uniqs
share rss forum feed

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
reply to Eug

Re: Common firmware for all Cellpipe users?

username: test@test
password: test

TSI Martin
Premium
join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:33
reply to Eug

user test@test & password test
No dot com/net/ca etc.

Eug

join:2007-04-14
Canada
reply to Phibian

Re: [DSL] Cellpipe random reboots / loss of sync (Check logs ple

Thanks. The test login has been entered, and then I've put that unit back into storage. I'm now running my 1.0.4.4R8 unit again. (Not 1.0.4.4R8-wh)

I do wonder though if there will be a time in the future that 1.0.4.3EF-STINGER will be incompatible.
--
Everything Apple

TSI Robert
Premium
join:2011-12-05
Dresden, ON
reply to Phibian

FYI there is a newer firmware version for the Cellpipe. The new version ends with R8.
Modem must be in routed modem with a login. Once the modem is authenticated online, it should be able to communicate with the upgrade server. Modem will reboot & voila. should all be automatic
This upgrade was design for the reboot issue.

Thanks
TSI-Robert

TSI Robert
Premium
join:2011-12-05
Dresden, ON
reply to Phibian

Sorry guys I have posted this in the wrong spot. You guys already know about this upgrade

Vinh

join:2010-05-06
Mississauga, ON
reply to Phibian

This thread has a ton of pages, and I don't think I can sift through them all to get some concrete answers.

I've had random reboots ever since earlier this year, extremely annoying but I try my best to ignore it. It's become unbearable especially when having work calls drop on me or having big files being dropped because the modem decides to reboot itself.

In the recent posts, it seems people have gotten a solution and there was a compensation? I'm still having these problems daily and have no idea how to remedy it.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

TSI Martin
Premium
Chatham, ON

First off, check the firmware on the modem.

If you have it ending with r3, then you'll need to enter your authentication in the modem. Once connected, it'll reboot not too long after. If you check your firmware again it should end with r8.

If you already have r8 as your firmware, then there is something else at play that may need to be looked into. Bad sync, bad modem etc.

If you could post in the »TekSavvy Direct forum, we can have a look.

Martin
--
TSI Martin (Escalations / Social Media) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »»TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )
Follow me on Twitter : @TSIMartin

Vinh

join:2010-05-06
Mississauga, ON

How do I go about checking the firmware of my modem? Using »192.168.100.1 I can grab a few items such as:

PC Connectivity:
USB: N/A
Ethernet: 1G BaseT
USB VendID: N/A
MAC Address: 00:26:24:b4:76:92

Cable Signal: Ready
Tuning: Complete
Ranging: Complete
Data Service: Ready
Connecting: Complete
Configuring: Complete
Registering: Complete

Current State: Operational
Highest State Obtained: Operational

Configuration Parameters:
Computers Allowed by Service Provider: 2
Computers Detected by Modem: 2

Status Code: Operational
Software Version: STAC.02.08
Software Model: a81a
Bootloader: 2.3.0

Cable Signal Details
Forward Path:
Channel Frequency Power SNR BER Modulation
1 639.0 MHz 6.1 dBmV 38.5 dB 0.000 % 256 QAM
2 591.0 MHz 5.0 dBmV 38.4 dB 0.000 % 256 QAM
3 597.0 MHz 5.2 dBmV 38.8 dB 0.000 % 256 QAM
4 603.0 MHz 5.0 dBmV 38.5 dB 0.000 % 256 QAM
5 609.0 MHz 5.1 dBmV 38.9 dB 0.000 % 256 QAM
6 615.0 MHz 5.7 dBmV 38.5 dB 0.000 % 256 QAM
7 621.0 MHz 6.0 dBmV 38.6 dB 0.000 % 256 QAM
8 633.0 MHz 5.6 dBmV 38.0 dB 0.000 % 256 QAM

Return Path:
Channel ID Frequency Power Modulation
7 22.1 MHz 39.3 dBmV 16 QAM
3 31.3 MHz 39.8 dBmV 16 QAM
4 25.3 MHz 39.8 dBmV 16 QAM
8 38.6 MHz 39.8 dBmV 16 QAM
Data Service Details
Provisioned Address: Yes
Provisioned Time: Yes
Provisioned Configuration: Yes
BPI: Enabled

TSI Martin
Premium
Chatham, ON

OK Vinh See Profile

First & foremost, you are on Cable & not DSL. This Cellpipe rebooting issue is specifically DSL service using a Cellpipe modem.

