spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Phibian
join:2009-06-01
Ottawa, ON

Phibian

Re: [DSL] Cellpipe random reboots / loss of sync (Check logs ple

I've passed on the details to teksavvy and requested a plan of action to get us working modems. I'm waiting for a response but don't expect anything until Monday.
Roop
join:2003-11-15
Ottawa, ON

Roop

i don't recall having this problem right from day one, i seem to recall it started after a period of time.

i had factory reset the cellpipe last night at 9:46pm. i logged into it and only made one single change: disabling wifi. i left everything else alone and PPPoE'd through it. it's been online since without an issue.

things i was changing before:
network IP, it's 192.168.2.1 by default, i changed this
disable HPNA
disable the vlan35/36 thing
disable dhcp configured syslog server
added one static route to get to the syslog server

Phibian
Ottawa, ON

Phibian

I've had the problem from day one (Mid December).

I disable wifi and dhcp
Set a new static IP (192.168.2/3.254) 2 for one and 3 for the other modem so that I can easily access the GUIs through the router/firewall.
Set to PPPoE (Internet Only) and don't enter any login.
Set an admin login and password.
No static routes or anything else.
I only started doing the syslog thing when I was trying to figure out the timing since the log times are wrong as you know.

I typically see at least one reboot event within 24 hours but on rare occasions it has made it slightly longer than 24 hours.

None of this should impact anything though. It is not like either of us are setting all sorts for crazy filters on it (which it should be able to handle just fine). We are using it in about the dumbest mode it can run in.

Oh and how did you disable HPNA? I can't seem to find that in the menus.

Honestly if the sagemcom works and I had the option of buying a pair for something resembling a reasonable price I would. I just need this to work.

Still no response from teksavvy. Come Monday I'm turning up the heat on them because this is ridiculous.

marknotmarc
@teksavvy.com

marknotmarc

Anon

I had the same issue with the same firmware. I am using the modem in bridge mode with my WNDR3700 router. I am located in the east end of Ottawa.

This is my disconnection log from the week leading up to the tech visit

Internet disconnected] Sunday, January 08,2012 21:24:04
Internet disconnected Sunday, January 08,2012 16:36:40
Internet disconnected Sunday, January 08,2012 13:19:19
Internet disconnected Sunday, January 08,2012 10:04:27
Internet disconnected Saturday, January 07,2012 04:48:11
Internet disconnected Saturday, January 07,2012 00:34:31
Internet disconnected Thursday, January 05,2012 08:37:55
Internet disconnected Thursday, January 05,2012 03:52:55
Internet disconnected Monday, January 02,2012 07:20:29
Internet disconnected Saturday, December 31,2011 16:51:58
Internet disconnected Saturday, December 31,2011 15:37:49
Internet disconnected Friday, December 30,2011 05:33:55

I pestered teksavvy as my install was still under the one month warranty. They escalated to Bell, and a Bell contractor came out. I explained the issue and showed him the reboot logs that were identical to yours. He had brought along a Bell Cellpipe modem with firmware 1.0.4.3EF-ISAM and I attached that. He got permission from his supervisor to leave that modem at my apt and have me monitor. It has been almost a week and I have not had a single disconnect.
Roop
Ottawa, ON

Roop to Phibian

to Phibian
here's how to get 2 sagemcoms:

get DSL directly from bell (25/7 is $27 right now)
that's the first sagemcom. tell them you lost it/ate it/set it on fire and pay for another one. do that again and bam. two sagemcoms.

cellpipe is still connected.

hpna is an option somewhere i seem to recall.
Cloneman
join:2002-08-29
Montreal

Cloneman to Phibian

to Phibian
During a crash, does ping work?

Phibian
Ottawa, ON

Phibian to marknotmarc

to marknotmarc
Thanks for the info. If there is a working firmware then that would be great. I'll talk to teksavvy about that.
Phibian

Phibian to Cloneman

to Cloneman
Ping to the outside world does not work. I haven't tried a ping to the modem itself.
Roop
Ottawa, ON

Roop to Phibian

to Phibian
i'm still online with my factory resetted cellpipe. my router's PPPoE logs show no reconnection attempts since I last put the cellpipe back in service.

