spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Jordon1980
@rogers.com

Jordon1980

Anon

Help! Rogers took my money.

I need help getting $600 back that Rogers withdrew from my bank account last month in addition to my monthly bill. What happened is my sister lived with me this summer and when she moved overseas she stopped paying her cell bill. Rogers never got a hold of her and now they have taken the money for her bill in her name out of my bank account. Just because we shared the same address doesn’t make me responsible for her debts, she is an adult. I also never authorized Rogers to withdraw money from my account for things other than my bill.

I called Rogers right away and they said someone would call me back to resolve the issue. I waited 5 days and never received a call from them. I called again on Saturday and was promised someone would call that afternoon. It's now Tuesday, what should I do?

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON

mozerd

MVM

Call you bank and request that the bank reverse the Rogers transaction - explain to the bank exactly what you described in your post.

Rogers do not have the right to withdraw funds from your account unless you explicitly provided that authority.

RogersHelp
@genworth.com

RogersHelp to Jordon1980

Anon

to Jordon1980
Dude, you authorized Rogers to take money out of the account when you gave them access to bill the account. The account is their billing entity, they consider your sister and you to be the same person. You should check the details of how your account is set up, you are probably the main name on the account hence you are essentially co-signing your sisters debts. You should check for any other accounts your sister was on as you might be in for a surprise. Bottom line is that unless you can find some legal fine print to get you out of this, you will likely have to cover the $600 and collect from your sis. Good luck.
bt
join:2009-02-26
canada

bt

said by RogersHelp :

The account is their billing entity, they consider your sister and you to be the same person.

Only if they were attached to the same Rogers account. If not, they have no legal standing for withdrawing that money.

To the OP: First, double check that your name wasn't anywhere on your sister's account. Assuming it isn't, contact your bank as mozerd suggested, then contact the Office of the President at Rogers. If that doesn't get you anywhere, the CCTS might.

Document all interactions, in case they send it to collections under your name.

scammmmed
@telus.net

scammmmed to Jordon1980

Anon

to Jordon1980
What Rogers did is called 'theft', but the police won't initially help you(digital world excuse), as you need to talk to the ""manager"" at the bank and tell them an unauthorized withdrawal was done on your account. Then the bank can do various things to get your money back, which could also include the police should Rogers feel like not releasing your money back. Be also advised that if the unauthorized withdrawal caused you to have overage charges, is Rogers is responsible to pay those extra fee's due to the theft unauthorized withdrawal they did.
Be warned that some bank front end tellers have been known to say they can do nothing about automatic withdrawals, and then you have to go higher in the bank to get someone who knows what laws say in regards to theft from your bank account.
There have been various postings about Rogers combining accounts in the same household without permission. People may remember the one about how the cheating spouse got caught with her new lover due to a now combined account with detailed billing.

ummmnoos
@204.45.133.x

ummmnoos to Jordon1980

Anon

to Jordon1980
The only way this could happen is if your sister opened her line under your account with or without your permission. If it indeed is linked to your account then there is nothing that can be done.

Are you sure your sister didn't open an account in your name, use your banking info etc..

We are missing info here and I suspect there are reasons.
JAC70
join:2008-10-20
canada

JAC70 to Jordon1980

to Jordon1980
Did you act as her guarantor for her to get credit approval for her cell service? From her actions, it sounds like she probably needed one.
MichelR
join:2011-07-03
Trois-Rivieres, QC

MichelR

Once you get this fixed, stop the automatic payments out of your account and switch to online billing, then use a credit card the bill payment feature of your bank's web site to pay "manually" each month. I've seen many horror stories of automatic withdrawal gone wild.

TLS2000
Premium Member
join:2004-02-24
Elmsdale, NS
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Ubiquiti U6-LR
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-nanoHD

TLS2000 to RogersHelp

Premium Member

to RogersHelp
said by RogersHelp :

Dude, you authorized Rogers to take money out of the account when you gave them access to bill the account. The account is their billing entity, they consider your sister and you to be the same person. You should check the details of how your account is set up, you are probably the main name on the account hence you are essentially co-signing your sisters debts. You should check for any other accounts your sister was on as you might be in for a surprise. Bottom line is that unless you can find some legal fine print to get you out of this, you will likely have to cover the $600 and collect from your sis. Good luck.

Rogers has a history of merging accounts at the same address that are under different account holders without permission or notification. They've done it to me and they've done it to other people.

If no permission was ever given for them to withdraw the money for his sister's account, and he never gave permission for them to have his name on her account, then Rogers has no standing.

Unless they have a signature on file or a recorded phone conversation where the OP gave permission to be on her account, then they have stolen the money.

OP, what I would do is go after Rogers. A senior customer service representative should be able to explain what happened AND correct whatever issue caused the problem. If they refuse to help, I'd go straight to the CCTS and skip the OOP.

