how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

ispalten

join:2005-04-16
Clermont, FL

DVR problem in CFL area?

Two weeks ago we exchanged a DVR box (Sci. Atl.) for another one. It was having problems recording. Reported 'no program to record' on advice of the 800#. That box we got was very noisy and the last few days it was re-booting occasionally. 2 days ago my wife wanted to see 'The Game' on HBO On-Demand. All went well until she pressed play. Re-booted. Repeatedly. Tried the regular STB, it worked.

I unplugged the DVR and re-booted just in case. She tried again, re-booted. Called the 800#, they re-booted it and she tried again. Same problem. They suggested we exchange that box. No problem since it was so noisy and it is in our bedroom... disk access noise if that matters, not constant, but when it happens, loud.

OK, we got a NEW Samsung DVR. Took it home, and as I was setting the settings changing the Resolution for the TV it re-booted??? OK, it was working OK though after that. It recorded shows and we were watching Hawaii 50 last night fine. Then as it ended DELETE was pressed. DVR re-booted!!!! Show was gone when it came back, but it had what appeared to be a 601 in the display when it first happened?

Is something going on with DVR's? S/w problems?

Irv S.
--
Irv Spalten

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL
kudos:147

No there are no known software issues that would cause this.

ispalten

Clermont, FL

Gary, so it isn't the service, then what? Lines, as you know, have been checked, double checked, and verified.

Can it be yet another bad box? Or should we wait and see if it settles down?

Everything else, phone, Internet, and HD STB is working OK, other than the iPad BHN app that it appears works well sometimes, other times just some channels.

Please advise...
--
Irv Spalten

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL
kudos:147
reply to ispalten

I think first thing is to check the connection (cable) between the wall and the box. Make sure the fittings are tight and then give it a day or two and let me know. It is possible that you got another bad box. I would hope not but not out of the realm of possibilities. In the meantime I will check your levels and get back with you just to be sure.

tim tim tim

join:2010-08-14
Lutz, FL
kudos:2

no signal issues are going to cause the box to reboot. Its either another bad box or maybe some sort of powering issue? (more of a long shot but still a possibility)

ispalten

Clermont, FL
reply to BHNtechXpert

Connections are TIGHT, both on the wall and to the box.

Last night, no problems however it did seem close at one point to re-booting ... a channel change froze the box for a matter of seconds then it came back to life.

Don't think it was a power issue, the box that was in before this one couldn't do ON DEMAND HBO for a specific program. HD STB in another room could do that program. Repeated attempts on the OLD BOX failed, even with a power off re-boot, so that one had to be the box. We didn't however exchange box locations and test (if you can even do that?), but I wouldn't expect the line to be sensitive to single program request?

What really surprised me was that when we took the box back into the Clermont office we were the first in-line waiting, but right after us came in another person with the same type box that wasn't working right, and when we were leaving another person in line had the same box? It wasn't cold yet either on Monday?

I'm watching for it to happen again, but not trying to make it happen.

Just odd to me, before we got the prior box we had to exchange by suggestion of the 800# as my wife was seeing in the log many instances of nothing being recorded due to the 'program not being available' and she knew it was on? So the box (2 ago if you lost count) was exchanged. New box had the same problem, although not as often for a week or so, then that mysteriously stopped happening. I assume that was a box programming problem and was updated? Since our problems continued to this new box I'm curious if this too is a programming issue and why I asked here to see if others have/had it? Guess not, but others returning boxes makes me wonder? However since Gary is unaware if this is the case, I'll just continue to monitor the situation.
--
Irv Spalten

tim tim tim

Lutz, FL

by your previous post im assuming you have had techs out to make sure the signal is ok to that outlet? usually that "channel unavailable" message is signal related, it CAN be the box but 9 times out of 10 its the signal itself. Assuming it has been checked (by more than one person) id say you have really poor luck or maybe there is a network issue thats creeping around on the SDV platform.

As for the box rebooting, thats the box itself. If it continues to do it id replace (again) but id probably have a tech come do it to re verify that everything is ok in the house.

Does your current box ever give the channel unavailable messages?

ispalten

Clermont, FL

said by tim tim tim:

by your previous post im assuming you have had techs out to make sure the signal is ok to that outlet? usually that "channel unavailable" message is signal related, it CAN be the box but 9 times out of 10 its the signal itself. Assuming it has been checked (by more than one person) id say you have really poor luck or maybe there is a network issue thats creeping around on the SDV platform.

As for the box rebooting, thats the box itself. If it continues to do it id replace (again) but id probably have a tech come do it to re verify that everything is ok in the house.

Does your current box ever give the channel unavailable messages?

Tim, we've had BH out here as we had multiple problems that appeared last Aug. First it was Internet, then the Phone, and lastly both TV's.

HD STB couldn't get stations, using the up/down channel and they came in. Line was tested OK and the box replaced, problem gone. HD DVR never had that happen, only on recording. 2 boxes ago this was and as I said, it was replaced, happened on new box for a week or two and then that stopped. That box was very noisy and we only had it for maybe a month, and then the re-booting started.

All lines in the house were checked, outside head box and transformer replaced, and all connections and cables on everything were replaced. No interference or stray signals were detected by the techs out here.
--
Irv Spalten

tim tim tim

Lutz, FL

Sounds like you have some fantastic luck there!

ispalten

Clermont, FL

said by tim tim tim:

Sounds like you have some fantastic luck there!

Not me alone it seems. Live in a 55+ community, BH is the sole provider via the HOA of over 700 homes. Not a day goes by without a BH truck in the development. I know neighbors that have had as much problems as we've had. Actually all was good until Aug. when Lightning, that had been running fine for 10 months or so started to act up. The modem/router started dropping wireless occasionally which got worse. Then locking up the printer started (wireless). Replacement modems didn't fix it, and eventually the other stuff started to fail. I really suspect a lightning (real) hit along the line but I can't pin it to a specific event. We have to call the guard house to tell them BH is coming and the last time the guard said I was catching up to another resident who's had them in almost every week.

Even this 'new' box (Samsung) that 'just came out' we think had been used before? On the recording log was a program entry from a few days before we got it showing it was deleted? Maybe it was tested that way, who knows.
--
Irv Spalten

ispalten

Clermont, FL

No problems now? Seems to be working fine? Only thing seems to be a 'slow' reaction to some buttons, like the guide or info?

We kept the old remote, does it need to be changed when you change DVR's? I ask because we use a Logitech Harmony One to control the DVD/TV/DVR. It was not re-programmed to handle the new DVR, but the controller (BHN's) operates the same, slow reaction to some buttons.

Anyway, no re-boots are happening now.
--
Irv Spalten

tim tim tim

Lutz, FL

The remotes are all the same so there is no need to change them out when boxes are changed.

ispalten

Clermont, FL
reply to ispalten

Well, after a few days of proper operation, last night, after it finished playing a recorded program and DELETE pressed it re-booted... sigh... I hope this is an anomaly and rarely happens, I hate replacing these and re-programming.
--
Irv Spalten