TSI Marc
Premium Member
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON

1 edit

TSI Marc

Premium Member

TekSavvy pricing update

Hey gang I just wanted to give you a heads up. As you know the CRTC decided on wholesale pricing last November. We have had to adjust our prices accordingly, and we will be issuing a notice to our subs about that tomorrow. We are not happy about the new pricing, and we will make our voices heard in the coming weeks. Our subscribers are substantial bandwidth users(not that there is anything wrong with that), so these wholesale price changes may soon translate into substantial increases. For now we are trying to:

1. Minimize the cost increase until we get a better focus on our subscribers' usage patterns(peak time/not peak time and at various speeds)and its impact on how much capacity we need to buy from the incumbents.

2. Introduce(...some may remember many moons ago), unlimited free usage between 2AM and 8AM every day. This should take some of the cost pressure off of our heaviest downloading users.

The circumstances are challenging, to say the least, but we continue to try our best to hold the line on costs, and maximize speed/usage and our ability to continue to serve you best.

As I said, look for the details tomorrow.

*update*

Here's the english link;

»www.teksavvy.com/en/newp ··· ion.html

and here's the french link;

»www.teksavvy.com/fr/newp ··· nfr.html
grunze510
join:2009-02-14
Cote Saint-Luc, QC

grunze510

This makes me a sad panda.

So who wants to step us to be the Don't Sue People Panda?
Maedros
join:2008-04-01

Maedros to TSI Marc

to TSI Marc
i must have derped big time, i thought that this was only applicable to DSL users...?

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

said by Maedros:

i must have derped big time, i thought that this was only applicable to DSL users...?

I think Rogers filed a tariff for cable that didn't include any capacity pricing per POI link for non aggregated POI's.

We'll see.
grunze510
Cote Saint-Luc, QC

grunze510 to Maedros

to Maedros
said by Maedros:

Nope, cable and DSL. Surprisingly though, the only place where the new pricing might benefit us is TekSavvy Cable in Quebec. The current TPIA pricing is so awful that the new stuff is actually better. You know the retail UBB (which became retail minus 15%) that we were supposed to get back in March of last year? Videotron has been charging that since 2006 or something. Not to mention high installation fees (about $80, I think TekSavvy has to eat some of that), and the DOCSIS 3.0 tiers don't give a lot of room for a markup.
aver
join:2007-12-03
Kitchener, ON

aver to TSI Marc

to TSI Marc
Are we talking $20 increase to keep the same cap or $50? (On cable)

Ott_Cable
@teksavvy.com

Ott_Cable to HiVolt

Anon

to HiVolt
I was hoping that the 2 years of phasing out the aggregated POI would at least make some breathing room for us TPIA users on Rogers...

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

said by Ott_Cable :

I was hoping that the 2 years of phasing out the aggregated POI would at least make some breathing room for us TPIA users on Rogers...

I guess we find out tomorrow.

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium Member
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON

TwiztedZero to TSI Marc

Premium Member

to TSI Marc
*C R I N G E*

butt clenching & teeth gnashing ensues

We knew it was a commin' , but, but, but . . .

- sigh - , shakes head . . .
Maedros
join:2008-04-01

Maedros to aver

to aver
yeah. im curious how this will work out. if its comparable to rogers 60 or 80 GB package (or whatever they currently have)

as a gamer, i need reliability, so 300 gig caps sounds nice, but in all honestly i can do without.

plus, i dont see any rogers subscribers without internet for nearly 2 weeks now.

im, in the minority here, but im sure there are others who feel the same.

oh well, guess we wait.
Maedros

Maedros

ewww

i feel dirty. i just went to rogers website to see their package prices. and they have 50% off their packages atm.

...well, for 6 months, and only if you sign for a year contract.

so thats really like 25% off.

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

El Quintron to TSI Marc

Premium Member

to TSI Marc
Keep us posted...
InvalidError
join:2008-02-03

InvalidError to grunze510

to grunze510
said by grunze510:

You know the retail UBB (which became retail minus 15%) that we were supposed to get back in March of last year? Videotron has been charging that since 2006 or something.

There is no "minus 15%" on Videotron's UBB, Videotron's wholesale UBB has been full retail price from the day they launched their TPIA tariff.

... few more hours to wait and find out how much I might regret not taking Bell's holidays promo...

Ott_Cable
@teksavvy.com

Ott_Cable to TSI Marc

Anon

to TSI Marc
I hope TSI can expand the unlimited free usage hours once they have a better feel on their customers' usage pattern.

I hope this would be automatic and not require users to restart their sessions. Cable users at certain areas would be at huge risk of recent DHCP issues.

TSI Marc
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

1 edit

TSI Marc to El Quintron

Premium Member

to El Quintron
We were hoping to get it out tonight but with the holidays and all it just didn't work. I did want to start the conversation though and especially talk about the nightly unlimited thing and how useful that might be. It's really difficult to predict what most of our existing users might do with the new offerings and what kind of usage patterns they might have at peak and off peak depending what speeds they choose.
grunze510
Cote Saint-Luc, QC

grunze510 to InvalidError

to InvalidError
said by InvalidError:

said by grunze510:

You know the retail UBB (which became retail minus 15%) that we were supposed to get back in March of last year? Videotron has been charging that since 2006 or something.