At the same time, realizing that this may take them time to correct, I'd go after your sister and tell her that they're refusing to refund the money and she owes you $600. Even if Rogers eventually gives you your money back, you can make good on her debt this way.
TLS2000

TLS2000 to ummmnoos

Premium Member

to ummmnoos
said by ummmnoos :

The only way this could happen is if your sister opened her line under your account with or without your permission. If it indeed is linked to your account then there is nothing that can be done.

If she managed to open the account and link it to his without his permission then Rogers has no standing. He has to authorize it. I mean, how would you like it if I opened up an account with Rogers and told them to link it to your account and then ran out on the bill?
randomzero
join:2010-03-25

1 edit

randomzero to Jordon1980

to Jordon1980
Merging "accounts" doesn't put them on the same bill, thus doesn't put them on the same account. In this case, it may be possible that they did merge the profile, but not the accounts. But this only happens when the account holders name, address, and credit info matches (It's verified manually, not by any automatic system)

The ONLY way you would have been billed is if you had set up pre-authorized payments on the account initially (the bills were automatically withdrawn from your bank account) in which case, you clearly did authorize it as the bill was withdrawn from your account automatically each and every month.

All you can do in this case is have your bank reverse the payment (and pay the fee involved with that), but since it is apparently your credit information on the account, your credit will take the hit.

Pauly
join:2004-05-29
canada

Pauly

noticed how the op never replied in 2 days?
perhaps hes embarased that he was wrong, or maybe theres more to the story that he told us and he has not come back on here to admit that to us.

a_large_rock
join:2003-08-02
L6H0H3

a_large_rock

said by Pauly:

perhaps hes embarased that he was wrong, or maybe theres more to the story that he told us and he has not come back on here to admit that to us.

2 Days? What kind of new math are you using? Try 22 hours. How embarrassing for you :P

Cheese
Premium Member
join:2003-10-26
Naples, FL

Cheese to Pauly

Premium Member

to Pauly
said by Pauly:

Or maybe, he doesn't have time to just browse the site every second of the day? And he posted yesterday, clearly not 2 days

Jordon1980
@rogers.com

Jordon1980 to Jordon1980

Anon

to Jordon1980
I'm on the phone with them right now and we've discovered something. My bill is in my name and i'm the only person listed on the account as expected. My sisters bill is in her name, however her account has both her and her husband listed. She doesn't have a husband that i am aware of anyway and she never told rogers she did.

Do you think rogers found my account listed under the same address and last name and presumed I was her husband?

hm
@videotron.ca

hm

Anon

said by Jordon1980 :

I'm on the phone with them right now and we've discovered something. My bill is in my name and i'm the only person listed on the account as expected. My sisters bill is in her name, however her account has both her and her husband listed. She doesn't have a husband that i am aware of anyway and she never told rogers she did.

Do you think rogers found my account listed under the same address and last name and presumed I was her husband?

It wouldn't be the first time Rogers did something similar to this. There is actually a class action about this (similar).

If what you are saying is true, then there is also a privacy violation here.

Pauly
canada

Pauly

tell them to trace the payment, thats messed, someones gonna loose their job

TLS2000
Premium Member
join:2004-02-24
Elmsdale, NS
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Ubiquiti U6-LR
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-nanoHD

TLS2000 to randomzero

Premium Member

to randomzero
said by randomzero:

Merging "accounts" doesn't put them on the same bill, thus doesn't put them on the same account. In this case, it may be possible that they did merge the profile, but not the accounts. But this only happens when the account holders name, address, and credit info matches (It's verified manually, not by any automatic system)

The ONLY way you would have been billed is if you had set up pre-authorized payments on the account initially (the bills were automatically withdrawn from your bank account) in which case, you clearly did authorize it as the bill was withdrawn from your account automatically each and every month.

All you can do in this case is have your bank reverse the payment (and pay the fee involved with that), but since it is apparently your credit information on the account, your credit will take the hit.

I'm sorry, but that doesn't explain how my father became the primary account holder on my wireless account when he has never had dealings with Rogers Wireless. I only discovered it when I tried to make a change to my account and was told I wasn't authorised to do so without his permission.

They actually made me get him to call them and give permission to put the account back in to my name. They then insisted that I needed a credit check done as I was a new account holder. This is despite the fact that I opened the account on my own (no cosigner) and was the account holder for more than 10 years. My father and I don't have similar names so their so called "manual verification" shouldn't have allowed it to happen.

The only way I got out of the credit check was when I told them that they would never receive another payment again. Quite simply, they could not produce a document to prove that my father was the one who opened the account, and since they had unilaterally decided that I wasn't the account holder they had voided the written contract they had with me.

There is a PIN on my account now to prevent unauthorised changes. According to the CSR supervisor I dealt with this should prevent our accounts from ever being linked again.
randomzero

randomzero to Jordon1980

to Jordon1980
The confusion starts when you don't really know the system and what the differences are.

Changing the name on the account is different than merging it with another account. There definitely would have been a record of the name on the account being changed, had it been changed at all. The problem is there's often no notes regarding such interaction (interaction is recorded as a rep took a call, but the rep didn't leave any notes about such interaction, or just left extremely vague notes), so without actually doing a bit of research (which reps often avoid at all costs), no one could know what actually happened.

