Search similar:

uniqs

squircle
join:2009-06-23
OTWAON10

squircle to morisato

to morisato

Re: [DSL] Cellpipe random reboots / loss of sync (Check logs ple

Yes, we have a POTS splitter (installed by Bell, one of the Corning ones) and I suppose it's possible that it's failed. Unfortunately, the Teksavvy installer didn't leave the other POTS splitter, so we really have nothing else to test it with (unless of course I swapped the NID modules for the first and second lines, but we're only technically supposed to open the "Customer Access" side, aren't we?).

From the NID, we have a dedicated line going to the modem. From the NID, the CAT5 runs in about 3m of conduit underground, into the house and directly up to a jack. From there, it's about 2m CAT3 UTP to the modem. I believe that this dedicated, twisted-pair run is why we've historically had awesome line stats.

I did notice something a bit strange, though: there seems to be about 0.2V of crosstalk between our first and second lines by the NID. I'm only in first-year electrical & computer engineering, but 0.2 volts doesn't seem like very much (not enough to cause problems, anyways). I've tried disconnecting the second line at the NID for a couple of days and that didn't fix the problem, so I assumed that the minor crosstalk wasn't an issue.

I seem to remember, almost exactly 5 years ago, a Bell technician (installing Velcom service at the time) saying that there was something strange going on with our cordless phone base station. I believe he said that there was quite a bit of tip-to-ring current leakage (although it's not nearly enough for the CO to think that the line is off-hook). I'm starting to wonder if maybe this cordless phone base is also the cause of the crosstalk. Maybe I'll separate the two phone line cables going to it and see if that helps (although our setup with ADSL2+ was the same and it never had any problems).

Once I'm finished my exams and can go back home, I'll test things out. Until then, there's only so much I can do.

Thanks again for your response.
dan991199
join:2007-10-01
St Catharines, ON

dan991199 to Phibian

to Phibian
hey guys, just got 25/7 hooked up and having a hard time getting my cellpipe to go into "briged" mode. i removed the login credentials, and even tried factory re-setting it. but not having any luck. am i missing something?
cidknee0
join:2009-02-28

cidknee0

I had to do it twice, and then go in and turn off the DHCP and wireless.
dan991199
join:2007-10-01
St Catharines, ON

dan991199 to Phibian

to Phibian
tried a few times now, having no luck
abcxyz123
join:2012-01-17
k2k0h2

abcxyz123

All you do is set it to manual (not keepalive) and and press disconnect. It disconnects and reboots and 60 seconds later returns. Then you set up the PPoE in your router.

While you are in there turn off wireless as well.
morisato
join:2008-03-16
Oshawa, ON

morisato to squircle

to squircle
ya .02 volts is not cross talk its standard leakage, as long as its not a double digit voltage yer fine. And adsl 2 Only goes to 16/1. pn bell at least So u never got much more sync. try Unplugging all Phones from all jacks and then power cycle modem and see what yer stats are.

Okay wait a second You have a direct feed from Your nid to the Modem, is the color of the Tab Purple( inside the nid) thats feeding the modem? if so Thats a Nid pots splitter. and u do not need the second corning pots splitter in the basement at all. If its not Its kinda strange to have a seperate feed/ Ensure the Pots Splitter is On the Voice side feed the line from the nid goes into Line, The voice Line to your distribution box be it a qbb or a ddi should come out of Phone and Nothing should be on DSL as your being fed on a seperate feed. if thats not the case take a picture and post it and i will do my best to help

squircle
OTWAON10

squircle

Hi morisato,

The only POTS splitter we have is the purple/orange tab one (manufactured by Corning, I believe) in the NID. If the Teksavvy installer had left the other POTS splitter, I'd try that with the non-POTS splitter NID module (installed for the second line; swap the two), but the Teksavvy installer didn't leave anything. There is a dedicated twisted-pair CAT 5 line from the purple port on the POTS splitter to the modem. The only other device connected to this phone line is the cordless phone base station, so it should be fairly easy to isolate that as the problematic device if it is indeed malfunctioning.

