All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Phibian
join:2009-06-01
Ottawa, ON

Phibian

[DSL] Cellpipe random reboots / loss of sync (Check logs please?

I'm still seeing random reboots / loss of sync on my two 25/7 lines (which used to be extremely stable when running 5/0.8). All hardware (except the cellpipes) has been checked out and appears to be fine. Wiring is fine (at least my part of it). Power is UPS protected. Line stats are good for 50 Mbps.

I'm wondering if anyone else with a cellpipe 25/7 setup could take a look at their logs in the web UI and let me know if they see a lot of loss of sync events or signs of the modem rebooting itself.

Dates in the cellpipe seems to be stuck at Nov 15/16 and sometimes go backwards so don't believe the dates.

The apparent reboots list various firmware numbers.

Seems to happen randomly throughout the day. About 1-4 times per day. Generally I'm down for about 4-8 minutes each time (I guess the pppoe session needs to timeout on TSI's end?

Thanks!
Phibian

Phibian

Re: [DSL] Cellpipe random reboots / loss of sync (Check logs ple

Just got this on one modem:

2011-11-16W19:35:04 WLAN info Wireless is disabled
2011-11-16W19:35:05 HPNA info HPNA device is ready to be loaded with fw
2011-11-16W19:35:12 HPNA info Set HPNA device's mac address
2011-11-16W19:35:12 HPNA info Activate loaded fw image
2011-11-16W19:35:17 GUI info this firmware is version v1.0.4.4R3WH
2011-11-16W19:35:17 UPnP info UPnP IGD started
2011-11-16W19:35:18 UPnP info Known Connection Type(PPP type)! Use file: xml/igdPPPDesc.xml...
2011-11-16W19:35:26 Ethernet info Link 1 Up - 100Base-TX Full Duplex
2011-11-16W19:36:21 VDSL notice Detect VDSL Link UP...

The other gave me almost the same thing at about 14:00 today (I know because I get it to log remotely to a linux box so that I can have a useful timestamp on it.

2011-11-16W01:05:05 HPNA info HPNA device is ready to be loaded with fw
2011-11-16W01:05:12 HPNA info Set HPNA device's mac address
2011-11-16W01:05:12 HPNA info Activate loaded fw image
2011-11-16W01:05:17 GUI info this firmware is version v1.0.4.4R3WH
2011-11-16W01:05:18 UPnP info UPnP IGD started
2011-11-16W01:05:19 UPnP info Known Connection Type(PPP type)! Use file: xml/igdPPPDesc.xml...
2011-11-16W01:05:26 Ethernet info Link 1 Up - 100Base-TX Full Duplex
2011-11-16W01:06:21 VDSL notice Detect VDSL Link UP...

Sure looks like a reboot to me. Didn't make it to the modem until after it was done so I don't know what the lights were doing... Can Bell remotely reboot these things? Why would they both do this within a couple hours of each other?

Other times I just see the VDSL link Down followed by VDSL link Up notices but without the other stuff (which I'm guessing is a typical loss of sync event as opposed to a reboot).

Oh and why are the logs not identical (both have wireless disabled and other than one being on 192.168.2.254 and the other being on 192.168.3.254 they are setup exactly the same (bridge mode).
Phibian

Phibian

So on the phone with TSI. Line stats are "Perfect". Tried pulling the phone line from one modem and waited for the sync light to go out - then plugged it back in.

Get:
VDSL link Down
VDSL link Up

Sure looks like the modem is rebooting itself the other times... Buggy firmware? Great how do we get that fixed?

TSI is getting Bell to send me a new modem - but since both modems are doing this unless it has new a new firmware revision I'm not holding my breath...
NLZ
join:2009-03-20
Hamilton, ON

NLZ

I replied in your original post weeks ago explaining I had the same issue, quick fix was disabling DNS delay and entering different DNS servers, don't ask why this worked, nobody knows.