I suspect, either through miscommunication between rep and customer, or lack of understanding on either end resulted in the name being changed, and possibly the credit info as well.

The PIN on the account is entirely useless if the reps don't ask for it. It doesn't "restrict access" when it's not provided, it's just a prompt (a radio button indicating there's a PIN) to remind the rep that they should ask for it instead of the other methods of verification. I have a PIN on my account but that doesn't stop reps from not asking for it half the time.

In the end, you'll likely blame Rogers for this. But really, it's the idiotic people that took the calls. There's simply no test for common sense, so there's no way to prevent hiring these halfwits.
Robrr
join:2008-04-19

Robrr to Jordon1980

to Jordon1980
I've been down this exact same road where Rogers combined my acct with the people who moved into my old apartment.

When I moved apartments in my building, I didn't call Rogers right away to tell them of the change as I only have wireless with them.

When the new tenants moved into my old apartment, they signed up for various Rogers services and the Rogers billing system decided to automatically link my acct with their acct.

It tool several calls to Rogers before they finally got it somewhat straightened out.

J E F F4
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4 to MichelR

Premium Member

to MichelR
said by MichelR:

Once you get this fixed, stop the automatic payments out of your account and switch to online billing, then use a credit card the bill payment feature of your bank's web site to pay "manually" each month. I've seen many horror stories of automatic withdrawal gone wild.

yep, that's what i do...

Pauly
canada

Pauly

then you need to complain to oop and get the rep fired who did this, as youve been defrauded

ummmnoos
@204.45.133.x

ummmnoos to Jordon1980

Anon

to Jordon1980
No rep did this and there is no enough details as to what happened.

As someone else said there are 2 systems.

ICM - Profile System, does not do billing but from time to time links accounts of people who live at the same address etc.. apt buildings which are not mark as apt buildings for example. This system does not do billing, payments, invoices or anything like that. It's just a profile system.

V21 - Billing system, 100% not possible for it to automatically link accounts, for PAP via bank account you have to provide a blank cheque or one of those forms from the bank and it is manually put into the system. CSR's themselves cannot sign people up for pre-auth chequing withdraws.

I suspect that the OP opened the line on his account for his sister who then skipped town and now he is stuck with this line and contract and is trying to make a fuss to get out of it.

There is no way this was done automatically.

nekkidtruth
YISMM
Premium Member
join:2002-05-20
London, ON
Netgear R7000
Asus RT-N66
Hitron CODA-4582

nekkidtruth

Premium Member

said by ummmnoos :

ICM - Profile System, does not do billing but from time to time links accounts of people who live at the same address etc.. apt buildings which are not mark as apt buildings for example. This system does not do billing, payments, invoices or anything like that. It's just a profile system.

V21 - Billing system, 100% not possible for it to automatically link accounts, for PAP via bank account you have to provide a blank cheque or one of those forms from the bank and it is manually put into the system. CSR's themselves cannot sign people up for pre-auth chequing withdraws.

I suspect that the OP opened the line on his account for his sister who then skipped town and now he is stuck with this line and contract and is trying to make a fuss to get out of it.

Except there are countless stories just like this where it was absolutely automated. This happens with Rogers and it happens often. If you want to offer possible scenerios as to what MIGHT have happened, fine. But don't flat out scream BS when in this thread alone there are other stories to support it.

Or...you could continue to wear your blinders.
randomzero

randomzero

said by nekkidtruth:

Except there are countless stories just like this where it was absolutely automated. This happens with Rogers and it happens often. If you want to offer possible scenerios as to what MIGHT have happened, fine. But don't flat out scream BS when in this thread alone there are other stories to support it.

Except, the stories in this thread support the post.

You could learn to read, or, continue to spew out ignorance.

ummmnoos
@cgocable.net

ummmnoos to nekkidtruth

Anon

to nekkidtruth
said by nekkidtruth:

said by ummmnoos :

Anyone here who works on those systems each day can flat out call BS on this because they know the billing system does not do anything that would allow money from bank account a) to be auto removed for wireless account b) unless wireless account b) is under the persons name.
Robrr

2 edits

Robrr

Click for full size
If Rogers systems can merge two completed unrelated people onto one account, why can't it just randomly grab money from someone's account?

You'll notice that one of the 3 red circles don't match. So I fully believe Rogers system would automatically make an unwanted link and then withdraw funds from the OP's account.

Pauly
canada

Pauly

who is rob and who is steve
Robrr

Robrr

Rob is me... hence the username Robrr. Steve D is the guy who moved into my old apartment.

I owned the account and had for many years without issue until this past September when I moved apartments within my building. When Steve D moved into my old apartment, Rogers billing system automatically linked our accounts because we had the same address (I had been lazy about going online or calling to change it)

It took a few calls to Rogers and a few days to sort it all out.

Pauly
canada

Pauly

so its fixed now?