Thanks again for your response, I'll update you as I try various diagnoses.
morisato
join:2008-03-16
Oshawa, ON

morisato

well, if u want to 100% eliminate inside as an issue then go right to the jack on the nid. , Unfortunately its sounding more and more like Speed at a distance = what u get, short of there being some outside line condition which makes little sense if they are changing ports, like u said they would likely have no problem temping ped to house

squircle
OTWAON10

squircle

said by morisato:

well, if u want to 100% eliminate inside as an issue then go right to the jack on the nid. , Unfortunately its sounding more and more like Speed at a distance = what u get, short of there being some outside line condition which makes little sense if they are changing ports, like u said they would likely have no problem temping ped to house

The problem isn't speed or distance; my line stats are quite good:

GAS: 905-847-wxyz - In Service
Last State Change: 08/03 22:06:59 (Uptime: NA)
Line Profile: V26944-20032_11328-2048_00011
DLM State: N/A | Equip. Type: VSM_ERAM
Sync Rate: d26941.0/u11328.0 kbps
RCO: d39.0/u35.0%
Noise Margin: d26.2/u21.3 dB
Power: d14.5/u3.3 dB
Attenuation: d13.9/u21.0 dB (Approx. Distance: 1.01~1.94km)
Block Count: d50548464.0/u22954887.0

We're trying to get FibeTV installed as soon as possible (ditching Cogeco) so hopefully I'll be able to use the Sagemcom to help diagnose the issue. If my parents knew how to hook the modem up to the NID and test it from there, I'm sure they would, but it has to wait until I get home unfortunately. If the wiring diagram in the ped was clearer, I'd change the pair myself just to check... but Bell probably wouldn't like that.

It's the waiting game for now, I guess.

BliZZardX
Premium Member
join:2002-08-18
Toronto, ON

BliZZardX

Premium Member

Where are those line stats from? Never seen that output format before

JenSuisUn
Premium Member
join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON

1 recommendation

JenSuisUn

Premium Member

That would be me providing him his stats.

Stillpissed
@teksavvy.com

Stillpissed to Phibian

Anon

to Phibian
Still getting reboots, I checked to make sure I had the right firmware and I do but it still keeps happening. My log seems to not record the reboot at all, in fact it's blank from January until the 4th of August.

Anyways, I've also checked that it's on PPOE what else could I be doing to fix this?
Cloneman
join:2002-08-29
Montreal

Cloneman to Phibian

to Phibian
As someone who's toyed with bell Fibe, the only setup that has worked for me is an interleave profile that ends in 81111.

The modem was also changed to Sagemcom F@st, but this change alone did not fix our issue, it was the profile that was the biggest improvement.

Jake
@teksavvy.com

Jake

Anon

Don't know if this has been answered or not, but I don't want to read 67 pages.

Has this issue been solved yet? I am getting a disconnect every single day, and some days, like today. It resets every hour or 2 consecutively.

I remember hearing that bell was going to push a new firmware to stop this. Is this still the case? and has this firmware been released?
abcxyz123
k2k0h2

1 recommendation

abcxyz123

said by Jake :

Has this issue been solved yet?

Yes.
said by Jake :

I remember hearing that bell was going to push a new firmware to stop this. Is this still the case?

Yes.
said by Jake :

and has this firmware been released?

Yes.

Jake
@teksavvy.com

Jake

Anon

So this issue has been fixed, Great.

Now, where can I go to receive this new firmware?
InvalidError
join:2008-02-03

InvalidError

said by Jake :

So this issue has been fixed, Great.

Now, where can I go to receive this new firmware?

The modem automatically attempts to download it from an address hardcoded in the firmware when the modem has an internet connection. You have to configure PPPoE login on the modem for this to happen.

concerned
@teksavvy.com

concerned to Phibian

Anon

to Phibian
»www.imagebam.com/image/0 ··· 04926622

Here is a log just after a disconnect/reboot. Can anyone see what is wrong? Apparently the 7130 comes in bridged mode, and it is already set to PPPOE yet I'm still getting a disconnect once a day. Can anyone help?
abcxyz123
k2k0h2

1 edit

abcxyz123

I was running mine in bridge mode and had no reboots. It seems some other people using the PPoE function on the Cellpipe are having disconnect problems. Have you tried using a router and disabling the PPoE on the Cellpipe?

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

2+ weeks here no issues at all. finally the cellpipe is stable.
compudj
join:2012-03-13

compudj to Phibian

to Phibian
I got the update to firmware 1.0.4.4R8-wh somewhere before August 1st,
and it's been stable since then (currently August 13th).