Phibian
Ottawa, ON

Phibian

Hi NLZ,

As per your original post I've got DHCP disabled already. I just tried disabling the DNS Relay (I'm not using DNS from the cellpipes anyways). I can't imagine that this will change the situation as DHCP was already disabled but I'm ready to try just about anything now...
Phibian

Phibian

Had a brain wave the other day and thought that maybe the modem were getting too hot (they do feel hot to the touch). Checked with an IR thermometer and got a reading of about 40 at the hottest point. I put a huge fan in front of them and now they are cool to the touch and read about 29 at the hottest point.

But... wait for it... they are still rebooting...

Oh well - it was worth a try. Back to waiting for the new modem to show up.
Phibian

Phibian

Swapped the modem. New modem is still running the same firmware so not expecting anything to change but time will tell.
Phibian

Phibian

Ok, so overnight the new modem did the reboot thing again. Here are the logs from the Cellpipe:

2006-12-26T04:13:03 WLAN info Wireless is disabled
2006-12-26T04:13:05 HPNA info HPNA device is ready to be loaded with fw
2006-12-26T04:13:12 HPNA info Set HPNA device's mac address
2006-12-26T04:13:12 HPNA info Activate loaded fw image
2006-12-26T04:13:17 GUI info this firmware is version v1.0.4.4R3WH
2006-12-26T04:13:26 Ethernet info Link 1 Up - 100Base-TX Full Duplex
2006-12-26T04:14:21 VDSL notice Detect VDSL Link UP...

Based on the syslog on my router/firewall this actually happened at 05:05 this AM.

So to recap:
It looks like the modem reboots itself (on average about once a day but sometimes more often)
It is not a loss of power issue (UPS protected).
It is not overheating.
It is not a standard loss of sync event.
Line stats are perfect.
Both modems do this.
Replacement hardware didn't fix it.
Both modems are running v1.0.4.4R3WH firmware.

So what now?
kovy7
join:2009-03-26

kovy7 to Phibian

to Phibian
some 2006 logs?

Phibian
Ottawa, ON

Phibian to NLZ

to NLZ
DNS relay did not fix the issue... :-( I really wish it had. What firmware is your Cellpipe running?

Chucks Truck
@teksavvy.com

Chucks Truck to Phibian

Anon

to Phibian
The word "Ottawa" may have something to do with it. Many moons ago it was always Windsor that had all the problems. Now it's Ottawa and to a lesser extent London. Both cities seem to be cursed for both dsl and cable internet.
MrShag
join:2006-07-09
Hamilton, ON

MrShag to Phibian

to Phibian
I am having the same problem with mine.

It looses synch very 4-6 hours.

I am in the middle of trying things out.

But I now of how you feel.

Phibian
Ottawa, ON

Phibian

What firmware version are you running on the Cellpipe?

Do you just lose sync (VDSL link DOWN / VDSL link UP) or do you also get the whole whack of lines that look like a reboot? Can you post some logs? If you are having trouble telling what is what in the logs try clearing them (Clear button at the bottom of the log screen) and then next time it happens you will know that whatever is in them is since you cleared it.
MrShag
join:2006-07-09
Hamilton, ON

MrShag

this firmware is version v1.0.4.4R3WH

Phibian
Ottawa, ON

Phibian

Ok - that's the same firmware as me. Talking to others it seems this is likely specific to this firmware version.

Do you see

2006-12-26T04:13:04 WLAN info Wireless is disabled
2006-12-26T04:13:05 HPNA info HPNA device is ready to be loaded with fw
2006-12-26T04:13:12 HPNA info Set HPNA device's mac address
2006-12-26T04:13:12 HPNA info Activate loaded fw image
2006-12-26T04:13:17 GUI info this firmware is version v1.0.4.4R3WH
2006-12-26T04:13:26 Ethernet info Link 1 Up - 100Base-TX Full Duplex
2006-12-26T04:14:21 VDSL notice Detect VDSL Link UP...

