uniqs

Michail
Premium Member
join:2000-08-02
Boynton Beach, FL

Michail

Premium Member

[OC] AMD X6 1090T question

From the little research I have done it feels like the turbo technology is more like something the marketing department came up with and told the engineers to implement.

I'm thinking a good setup for this CPU would be to disable turbo mode and try an overclock at default voltage to 3.7 Ghz. This would keep power usage lower than turbo mode and offer up an even faster clock over all 6 cores than turbo mode would.

However, I'm a little unfamiliar with overclocking on these newer platforms. Would cool and quiet mode still work to idle the cores with this type of overclock?
18172841 (banned)
join:2001-10-06
Lagrangeville, NY

18172841 (banned)

It is not, you are using MORE power and going outside the TDP targets... you can not stick all the cores to X speed, and expect it to be the same as Y cores at X speed. Also I really doubt you are going to hit 3.7 at stock voltage...

Anyway, it should, but I am not big on AMD cpus as they have been for a long time lower end. Intels speed step does, but if you have stability issues you may need to turn off C&Q.

Michail
Premium Member
Boynton Beach, FL

Michail

Premium Member

I was just going by an online review of the processor. They got 3.7 at default voltage and 4 Ghz with a bump, less than the turbo voltage.

Smoove910
Premium Member
join:2005-08-01
Nampa, ID

Smoove910 to Michail

Premium Member

to Michail
said by Michail:

From the little research I have done it feels like the turbo technology is more like something the marketing department came up with and told the engineers to implement.

I'm thinking a good setup for this CPU would be to disable turbo mode and try an overclock at default voltage to 3.7 Ghz. This would keep power usage lower than turbo mode and offer up an even faster clock over all 6 cores than turbo mode would.

However, I'm a little unfamiliar with overclocking on these newer platforms. Would cool and quiet mode still work to idle the cores with this type of overclock?

You could disable turbo mode and try overclocking to 3.7ghz. I've seen it to be rather common to hit those speeds at stock voltages, so you may have a good chance. Worse case scenario is you may have to add a small amount of voltage to stabilize it at that speed. Also, Cool-n-Quiet would work to lower clock speeds/voltages when the load isn't required.

Michail
Premium Member
Boynton Beach, FL

Michail

Premium Member

said by Smoove910:

You could disable turbo mode and try overclocking to 3.7ghz. I've seen it to be rather common to hit those speeds at stock voltages, so you may have a good chance. Worse case scenario is you may have to add a small amount of voltage to stabilize it at that speed. Also, Cool-n-Quiet would work to lower clock speeds/voltages when the load isn't required.

That is my plan. It should make for an interesting experiment this weekend. I'm going to log temps before and after to see how it goes.

Another plan might be to leave turbo on and run an overclock that can hit 4 Ghz in turbo mode. I'll need to research that option a bit more.

Oh, the MB is a ASUS M5A97, »www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· 13131767
Michail

Michail

Premium Member

Oh, forgot to mention, I used the "auto tune" feature in the bios. It OC'd to 3.7+ but dropped the FSB/memory considerably in the process. I didn't trust this so I back out to defaults.
18172841 (banned)
join:2001-10-06
Lagrangeville, NY

18172841 (banned)

Good rule is never use auto anything to overclock.

Never played with an amd so all I can offer is if you do not get enough help here...

»www.overclock.net

Don't think I need to say anymore lol.

pr1mo
Premium Member
join:2003-11-12
Chicago, IL

pr1mo to Michail

Premium Member

to Michail
I'm running this CPU on an Asus Crosshair IV Formula @ 3.91 and I didn't touch voltages...

Nanoprobe3
Looking for cures in memory of Mom
Premium Member
join:2003-05-11
Crab Nebula

Nanoprobe3

Premium Member

said by pr1mo:

I'm running this CPU on an Asus Crosshair IV Formula @ 3.91 and I didn't touch voltages...

That's because AMD tends to way over volt their CPUs @ stock settings.

Michail
Premium Member
Boynton Beach, FL

Michail

Premium Member

Just reporting back some interesting results.

I disabled turbo mode and multiplyer clocked it to 3.7 Ghz. So far so good. It actually seems to run my son's games cooler and faster than the stock turbo mode.

It gets a tad warm with all 6 cores @ 100% and 3.7 Ghz. This is with OEM cooler and default voltage.

The new Asus bios is a bit confusing so it took me a while to figure out the multiplyer setting and memory timeings at 1600.

Smoove910
Premium Member
join:2005-08-01
Nampa, ID

Smoove910 to Michail

Premium Member

to Michail
So with the extra cores unlocked, what are you using to get an accurate reading on temps?

Michail
Premium Member
Boynton Beach, FL

Michail

Premium Member

Just speed fan.