Phibian, could you try doing the same thing? factory reset your modem and only disable wifi. Don't change it's IP or anything else. I think of all the things I did, changing the IP was the most likely to cause this. perhaps bell/alcatel never tested/QA'd the firmware for different addresses and maybe that's when it runs into a bug.

Phibian
Ottawa, ON

Phibian

Will do.
Roop
Ottawa, ON

Roop

there was a PPPoE reconnect at 4:28pm today through the cellpipe. The sagemcom did not register any problem at that time. My VPN dropped at that time and I had to manually intervene to bring the VPN back up... just slightly annoying.

I would say the config reset and config change if anything may have decreased the frequency of the problem but it's still there.

I would like either a fixed firmware or a sagemcom.

Phibian
Ottawa, ON

Phibian

I'll let you know how my test goes but I'm 99% sure I'll see issues too.

I agree that we need either fixed firmware or a different modem and ASAP. If Bell won't give them the firmware or the modems then they had better find another way to get them.

Teksavvy has finally replied and their reply is - well let's just say I'm extremely disappointed. They asked me all sorts of questions about filters and wiring details. Stating that they needed to review such details before requesting a modem replacement from Bell.

I've already had one modem replacement (with the same broken firmware) and the thing reboots when it is not even connected to the phone line so wiring is obviously not the issue. It is as if they aren't even reading what I'm writing.

I've asked for a manager to please call me tomorrow.

I honestly expected more from them.

MarkNotMarc
@teksavvy.com

MarkNotMarc

Anon

Still not disconnects for me after a full week with the new Cellpipe with the new firmware 1.0.4.3EF-ISAM. The Bell modem is in bridge mode with WIFI disabled.

I did try all the things you tried on the old modem. Disabling WIFI, factory resetting, turning off the DHCP server (which was a pain anytime I wanted to check the modem logs I had to manually configure a network setting), I also followed another set of advice which was to enter PPoE blank credentials when using bridge mode. None of these worked.

The only thing that worked, and I think I got lucky, was the new modem with the 1.0.4.3EF-ISAM firmware. I don't think they want Teksavvy clients to have this version as when you first open you browser and you are directly connected to the modem it gives you a Bell setup wizard.
Roop
Ottawa, ON

Roop to Phibian

to Phibian
sigh. I really don't like saying this and don't want to say it but teksavvy is not the company they were 3-4 years ago when I first joined.

If the cellpipe continues with this behavior, I think I'll just tell bell I lost/burned/through out my sagemcom and pay them for another one. then i'll have two sagemcoms and not have to worry about this BS. I'm not sure if I can just walk into a bell store and buy a sagemcom either. there's one in bayshore, maybe that'll work.

I sure as hell am not going through the crap you went through with tek so far.
Roop

Roop to MarkNotMarc

to MarkNotMarc
hmm, If we had a way to dump and re-upload this firmware we could try this...

Phibian
Ottawa, ON

Phibian

TSI-Martin is now looking into this for me. Sounds slightly more hopeful... I'll keep you all posted.

For the firmware I found this on the Telus forum. Seems like it is possible but I'm hardly an expert on such things.

»Alcatel Cellpipe 7130 TJ3-65-014E modified TELUS firmware

The description of what to do is about halfway down the page. It also sounds like the firmware for the Telus modem is somewhat different in that it comes with a section in the UI to upload a new firmware image. It may also be that the Telus hardware is slightly different too. I remember reading somewhere that there are several different variants of the Cellpipe 7130.
Roop
Ottawa, ON

Roop

i'll give that firmware a shot when i get home. this cellpipe is pretty useless as it is, if i brick it then oh well.

i had an outage this morning. i have one right now. for whatever reason, the cellpipe or router didn't recover on it's own and i'm not at home so i'll have to walk my wife through the fix. yay!

Stefan
@teksavvy.com

Stefan

Anon

I have the same problem my Cellpipe randomly reboots (not dropping sync). I can tell its a reboot because all the lights go out even the LAN lights and the power light.

Here is the log, you can see where it reboots at line 10.
Firmware is version v1.0.4.4R3WH

»pastebin.com/6Mgm2PiL

Phibian
Ottawa, ON

Phibian

Yup that looks exactly like the issue.