Thanks!

Mathieu

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

said by HiVolt:

Sooo... Now that the issue is officially resolved, what's Bell's response on issuing some credits for this debacle?

Martin, you said before that things were being discussed with Bell regarding this.

Let's hope we don't have to wait another 6 months for that! At the very least they should refund the modem rental fees, or suspend future rental fees.

Ahem, wink wink, nudge nudge...
Eug
join:2007-04-14
Canada

4 edits

Eug to compudj

to compudj

1.0.4.4R8 for whom?

said by compudj:

I got the update to firmware 1.0.4.4R8-wh somewhere before August 1st,
and it's been stable since then (currently August 13th).

Does anyone know if this firmware was rolled out strictly for people suffering this issue on specific slams? I'm assuming they are not planning on rolling this out to others as well, to keep all the Cellpipe users on a common firmware, but I don't know.
said by HiVolt:

I've used several of the cellpipe firmware at my place, 1.0.4.3EF-STINGER, 1.0.4.3EF-ISAM, 1.0.4.4R3WH (the rebooting one), and now the 1.0.4.4R8-wh.

I've never lost sync on any of them that I've noticed.

I've been on 1.0.4.3EF-STINGER for years in the same house (originally on Bell Fibe). When I first got it it was losing sync very frequently - several times a week, and sometimes a few times a day. It turned out it didn't like my internal CAT5e wiring for some reason. (The wiring worked perfectly for Gigabit Ethernet, at full Gigabit speeds.)

So I moved the modem down right next to the internal demarcation point (or whatever it's called), which is connected to the outside NID (or whatever it's called) to the inside demarcation point via this thick flat cable. I think it's CAT3 with a thicker sheath, but I'm not sure. It's hard to see in this picture but it's the one on the right. I wonder if the wire gauge is thicker than conventional CAT3 though.

With this latter setup, the Cellpipe worked much better. The line seemed stable. However, if I check the logs, there are still occasional sync losses, but they're infrequent enough that I don't usually notice them. (eg. They might be at 4 am, or while I'm at work or something.)

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

Mine is hooked up in the basement next to the distribution block, where the POTS splitter is. The NID (Demarc) is outside, but the run to the distribution block is very short, less than 6 feet of the same thicker cable you described.
Eug
join:2007-04-14
Canada

Eug

What's that thick cable called anyway? It's not what I usually think of for CAT3.

I think I have about a 30-40 foot run from the NID to the POTS splitter with that cable.
rjrenholder
join:2012-03-05

rjrenholder to Phibian

to Phibian

Re: [DSL] Cellpipe random reboots / loss of sync (Check logs ple

I was having issues, so I called up tech support and they issued a new modem, same problem, got a new modem -- this time it came with the 1.0.4.3EF-STINGER firmware installed. Some minutes after installation and being connected it updated to the 1.0.4.4R8-wh and was running extremely stable (no disconnects) for about a week and now they've started happening again. I looked at the firmware and it's reverted to the 1.0.4.4R3WH version...

I have no clue what's going on anymore and I pretty much give up and give in.
singsonn
join:2009-08-12
Montreal, QC

singsonn to Phibian

to Phibian
Just got my 25/7 DSL installation yesterday. When I logged into the modem, I can see that my firmware version is v1.0.4.4R3WH with a release date of 2011/09/16 (the rebooting one apparently).

How do I proceed to get the new firmware?
decx
Premium Member
join:2002-06-07
Vancouver, BC

decx

Premium Member

You need to enable PPPoE on the modem and have the modem's PPPoE client login. Once it connects the modem should automatically have the new R8 firmware pushed to it.
singsonn
join:2009-08-12
Montreal, QC

singsonn

Thank you, it worked after an electrical reboot of the device.

Phibian
join:2009-06-01
Ottawa, ON

Phibian to JenSuisUn

to JenSuisUn
Hi Martin,

I'm just wondering where we are at on this. Has this issue been officially declared fixed or are we still waiting for things to settle a bit to make sure that it is really fixed? I (and I suspect others as well) am wondering what the plan is as far as compensation is concerned. I can understand if things are still settling but am just looking for a status update.

Thanks (and thanks again for all your hard work in getting us this far).