Now since you are on Cable using a DCM475 modem with Firmware STAC.02.08 I'll ask that you post in the »TekSavvy Direct forum & we can see what can be done for you.

Regards,
Martin
--
TSI Martin (Escalations / Social Media) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Follow me on Twitter : @TSIMartin

tsiuser

@teksavvy.com

We've all been patient enough.
Bell and TSI are looking to sweep this under the rug.

All who have been wrong by the infamous Cellpipe 7130 and
the FORCED rental fee can do something.

Bell and CRTC need a voice loud enough to hear

»www.change.org/en-CA/petitions/b···ntal-fee

TSI Martin
Premium
Chatham, ON

It's not only the Cellpipe modems, but the Sagemcom ones as well.

vikingisson

join:2010-01-22
Mississauga, ON
reply to tsiuser

I've been staying out of this thread but that petition is the best idea I've seen so far. Frankly it is the forced rental of modem on a service that is clearly not ready for prime time that keeps me on a cable modem. My cable modem works fantastic but I'd really like better upstream speed. But this isn't it yet.

Even though I don't have this service I do have lots of painful experience with one. Without the endless details I'll only say that TSI did their best and Bell did their worst. Ultimately the buck stops at TSI but I understand the issues.

I don't see the magic or any technical reason for the limitation of this modem(s). Even cell service doesn't have this limitation, I can buy any compatible phone and use the service without locking myself to their device (most people do use the contract phone but you don't have to). While waiting for my new service I tethered via the cell for a week without the issues and interruptions I've seen with the cellpipe. There's no way that an ADSL2 modem is worth $100 per year especially when it isn't reliable and the odds are that your upstream won't be even half the advertised rate. If the technology behind it is that touchy then I won't touch it... sad.

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable

said by vikingisson:

I don't see the magic or any technical reason for the limitation of this modem(s).

Sadly, there is somewhat of a limitation, depending on the area you live and the equipment that serves it...

If you are served by Lucent Stinger remotes, there hasn't been a viable option out there for a 3rd party modem... Those Stingers were early VDSL chipsets, and they sort of require a modem that will work with them. Bell originally had the Cellpipe, and now have a Sagemcom that have custom firmware to work with them.

But there are a lot of areas that are on the newer, "Standard VDSL" remotes, Alcatel 7330's, for which 3rd party VDSL modems do work. At the very least, TSI and other ISP's should lobby for customers in those areas to be able to use their own modems. $108 per year in modem rental fees are ridiculous.
--

paul2012

join:2012-02-08
Hamilton, ON
reply to Phibian

Bump...

Martin, any word on what the promised financial compensation will be for affected users, and when we might expect it, now that the Cellpipe firmware reboot issue has been resolved for some time now?

TSI Andre
Got TekSavvy?
Premium,VIP
join:2008-06-03
Chatham, ON
kudos:24

said by paul2012:

Bump...

Martin, any word on what the promised financial compensation will be for affected users, and when we might expect it, now that the Cellpipe firmware reboot issue has been resolved for some time now?

I am looking into this for you right now.
--
TSI Andre
Director of Service Delivery
Authorized TekSavvy Employee ( »TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )
Follow me on Twitter!

paul2012

join:2012-02-08
Hamilton, ON

Thanks Andre!

marknotmarc

join:2012-01-17
Gloucester, ON
reply to TSI Andre

Bump again

toro

join:2006-01-27
Scarborough, ON
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Rogers Hi-Speed
·Bell Sympatico
reply to Phibian