Cool that you've caught it in the act. I've never seen it with my own eyes as it lives in the basement and I'm upstairs. I think this is the 100% confirmation that we needed that the thing is completely rebooting.

I'm still working on TSI for some sort of resolution. TSI-Martin is the one currently handling this. I might suggest that everyone send him an IM directly to let him know that you are affected by the Cellpipe reboot issue.

The squeaky wheel gets the grease, right?
abcxyz123
join:2012-01-17
k2k0h2

abcxyz123

I IMed Martin with the solution to my reboots with my Cellpipe modem model version and firmware version, and the Bell techs cellphone number and hopefully you guys can get it fixed like I did. It took a few tech visits and a number of calls to get mine fixed.

FYI here was the reboot log I used to see:

2011-12-09F01:31:05 HPNA info HPNA device is ready to be loaded with fw
2011-12-09F01:31:12 HPNA info Set HPNA device's mac address
2011-12-09F01:31:12 HPNA info Activate loaded fw image
2011-12-09F01:31:17 GUI info this firmware is version v1.0.4.4R3WH
2011-12-09F01:31:17 UPnP info UPnP IGD started
2011-12-09F01:31:18 UPnP info Known Connection Type(PPP type)! Use file: xml/igdPPPDesc.xml...
2011-12-09F01:31:26 Ethernet info Link 2 Up - 100Base-TX Full Duplex
2011-12-09F01:32:21 VDSL notice Detect VDSL Link UP...

Phibian
Ottawa, ON

Phibian

Thanks marknotmarc!

The sooner this gets resolved the more hair I'm likely to have left...
Roop
Ottawa, ON

Roop

I posted in the direct forum for this. TSI has asked for my cellpipe to be swapped with a sagemcom. Hopefully that happens in good time. They didn't ask me for more info but I gave them a lot. Sadly not everyone is going to have both a bell/sagemcom and a tek/cellpipe to do various tests with... maybe in the future we'll only have the right firmware or a sagemcom to begin with.

Phibian
Ottawa, ON

Phibian

Thanks for the info.

TSI has apparently requested a swap for both of my modems although Martin didn't know for sure what they will send so I'm guessing I'll get two new cellpipes with the same busted firmware. He said if I do to let him know and he'll explore other avenues.

Please let us know what ends up happening as I'm sure that all of us would like this to just go away and the sooner we find an angle that works the sooner we can all get something that actually fixed the problem.
Phibian

Phibian

I never posted back about this but for the public record I can confirm Roop's findings that a factory reset device with only wifi disabled still reboots itself even with no phone line connected.

I got one modem today... yup another cellpipe running the same firmware... Martin sent an email to Bell and is awaiting a reply.

If Bell is really sending out faulty devices but only to wholesale customers and they know that the devices are faulty (which it seems they do) then is this not something the CRTC should be aware of?
s0dhi
join:2011-08-02
Brampton, ON

s0dhi to Phibian

to Phibian
I'm having the same issue as well.

I called TSI today and the tech thought it could be a flakey line card since my line stats are awesome.

I get the same result as you've reported, loss of sync and modem reboot and it happens sporadically.

Phibian
Ottawa, ON

Phibian

I would suggest talking to TSI-Martin directly about it.
Phibian

Phibian

Got a second cellpipe today as well. Same firmware. Martin says that Bell replied and that well try the swap again. Third time's a charm?
abcxyz123
join:2012-01-17
k2k0h2

abcxyz123 to Phibian

to Phibian
I can confirm that for me the phone was not an issue as I have a dry loop. The line stats were all excellent.

JenSuisUn
Premium Member
join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON

JenSuisUn to s0dhi

Premium Member

to s0dhi
You should try to see if the modem power cycles even when there isn't an RJ11 to it. The logs should show it reboot... Probably best to test while your sleeping.
s0dhi
join:2011-08-02
Brampton, ON

s0dhi

said by JenSuisUn:

You should try to see if the modem power cycles even when there isn't an RJ11 to it. The logs should show it reboot... Probably best to test while your sleeping.

I'll try to give that a shot but as it stands, my connection has been up for just over 20h. There is no pattern to the disconnect (or at least not one that I've yet determined).