(or similar) chunks of messages in the log on the modem?
Roop
join:2003-11-15
Ottawa, ON

Roop

I am having the same problem, around 1-3 disconnects a day. each time it's the modem. same firmware as you: this firmware is version v1.0.4.4R3WH.

i also have a sagemcom f@st modem from bell (i subscribe to their service directly). i don't use their service much so i'm not sure if a different modem would help but i think i need to start testing this... that is unless we can come up with something.

Phibian
Ottawa, ON

Phibian

Excellent. The more people we can identify with this issue the more likely it is to get fixed!

Kovy says that the sagemcom is supposed to be fully compatible with the 7330 remote (which is what we are on). If you wouldn't mind doing a test it might help to narrow things down.

I'm working on TSI. So far I've got a senior tech talking to their manager about where to take this next. Looks like they are starting to believe that there is really an issue here. I will keep you all posted.
Eug
join:2007-04-14
Canada

1 edit

Eug to Phibian

to Phibian

Location of modem?

Is the modem right at the POTS splitter?

I used to have the same problem with the Cellpipe modem maybe 100 feet of CAT6 away (in my home office) from the POTS splitter (in my basement). Stats were totally fine, and the Bell tech said everything looked fine to them. In fact, the Bell tech who installed my Fibe 25/7 said my setup was perfectly fine as his testing revealed no problems. Nonetheless, I'd lose sync every once in a while.

So, I moved the modem, which basically meant that 100 feet of CAT6 was no longer in-between, and my problems went away. BTW, I have now repurposed that stretch of CAT6 for my Gigabit network, and it all works perfectly.

Phibian
Ottawa, ON

Phibian

Modem is about 10 feet away from the splitter with a direct line of CAT5e going to it.

The thing is that the modems are not just losing sync but actually appear to be rebooting.

They also lose sync sometimes but I'm not even trying to fix that until I get the random reboots sorted out. If the firmware is bad it could cause all sort of strange problems.

I suspect (although I haven't actually tried this yet) that if I disconnected the DSL line the modem would still reboot itself about once a day - hmmm next thing to test I guess...

Do you know if you are on the IKNS or the 7330 remote (i.e. which firmware are you running on the Cellpipe)?
Roop
Ottawa, ON

Roop to Phibian

to Phibian

Re: [DSL] Cellpipe random reboots / loss of sync (Check logs ple

I've shut down the cell pipe and am only using the sagemcom now so i'll see how stable things are with the sagemcom with teksavvy's login.

in my router software pfsense, i configured email notification for WAN connection failures starting on Jan 8th. this happens in the WAN connection is totally down such as when PPPoE has to renegotiate (what I've seen in the logs every time this has happened). Here's recorded WAN failures:

1/8 8:43pm
1/8 10:19pm

1/9 1:17am
1/9 2:38pm

1/10 3:33pm
1/10 7:10pm
1/10 11:07pm

1/11 6:13am
1/11 1:46pm
1/11 2:15pm (me changing out the modem)

each time this happens, I'm down for a few minutes then everything is back up without intervention. while I'm down, PPP will be busy renegotiating. no reset to the router is needed.

so I'm on the sagemcom directly now. to keep as many variables down as possible, i simply moved both the ethernet and telephone out of the cellpipe to the sagemcom. i'm also connected to UPS so power interruptions are not a concern. this equipment is in a clean dry corner of my basement so everything always stays cool. i'll see if it's any better than the cell pipe. the wiring is cat5e from the demac (about 30') to two phone jacks, one for bell, one for teksavvy. no phones plug into these, only modems (i use voip).

Phibian
Ottawa, ON

Phibian

Awesome!

Just one more question. When you see the failures does the Cellpipe record a VDSL link DOWN / VDSL link UP combination in the log or does it look like the logs in the earlier posts (with firmware versions and the likes)? I ask because I do occasionally see normal loss of sync events as well as the reboot events. They may be related but at this point I'm trying to prove that the modem is rebooting itself since that would point to an obvious issue and may well explain the other less obvious issues...

