail GT704-WG for Verizon

OR

b] Verizon version 3.20.3.3.5.0.9.2.8 firmware (red background) used on our Retail GT704-WG for Verizon
--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?

Rejerob

Linden, NJ
reply to wayjac

A ZyXel P-600 series (provided by Earthlink)

wayjac
Premium,MVM
Indy

You can configure the gt704 to be a access point without connecting it to the dsl line

If the ip address of the p-600 is 192.168.1.1
You should change the ip address of the gt704 to 192.168.1.253
And disable the gt704 dhcp server

Rejerob

Linden, NJ
reply to Doctor Olds

I am not 100% exactly sure what firmware is, but it sounds like you are talking about the background of the page I am taken to when I enter »192.168.1.1, into my browser. If so, it is red. It wouldn't surprise me if it needed to be updated, because I did read somewhere about updating the firmware, and I bought the gt704 about 4 years ago, and it hasn't been updated since. I wasn't able to update because I can't connect to the internet with the gt704.

I did do a diagnosis for the internet connection problem in Windows, and this is what it said: Windows cannot connect to the internet using HTTP, HTTPS, or FTP. This is probably caused by firewall settings on this computer.

Check the firwall settings for the HTTP port(80). HTTPS port(443) and FTP port(21).

You might need to contact your internet service provider(ISP) or the manufacturer of your firewall software.

I also was trying to figure things out a while back, and I read somewhere about having an authentication failure.

Rejerob

Linden, NJ
reply to wayjac

Yes, I think that the IP address of the P-600 is 192.168.1.1
I will try and figure out what the dhcp server is and how to disable it.

wayjac
Premium,MVM
Indy

1 recommendation

said by Rejerob:

I will try and figure out what the dhcp server is and how to disable it

From the gt704 home page click the advanced setup icon
Click the lan ip address link then change the modem ip address to 192.168.1.253
Click the apply button
Go back to the advanced setup page