prev page · 1 · 2 · 3 ... 40 · 41 · 42 · 43 · 44 · 45 · 46 · 47 · 48 · next

TSI Martin
Premium
join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:33
reply to Phibian

Re: [DSL] Cellpipe random reboots / loss of sync (Check logs ple

I received this yesterday late afternoon.

=============
Some analysis have been in progress.
I will be happy to update you tomorrow.
=============
--
TSI Martin (Escalations) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »»TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )

Phibian

join:2009-06-01
Ottawa, ON
reply to TSI Martin

Hi Martin,

Any further news on this?

kovy

join:2009-03-26
kudos:8
reply to InvalidError

said by InvalidError:

said by Phibian:

Right but given the (ever increasing) number of people with this issue and that TSI is paying Bell for these surely there are ways of telling Bell that this is not acceptable. I mean especially given that Bell is providing different (working) firmware for their own customers perhaps this could even be taken to the CRTC.

Go read Bell's forum, Bell's own subscribers are complaining about modem reboots there too so this issue is not unique to wholesale.

You sure it's the same problem? Also, I'm sure there's more people getting the Sagemcom then the Cellpipe.

Phibian

Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to InvalidError

I suspect that you are right that wholesale customers are quite likely to call in instead of posting on DSLR and it is certainly possible that Bell customers are having widespread issues.

All I know is that the cellpipe with the problem firmware doesn't work and is what wholesale customers get. There is another firmware that does work (same hardware including PS) and it is what the Bell techs carry around. That sounds like a firmware bug that is exclusive to wholesale market. Sure the other firmware versions (beyond these two) may have issues as well. I can't speak to those. Sure the sagemcom may have issues too. Again I don't know. The anecdotal evidence is that it at least works better than the defective firmware version of the cellpipe.

Sure there may be other problems too but right now all I can do is focus on the lowest common denominator. Once I get a modem that doesn't reboot for fun I may find other issues but I can't really even begin to look at those without getting the reboot issue fixed first.

Honestly this isn't just about me either. There have got to be thousands of these things out there and most of the customers who have the things probably just think that their wholesaler sucks and will eventually get sick of their internet being flaky and try switching to another provider. That sucks for the wholesalers as it isn't their fault. It sucks for the customers as they get terrible internet. It sucks for Bell because they have a problem that they can't even find and in the long run it will probably end up costing them a lot of money to solve, fix and replace all the defective units. Someone, somewhere messed up big time with this firmware.

InvalidError

join:2008-02-03
kudos:5
reply to Phibian

said by Phibian:

The problematic firmware appears to be unique to wholesale customers and is so bad that it makes the problems the Bell users are reporting sound like a day at the beach.

Or it could just be that the average Bell subscriber does not come to DSLR to discuss reboot issues and take their problem directly to Bell while the average wholesale subscriber likely learned about their current wholesale ISP here, comes here for support with it and is therefore far more likely to post about problems here, which makes the whole thing biased and feeling like the issue is more frequent on wholesale even though both are actually evenly affected.

said by Phibian:

This coupled with Bell's mixed messages on admitting that there is/is not a issue smells fishy to me.

Considering the number of issues the Cellpipe has that affect different subsets of subscribers in different ways depending on circumstances, I would say there are too many variables and too much inconsistency to draw conclusions.

For all we know, a large chunk of those "firmware glitches" might actually be caused by bad power adapters... my ST516 used to lose sync at the slightest power sag/spike and after I added an over-sized external LC filter between the brick and modem, the reboots/loss-of-sync stopped and I gained 3dB SNRM.

Phibian

Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to InvalidError

Sure they are reporting a few issues here and there but I don't see anything with the kind of consistency that we are seeing nor anything that completely rules out other issues (user error, config issues, etc). The problematic firmware appears to be unique to wholesale customers and is so bad that it makes the problems the Bell users are reporting sound like a day at the beach. This coupled with Bell's mixed messages on admitting that there is/is not a issue smells fishy to me.

But as I've said before I'm just frustrated and want some working modems already.

InvalidError

reply to Phibian

said by Phibian:

Right but given the (ever increasing) number of people with this issue and that TSI is paying Bell for these surely there are ways of telling Bell that this is not acceptable. I mean especially given that Bell is providing different (working) firmware for their own customers perhaps this could even be taken to the CRTC.