Regardless your findings will be interesting and are greatly appreciated!
Roop
Ottawa, ON

Roop

I think so... The time/date is wrong in the cell pipe and I see no way to set it, nor configure an NTP server.

There is an option to send the cell pipe's syslogs to a syslog server but it doesn't seem to work and everytime the problem happens, the settings I've added like the route to the syslog server get wiped...

I certainly was seeing reboots in the logs like yours, if they are from the exact same instance I think is likely but I can't say 100% given the time/date mismatch.

Phibian
Ottawa, ON

Phibian

Yeah the dates are totally bogus... I'm doing the syslog thing and it doesn't catch everything but it does at least help in eliminating the guesswork of when stuff happened. I've also taken to clearing the log and checking it after it does stuff so that I know for sure that anything in the log is since I last cleared it.

I haven't had trouble with it deleting the syslog server settings but then again these things appear to be junk so anything is possible.

I'm glad to hear that it is not just me. Hopefully we can get this sorted out without too much more grief.

I'm still waiting on teksavvy after their latest questions to me. They asked me to leave the modem just plugged into the DSL line but with no PPPoE (either on the modem or on the router) connection active and see if it still rebooted. Of course it did. I think they are now out of things to try in order to eliminate other possible causes and it is just a question of how to talk to Bell about this now. We'll know soon enough.

Thanks again for your testing - I look forward to the results.
Roop
Ottawa, ON

Roop

interesting test from bell - only the phone line plugged in. i have seen circumstances where malicious traffic can cause devices to reboot, maybe that's what they were guessing.

no email alerts yet with the sagemcom but it's too early to say for sure. if the sagemcom lasts for 48 hours without a connection drop, i'll let TSI know and ask they replace the cellpipe with a sagemcom.

I'm in North Kanata on a 7330 card. Where are you abouts in Ottawa?

Phibian
Ottawa, ON

Phibian

I'm downtown in the Glebe on a 7330 (25/7 only became available mid december here - so brand new).
Roop
Ottawa, ON

1 edit

Roop

i have not received a WAN down alert email since i did the modem swap yesterday. looking at the router logs, there have been no PPP renegotiations since the swap either. it's a bit early to say for sure if the sagemcom is more stable but so far this is the longest uptime i've had without a WAN down email.

update:
>24 hours without a single reset.

JC_
Premium Member
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON

JC_

Premium Member

said by Roop:

i have not received a WAN down alert email since i did the modem swap yesterday. looking at the router logs, there have been no PPP renegotiations since the swap either. it's a bit early to say for sure if the sagemcom is more stable but so far this is the longest uptime i've had without a WAN down email.

I've got a Sagecom in Ottawa as well and I've had no issues with it. When the Bell tech was here installing he said that they're not even giving the Cellpipe out to their own customers anymore.

Phibian
Ottawa, ON

Phibian to Roop

to Roop
I think I see where this is going...

So just for kicks I unplugged the phone line from the modem and let it sit for a day. Guess what - yup the modem still reboots itself...
Roop
Ottawa, ON

1 edit

Roop

uh... that can only happen if there's some bug in the cellpipe code causing this to occur.

if we're lucky this is due to something in the code. i never tried factory resetting mine. if you factory reset yours does it stabilize?

if we're unlucky this is a bug in the firmware itself and it will reboot in any cofig. given there are people working well with cellpipes, perhaps it's just the 7330 firmware.

-------------

I did a factory reset from the web interface. all that did was enable all the crap i disabled. i figured what the hell, so i just disabled WIFI and left everything else alone.

i'm connected through the cellpipe now. let's see if i get and WAN down emails. the pattern has been a few in 24 hours so we'll see.

sagemcom had none...

Phibian
Ottawa, ON

Phibian

Yeah it does look like it is the code and only for the 7330. I've tested everything after a factory reset so that doesn't seem to help.