share rss forum feed

Smoove910
Premium
join:2005-08-01
Nampa, ID
reply to Michail

Re: [OC] AMD X6 1090T question

said by Michail:

From the little research I have done it feels like the turbo technology is more like something the marketing department came up with and told the engineers to implement.

I'm thinking a good setup for this CPU would be to disable turbo mode and try an overclock at default voltage to 3.7 Ghz. This would keep power usage lower than turbo mode and offer up an even faster clock over all 6 cores than turbo mode would.

However, I'm a little unfamiliar with overclocking on these newer platforms. Would cool and quiet mode still work to idle the cores with this type of overclock?

You could disable turbo mode and try overclocking to 3.7ghz. I've seen it to be rather common to hit those speeds at stock voltages, so you may have a good chance. Worse case scenario is you may have to add a small amount of voltage to stabilize it at that speed. Also, Cool-n-Quiet would work to lower clock speeds/voltages when the load isn't required.

Michail
Premium
join:2000-08-02
Boynton Beach, FL
kudos:1

said by Smoove910:

You could disable turbo mode and try overclocking to 3.7ghz. I've seen it to be rather common to hit those speeds at stock voltages, so you may have a good chance. Worse case scenario is you may have to add a small amount of voltage to stabilize it at that speed. Also, Cool-n-Quiet would work to lower clock speeds/voltages when the load isn't required.

That is my plan. It should make for an interesting experiment this weekend. I'm going to log temps before and after to see how it goes.

Another plan might be to leave turbo on and run an overclock that can hit 4 Ghz in turbo mode. I'll need to research that option a bit more.

Oh, the MB is a ASUS M5A97, »www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···13131767