Go read Bell's forum, Bell's own subscribers are complaining about modem reboots there too so this issue is not unique to wholesale.

Phibian

Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to InvalidError

Right but given the (ever increasing) number of people with this issue and that TSI is paying Bell for these surely there are ways of telling Bell that this is not acceptable. I mean especially given that Bell is providing different (working) firmware for their own customers perhaps this could even be taken to the CRTC. Marc was on the phone with them about the Rogers fiasco, why not about this too? The current situation is certainly encouraging users to favor Bell's offering. Is that not anti-competitive?

InvalidError

reply to s0dhi

said by s0dhi:

TSI: A swap to the Sagemcom would be very welcome since we're paying for a rental anyway.

Since TSI (or any other GAS ISP) subscribers on VDSL2 tiers receive their modems directly from Bell, there isn't much that TSI can do about which modem subscribers get.

s0dhi

join:2011-08-02
Brampton, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to jihlow

said by jihlow:

This is ridiculous... I switch from cable after having 56 days of no cable internet service (from day 1).. and now I have modem issues with this 25/7.

Hang in there - hopefully, we'll have an acceptable resolution soon.

TSI: A swap to the Sagemcom would be very welcome since we're paying for a rental anyway.

jihlow

join:2010-10-19
Ottawa, ON
reply to Phibian

I just got my 25/7 activated yesterday with the cellpipe v1.0.4.4R3WH ... experiencing random reboots as well. Looks like I will have to call teksavvy again....

This is ridiculous... I switch from cable after having 56 days of no cable internet service (from day 1).. and now I have modem issues with this 25/7.

Phibian

Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to HiVolt

LOL. Yeah it is bad.

If they can't get this sorted out soon I think we're going to see more and more people reporting that they are affected by this. As morisato said it didn't really hit home until it dropped in the middle of something important. But it is only a matter of time until people notice that it isn't normal for their line to be dropping all the time.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to Phibian

said by Phibian:

It happens with no phone line connected to the modem so it is not related to the remote.

Oh, I didn't realize that.. That's horrible then.
--
GO LEAFS GO!

Phibian

Ottawa, ON
reply to HiVolt

It happens with no phone line connected to the modem so it is not related to the remote.

morisato

join:2008-03-16
Oshawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
·ELECTRONICBOX

1 edit
reply to HiVolt

Add me to the Cellpipe reset List, I had been noticing it but was trying to ignore it but today it cut off my telephone in the middle of a call and caused me to lose a match in league of legends p:0 Unforgiveable!!! heh

Not sure it matters but When i run the cellpipe linestats GM script it shows VDSL FW : 6.12.0.5IK105012 if that info is at all useful to this issue.
--
Every time Someone leaves Sympatico an Angel gets its wings.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to Phibian

Maybe this also depends on the software/firmware level in the 7330 remote in the given neighbourhood that is having issues with the cellpipes. Perhaps Bell is testing with a 7330 in their lab or even in the field that has a different level of software/firmware.
--
GO LEAFS GO!

Phibian

Ottawa, ON
reply to Phibian

Anyway that I can get a pair of working modems I'm happy. But honestly it is dead easy to reproduce the problem.

TSI Martin
Premium
Chatham, ON
reply to marknotmarc

I've sent my Bell contact that request. Maybe we can... we'll have to see what he says.

marknotmarc

join:2012-01-17
Gloucester, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Hi-Speed
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to Phibian

Is there anyway they can get Phibian a modem loaded with the same version of the firmware the Bell contractor gave to me to see if it resolves his issue? I have not had the issue since Jan 9th when I got the swap out.

Rather than going through the shipping department process again, send the tech with the 1.0.4.3EF-ISAM firmware. He said that is the firmware on the modems that they give to the Bell customers, and it is the one they send to the contractors.

Model 1.0.4.3EF-ISAM
It has the 7330 remote sticker on it.
Loaded with 1.0.4.3EF-ISAM firmware.

Phibian

Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to TSI Martin

Hi Martin,

Yes the modem reboots without any RJ11 connected.

My test case is:
Open shipping box from Bell.
Remove modem from box.
Plug in one ethernet cable to a PC (only used to access web GUI on modem - no other traffic).
Plug in power and turn on modem.
Connect to web GUI and clear the system log.
Wait 30 hours (Pattern is a reboot sometime between 5 minutes and 30 hours).
Connect to web GUI and view log - note that there are now entries in the log showing that it went through a boot cycle.
Repeat as desired.

