or is there some "use" fine print?

does anyone know?

thank you...

stray
join:2000-01-16
Warren, NJ

stray

Fine print from 1and1 TOS:
Should your use of the 1&1 Services result in an overly high load on the 1&1 Equipment, in 1&1's sole discretion, 1&1 may suspend your account until the cause of any such overload is determined and resolved.
No "unlimited" plan is really unlimited. If you're thinking of terabytes of storage and bandwidth, it ain't gonna happen.

1and1 is not a particularly good shared hosting service. I have several clients who use them. Lots of outages, on average every week or two. Proprietary control panel that's not very helpful. No SSH access. Email often takes hours to be delivered/received. Unhelpful customer support (yes, they answer the phone, but are totally powerless.)

You have other choices which would be better. One suggestion would be Hostgator. Standard Cpanel & SSH. I've got quite a few clients who're happy with them. Can't remember when I've seen any downtime.

usa2k
Blessed
MVM
join:2003-01-26
Westland, MI

1 edit

usa2k to inGearX

MVM

to inGearX

Re: Space/Traffic : unlimited/unlimited

Second vote for HostGator.com, I've used them a couple of years.

Awesome tech support when trying to figure out features, or issues.

One thing, renewal usually does not allow coupon discounts, so sheer competence and great fast support keep me there.

(From the last news letter I got)
HostGator November 2011 Stats:

Domains Hosted: 7,154,339
Data Hosted: 1.21 PB
Emails Received: 644,193,021
Emails Sent: 503,183,391
Spam Stopped: 2,848,293,522

They are also hiring in Houston - especially if you know LINUX.

Mospaw
My socks don't match.

join:2001-01-08
New Braunfels, TX

1 recommendation

Mospaw to inGearX

to inGearX

I've said this before: avoid 1&1 like the plague. They really, really screwed me and a friend a few years ago, and I will actively continue to discourage anyone from using their service whenever I see them mentioned.

(If you want details, I can look up my previous posts and link them. Trust me: their customer service stinks.)

Zac
Premium Member
join:2001-09-12
Calgary, AB

1 recommendation

Zac to usa2k

Premium Member

to usa2k

Here's a third recommendation for HostGator! Ive been with them for several years now, on a reseller plan. Great features, great support.

At one point one of my domains was somehow hacked or had an email script planted on it, resulting in 25,000 emails being sent in a day, they suspended that domain, and promptly sent me an email and even called and left a message on my voicemail. They told me the file name of the script that was causing problems, I temporarily removed it to do some changes, then put it back in place, modified it so every IP that accessed that specific file was added automatically to the .htaccess file and blocked. I can say I have a hefty list of IPs that are blocked from that domain.

Anyway, a bit off topic, but they've been great. I highly recommend them.

DC DSL
There's a reason I'm Command.
Premium Member
join:2000-07-30
Washington, DC
Actiontec GT784WN

DC DSL to Mospaw

Premium Member

to Mospaw

said by Mospaw:

I've said this before: avoid 1&1 like the plague.

+1G

Seriously. 1and1 is as pathetic as GoDaddy and any Verio brand. If only there were an unofficial FAQ that tells people to not even think of these ripoffmeisters.

Shelly512
Premium Member
join:2011-11-30
Wauseon, OH

Shelly512 to inGearX

Premium Member

to inGearX
any host that offers unlimited everything has something in their fine print of the TOS that limits it.

In all reality there is no such thing as unlimited space because every harddrive has a limit. You can't really expect to pay a few dollars a month to have hundreds of GB of space to use.

kontos
xyzzy
join:2001-10-04
West Henrietta, NY

kontos to inGearX

to inGearX
1&1 TOS:
quote:

You shall at all times use Web Site Space exclusively as a conventional Web Site. You shall not use the Web Site Space or Your Services in any way which may result in an excessive load on the 1&1 Equipment, including but not limited to installing or running web proxies, using your allotted space as online backup or storage, or mirroring mass downloads. Use of Web Site Space and Your Services shall be in a manner consistent with this Agreement and shall not in any way impair the functioning or operation of 1&1's Equipment or network. Should your use of the 1&1 Services result in an overly high load on the 1&1 Equipment, in 1&1's sole discretion, 1&1 may suspend your account until the cause of any such overload is determined and resolved.