I realize that this is somewhat off topic, but maybe someone who has experience with the Cellpipe automatic upgrade can help.
Does anything need to be enabled in the modem to take the upgrade, or is the upgrade somehow limited to one modem per connection ?
I picked up a couple Cellpipe modems from Value Village and I took them to a friend's place who has Bell Fibe. Both modems had firmware 1.0.4.3EF-STINGER to begin with and they were factory reset. First one got the upgrade within about 10 minutes of being connected. I didn't have to fill in any PPPoE username and password, it worked with the default ones that are pre-filled in the modem for the Bell activation.
For the second one, I left it connected overnight with the same settings but it did pick up the upgrade.
--
Providers: voip.ms, freephoneline, smartcall.ro through asterisk. Hardware: Vonage VDV21, Moto VT2x42, Linksys SPA series, Grandstream HT series, Panasonic KX-TGP5x0
»www.voipfan.net

TSI Martin
Premium
Chatham, ON

It simply needs to have an internet connection in PPPoE mode. Maybe the 2nd one is defective?

toro

Scarborough, ON

Nope, the modem is working fine. I'll leave it connected longer, hopefully it will pick it up at some point.

TSI Martin
Premium
Chatham, ON

What firmware is on this one? Could it be that it's already been upgraded?

toro

Scarborough, ON

1.0.4.3EF-STINGER

TSI Martin
Premium
Chatham, ON

That firmware should be fine.

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON

Keep it on the stinger firmware, it's actually much better than newer firmware which is designed to work on two types of remotes... The EF-STINGER is tuned to work specifically on the Lucent Stinger remotes...

toro

Scarborough, ON

OK, thanks !

AVBHS

join:2012-01-28
Etobicoke, ON
reply to Phibian

My modem started failing. Can anybody confirm the current firmware version - as i see on modem page this is 1.0.4.4R8. Maybe Bell once again pushed something "improved"?

TSI Martin
Premium
Chatham, ON

1.0.4.4r8 is the updated Cellpipe firmware.
What's the issue when you say.... it's "failing"?

Does it power cycle on it's own?
Does it loose sync?
Does wireless die?
Does it only loose the PPPoE connection?

If you'd like additional help, may I suggest you post in the »TekSavvy Direct forum.

Thanks,
Martin
--
TSI Martin (Escalations / E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Follow us on Twitter : @TekSavvyCSR ; @TekSavvyNetwork

Eug

join:2007-04-14
Canada

1 edit
reply to Phibian

Any reason to keep a Cellpipe 7130 on 1.0.4.3EF-Stinger now?

I still have that old Cellpipe 7130 with 1.0.4.3EF-Stinger in the closet that I'm not using. Any point in keeping it with that firmware, or should I get it updated to 1.0.4.4R8 before it becomes useless?

Or should I just keep it as test@test so it doesn't get updated?

--
Everything Apple

ijake

join:2013-03-04
reply to Phibian

Re: [DSL] Cellpipe random reboots / loss of sync (Check logs ple

My cellpipe firmware is r3. How do I get the r8 version?

What does it mean to "enter your authentication in the modem".

JakeUser25

@teksavvy.com
reply to Eug

RE: [DSL] Cellpipe random reboots / loss of sync

Hey, I have been having issues with this router for about half a year now. My modem would reset randomly, no pattern in between resets.

I have complained about this issue in the past on this post, and I was told it was just a firmware issue. Bell knows about it and was suppose to update the firmware later that month. This was about 6 months ago.

I have no idea if they updated the firmware. I am going to assume they did not because when I go to the system settings on the modem page I get this.

Firmware Version> v1.0.4.4R3WH
Release Date> 2011/09/16 12:00

I have called tekksavvy about this issue many of times, and every single person I talk to seems clueless about this problem, and always acts like this is the first they have ever even heard the problem. This post has 72 pages, so I find this very hard to believe.

Although I do want to mention something else. TekSavvy sent me a new modem from bell. Its not a cellpipe modem, it is called a Sagemcom F@ST 2864. I assumed this would have fixed the issue. It did not. This modem also resets randomly with no pattern in between. The worst part is, when this modem restarts, it takes 12 times longer than the cellpipe, to boot up and connect me to the internet.

This leads me to believe that the problem lies within the wiring. I don't think its the power, as I have been trying this on different outlets around the house.

I actually want to know. Has this issue been resolved for anyone else? If so how was it fixed?