No changes are made to the modem other than clearing the log.
No RJ11 cable is plugged in.
No traffic from PC other than to view web GUI on modem.
Every single one of the modems I've had (about 10 of them now) have exhibited this behaviour.

I would be happy to discuss with Bell/whomever.
They can come and see the logs here.
They can have my modem (I currently have one extra that I haven't sent back yet).
I am happy to help them reproduce the issue in whatever way they want.

The only reason the remote is being mentioned is because the firmware in question is what you get if you are on that remote (as opposed to the other IKNS stinger remote where you get the same cellpipe modem but with different firmware that seems to actually works - but of course only with that remote not the one we are on).

Bhruic

join:2002-11-27
Toronto, ON
kudos:2
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to TSI Martin

said by TSI Martin:

Now from what I've been told by some of you is that you are getting the reboots even if there is no RJ11 plugged in. My concern right now is... why are we discussing Remotes? If you don't have anything but power in the modem & the modem reboots then it's nothing but the modem.

I know one or two people had an extra modem to test with, but the majority of us do not. I suspect most of us haven't tested to see if the reboots happen without the RJ11 plugged in. I'm not saying that the reports of it happening are wrong, but from a "convincing Bell it's a legitimate problem" point of view, I'm not sure relying on them being accurate is the best approach.

paul2012

join:2012-02-08
Hamilton, ON
reply to TSI Martin

I think the reason for the mention of specific remotes is only that the 1.0.4.4R3WH seems to be what most people have who are on a 7330 remote. Not that the remote itself is the cause of the problem.

lapoune

join:2012-02-03
Montreal, QC
reply to Phibian

The reboot is not the only problem martin, I think most people in this thread also have very frequent loss of sync (without a modem reboot)...I personally lose vdsl signal almost every hour in ADDITION to total modem reboots a couple times per day.

bigzig

join:2012-02-14
reply to Phibian

TSI Martin, I am new customer with 25/7 service from teksavvy and I am experiencing the same problems... I have pm you my information.

TSI Martin
Premium
Chatham, ON
reply to JCohen

Hey guys,

Yes I've been dealing with Bell. They are testing modems attempting to reproduce the issue. They've come back saying they've had that Cellpipe firmware 1.0.4.4R3WH and have not seen any reboots. Now from what I've been told by some of you is that you are getting the reboots even if there is no RJ11 plugged in. My concern right now is... why are we discussing Remotes? If you don't have anything but power in the modem & the modem reboots then it's nothing but the modem.

I'm still continuing to discuss this with Bell. I'm not giving up on this... I know this is frustrating to you all, but I ask for some patience as I'm attempting to get to the bottom of this.

Thanks,
Martin
--
TSI Martin (Escalations) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »»TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )

JCohen
Premium
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON
kudos:9
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to Phibian

said by Phibian:

No the sagemcom appears to work fine with the 7330 (at least generally speaking). Some users are having other issues with the sagemcom but not to the same degree and with the same consistency as I understand it and not everyone.

I've got 25/7 directly with Bell and I got a Sagecom and it's working perfectly. My area was lit up in December for 25/7 so I'm assuming that I'm on an ALU 7330 remote.

When the install tech was here I asked if they were still using the Cellpipes and he said that he's never installed one here in Ottawa.

Phibian

Ottawa, ON
reply to ali gil

No the sagemcom appears to work fine with the 7330 (at least generally speaking). Some users are having other issues with the sagemcom but not to the same degree and with the same consistency as I understand it and not everyone.

ali gil

join:2009-08-21
North York, ON
reply to Phibian

Will do Phibian. Also I just want to confirm that if we had received the sagemcom modem would we still be having this issue.

Phibian

Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to ali gil

If you have that firmware (v1.0.4.4R3WH) you are on the ALU 7330 remote and have a defective modem (well technically just the firmware I guess but same difference). PM TSI-Martin and call in to request a credit note be put on your file for when this gets sorted out.

It wouldn't hurt to bug them about being able to buy modems instead of paying the monthly fee as well while you are at it.

The squeakier the wheel the sooner we might get some grease!

s0dhi

join:2011-08-02
Brampton, ON
reply to Phibian

Great news.