uniqs
BobHelms
Premium Member
join:2008-06-22
Cary, NC

BobHelms

Premium Member

[Services] Wireless Upgrade

I need to upgrade basic DSL service currently using a 2210 by adding wireless capability. I would prefer to stay in the good graces of AT&T when I do it. I read some where that swapping out the 2210 with a 2-Wire is a good solution. However I'm seeking opinions on the best way to add wireless (Kindle) capability and keep the existing (laptop) wired setup. TIA for any help provided.
Bob Helms

Hayward0
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium Member
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL

Hayward0

Premium Member

There is really no need to feel that way. Just hook up a wireless router.

When ATT went through the net password change fiasco recently I was very surprised working it out, that the CS reps had no problem with me having my own router and the modem bridged, and were also very knowing of the workings of a Netgear router, to do the change there.

Think they have figured out insisting on now outside gear was a loosing battle. Especially sing only the most recent modems have the built in WiFi capability... to insist on it would mean massive modem swaps they would have to do for free, or many subscribers jumping ship.

Sure you can do a modem swap but unless they will do it free, might as well just get your own router and not worry about it.
medbuyer
join:2003-11-20
Memphis, TN

medbuyer to BobHelms

to BobHelms
you can do either of these...

1. Replace your modem with a 3347 model, NOT with a 2Wire. Might be cheaper if you can get a good used unit off ebay or craigslist. Ball park prices have been around $20 to $30 for a used unit, might even get it lower than that.

2. Add a wireless router and disable its dhcp function, basically making it into an access point / switch. This might be a little more money than the 1st option unless, you get a really..really good deal on a used unit or a new one.
BobHelms
Premium Member
Cary, NC

BobHelms

Premium Member

asjamias;
So the 3347 is a better choice than the 2Wire. Specifically which 3347 as in 3347-??-???? or 3347???-??? would I be looking for that would work in my location? (Cary NC). Are there any firmware considerations I need to address? Thanks for your help.
Bob Helms
medbuyer
Memphis, TN

medbuyer

3347-02-1006
3347-02-1006L
3347-02-1022 - latest one

any of those will and should work for you.

I wouldn't trade a truckload of 2Wire's for a 3347.

* important note: you might want to call AT&T and ask them for your "network" password just in case. you will need it when you setup the 3347 via browser by typing in 192.168.1.254. username should still be your email account with them [e.g. xxx@bellsouth.com or xxx@att.net]
BobHelms
Premium Member
Cary, NC

BobHelms

Premium Member

asjamias
OK - I got me a 3347-02-1022. It has version 7.8.1r2 firmware. I found an Admin manual but it appears to be for v7.8.4. Should I leave well enough alone with the firmware release? I'm not sure what all the ATM Circuit settings should be and I don't know to trust the doc since it's for a later release. Did a search but I'm still not sure I got all the bases covered. Any recommendations or references to previous posts would be appreciated. Thanks again for your help.
Bob Helms
medbuyer
Memphis, TN

medbuyer

said by BobHelms:

asjamias
OK - I got me a 3347-02-1022. It has version 7.8.1r2 firmware. I found an Admin manual but it appears to be for v7.8.4. Should I leave well enough alone with the firmware release? I'm not sure what all the ATM Circuit settings should be and I don't know to trust the doc since it's for a later release. Did a search but I'm still not sure I got all the bases covered. Any recommendations or references to previous posts would be appreciated. Thanks again for your help.
Bob Helms

that current firmware should suffice for what you need. I wouldn't update it for now since it's working properly. And there should be a check box for that somewhere in the config page so that it won't download the new firmware.

if you're in a AT&T / Bellsouth service area and you got an AT&T / bellsouth approved / supported modem, you shouldn't worry about any other settings anymore. Configure your wireless settings and you should be good to go.