There is no "minus 15%" on Videotron's UBB, Videotron's wholesale UBB has been full retail price from the day they launched their TPIA tariff.

... few more hours to wait and find out how much I might regret not taking Bell's holidays promo...

That's what I meant, I just explained it badly. Videotron was actually going to go with the retail minus 15% thing back in March, but when UBB was killed off, they went back to retail "minus 0" pricing. I don't think I need to explain why.

TSI Marc
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

1 edit

TSI Marc to Ott_Cable

Premium Member

to Ott_Cable
right, yeah. So we've been looking at doing interim updates on our routers (this is only applicable to DSL users BTW since there's no pppoe session with cable that we can do this with). The most we can do is every hour. We haven't made the change yet and we're hoping all the equipment can handle it with this many users but in essence all session updates that start between 2 and 3am and those who finish between 7 and 8am will be dropped.. this should make it so nobody needs to kill sessions or anything like that.

This is all stuff we're still playing with since it's going to be a heck of a tax on the equipment. We've got really good gear so I'm crossing my fingers it all works out. We're trying to come up with cool stuff though.

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

It's a bit of a short off-peak period, isn't it? 2-8am?

Or is that where the capacity will be at it's very cheapest?

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron to TSI Marc

Premium Member

to TSI Marc
said by TSI Marc:

We were hoping to get it out tonight but with the holidays and all it just didn't work. I did want to start the conversation though and especially talk about the midnight thing and how useful that might be. It's really difficult to predict what most of our existing users might do with the new offerings and what kind of usage patterns they might have at peak and off peak depending what speeds they choose.

Fair enough, I'm an all around high user anyway, so I don't really know what the best option is going to be, I may have to bite it and get ready to eat the max overage every month.

I assume I'm going to be fairly active in this thread in the next couple of days or so.

TSI Marc
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

TSI Marc to HiVolt

Premium Member

to HiVolt
It's where usage on the network is the least utilized.. so the idea is that if we can try to get everybody doing their downloading at night where possible and less at peak times (and we certainly don't want to affect business hours).. then we can offer better packages for everybody. This is not meant to try to force people to do things they don't want to do but where possible, if it's just as easy to start a long download at 2am or schedule it so it starts then.. instead of starting it say at 6 or 7 pm after dinner.. then all the better.
TSI Marc

TSI Marc to El Quintron

Premium Member

to El Quintron
Np, having dealt with some of you before I'm expecting it'll be an interesting conversation. I had my drink with me tonight expecting to have at it but we decided to hold off until tomorrow. I know there's at least one wrestler that's out of a job right now, maybe I should call him up and see if he can come help me once this goes live.

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

Hehe...

I'm more interested to see what the Cable on Rogers will be...

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron to TSI Marc

Premium Member

to TSI Marc
said by TSI Marc:

I know there's at least one wrestler that's out of a job right now, maybe I should call him up and see if he can come help me once this goes live.

I don't think you have too much to worry about (from me at least) I'm just looking for the best deal with the least hassles. So if there is something like a max overage, and it's predictable then it'll be all good.

I think most of your users being higher volume users will go for the predictability factor.
resa1983
Premium Member
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON

resa1983

Premium Member

I wonder how much this'll affect the "lower" (comparatively) volume customers like myself.... I pull maybe 150GB/month, but almost all of it'll be during peak. :\
bbhog
join:2010-07-05
North York, ON

bbhog to TSI Marc

to TSI Marc
I thought the new wholesale prices don't take affect till the end of 2013. Why are we seeing this now?
BlackDove
join:2009-08-09

BlackDove to TSI Marc

to TSI Marc
I really hope the price does not go up much, since as of today bell is offering me 6M instead of 5, with 150GB cap for the same $40 i'm already paying... i'd rather stay with tek so we'll see.
Guru
join:2008-10-01

Guru to TSI Marc

to TSI Marc
This sucks
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned) to TSI Marc

to TSI Marc
Being a heavy user I have no choice but to stay with cable and with TSI. I just hope the pricing doesn't go up too much.
chutril
join:2012-01-02
Ottawa, ON

chutril to TSI Marc

to TSI Marc
Thanks for the update. My contract with Rogers is up at the end of the month, and I'm chomping at the bit to get away from having to stop downloading after the third week.

nitzguy
Premium Member
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON

nitzguy to TSI Marc

Premium Member

to TSI Marc
So, will this mean higher price for less cap room for DSL people?

Cable, I could honestly care less, my threads about that have already been front and centre since it'll be a dogs age before I have any type of Cable service where I live.

I'm trying to figure out this whole unlimited free usage thing, I have the 300gig plan...heck even if I scale back to 200gig I should be ok as I only went to 140gig last month...

Well...anyways, here's to hoping it might not be too much or I might have to put some new measures on the ole home network or ask others to fork over their fair share .