appreciate any thoughts

celeritypc
For Lucky Best Wash, Use Mr. Sparkle
Premium Member
join:2004-05-15
Caldwell, NJ

celeritypc

Premium Member

Honestly, you are the best arbiter of what is right for you. Compare channel lineups, see who has what channels you are interested in, check out internet and phone options if you want and finally, look at who will give you the best deal. You will have to call each one and "negotiate" price. Sometimes just calling Comcast and saying "Fios" will get you a good deal. I am sure Verizon will react the same way when you mention Comcast has a good deal for you.
Os
join:2011-01-26
US

Os to Slamin

to Slamin
Do you download or stream a lot of content online?

Do you want the best HD picture quality possible?

Do you subscribe to premium movie channels, and consider those very important?

If none of these 3 are important to you, then it's a toss-up and price is probably the main decider at that point. FiOS wins on all 3 above.
voipnpots
join:2011-10-13
USA

voipnpots

I heard that FiOS' main advantage is actually the upload speed. Both Comcast and FiOS have great download speed. And as far as premium movie channels, how exactly does FiOS win there?

The picture quality is also another advantage of FiOS. So if FiOS is available in your area, you can look into that. If for whatever reason FiOS doesn't work out for you, Comcast is also a great option.
Os
join:2011-01-26
US

Os

Because FiOS has 40 premium movie channels in HD, Comcast at best has about half that, and it's dropping in every market because they're removing them for other HD channels. In the Mid-Atlantic, Comcast has no more than 5.

Yes, FiOS does have an upload advantage, but they have a download advantage as well because FiOS won't threaten to shut your internet off after 250GB.
voipnpots
USA

voipnpots

Ok - also, the lack of a data cap for FiOS could change at any time. I remember when AT&T U-verse did not have a data cap, but it was eventually implemented. If FiOS were to ever expand as much as Comcast, they could easily implement data caps to control their huge customer base.

A few other things I heard about FiOS are:

You have to have an extra (paid) set top box in every room to get service. Comcast offers free standard-definition DTAs to receive digital signals for people who don't want to pay an extra fee.

With FiOS, is it true that you have to pay for the electricity wasted from your fiber box (or whatever you call it) on the side of your home?

Also, Comcast has PowerBoost which gives you more bang for your buck as far as downloads go.

FiOS is the better technology but I just wanted to bring up some ideas I had for the thread starter so he/she knows as much as possible about each service.

mikedz4
join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV

mikedz4

rumor has it fios is done expanding for at least a year or two.
Just read the news about buffalo and I think Baltimore crying foul because they aren't getting fios.

Steely
I rise when the sun goes down
Premium Member
join:2000-10-15
Princeton Junction, NJ

Steely to Slamin

Premium Member

to Slamin
Where are you located and what are your likes/dislikes about Comcast? What's important to you and what are your priorities? Cost? Sports? HD? VOD? Movies? Premium Channels? Upload speeds? Download speeds? Customer service? More info would help.
mahermusic
TRUMP LOST LOL
join:2001-07-06

mahermusic to Slamin

to Slamin
We were supposed to be getting FIOS in our development shortly, as they've just about finished laying all their lines underground, so I started researching between it, and what I've got now (Comcast).

FIOS came out way more expensive in the end, as they nickel and dime you for a lot of things, including HD, cable cards and their boxes. Even if you just want a digital adapter on an upstairs guest bedroom TV, something which is free (two of them, actually) with Comcast, it's an additional cost with FIOS.

So, we'll be staying with Comcast. YMMV.

SeattleMatt
Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
join:2001-12-28
Seattle, WA

SeattleMatt

Premium Member

said by mahermusic:

FIOS came out way more expensive in the end, as they nickel and dime you for a lot of things, including HD, cable cards and their boxes. Even if you just want a digital adapter on an upstairs guest bedroom TV, something which is free (two of them, actually) with Comcast, it's an additional cost with FIOS.

"Including HD" - care to expand? I don't pay anything more to have HD with FIOS TV.

"Cable Cards" - are $3.99/mo for Tivo's, etc. I believe Comcast is similar.

"STB's" - yes, you don't get free digital adapters (they did for awhile when they removed analog stations 3 years before Comcast started doing it), but they do offer STB bundles, which give significant discounts when you have 3 or more boxes in the home.

Not being a fanboy - but want to give relevant information.
voipnpots
USA

voipnpots

quote:
Same here! It's easy to sound like a fanboy when you are trying to give all sides of the story that haven't been mentioned. lol
xrobertcmx
Premium Member
join:2001-06-18
White Plains, MD

xrobertcmx to voipnpots

Premium Member

to voipnpots
Not necessarily true. I have not tried it myself, but I understand from friends with MythTV setups that this is only to get encrypted channels.

Powerboost was ok when I had Comcast, but they simply couldn't deliver the regular speeds so the extra few megabits didn't make much of a difference. FIOS has been consistent in delivering the advertised speeds. (NOTE: Our county is a former Adelphia market that is in serious need of upgrade, Comcast has been doing this but it is a painful experience for customers.)

I have the FIOS Extreme HD package with 30/30 internet. For set top boxes, the Multi-room HD DVR and a regular HD box in the bedroom. We went this route because of stability in my area, but also connection speed and price (Currently $117 a month total). I did look at going back to Comcast at the last contract renewal but it would have cost $40 a month more to have much slower internet and no multiroom DVR. Also to get the price they asked I would have had to sign up for their phone service and I'm happy with my VOIP provider.

Picture quality is the best, when we moved from Comcast to DirecTV I thought that was night and day, the move to FIOS put DirecTV to shame. Internet is typically about 30/29 and Comcast doesn't even offer anything close to that where I live and last I checked (July). Price here for Comcast was $160 (does not include tax or fees), and required phone vs. $117 (includes tax) to get Verizon without Phone.

From a reliability stand point, in three years of service it has gone out once for non-weather related reasons. As for the box out back using electricity, I never noticed it on the bill. But that explains why when the power goes out, the net drops. I have the router, voip adapter, and phone on an old ups...I have to ask Verizon about this. I was looking at it the last time the power dropped (1x or 2x a year) and it seems linked to the big battery they attached to our inside wall, but as far as I can tell that is only for the phone line we don't have. When we had Comcast internet this setup kept the phones working.
mahermusic
TRUMP LOST LOL
join:2001-07-06

mahermusic to SeattleMatt

to SeattleMatt
said by SeattleMatt:

said by mahermusic:

"Including HD" - care to expand? I don't pay anything more to have HD with FIOS TV.

"Cable Cards" - are $3.99/mo for Tivo's, etc. I believe Comcast is similar.

"STB's" - yes, you don't get free digital adapters (they did for awhile when they removed analog stations 3 years before Comcast started doing it), but they do offer STB bundles, which give significant discounts when you have 3 or more boxes in the home.

I believe there was some kind of charge for FIOS HD a while back. If they did away with it, that's a plus...

but...

With Comcast, I'm using two cable cards in one TiVo. (Series 3.... the only one that needs two cards), and Comcast doesn't charge me anything for them. FIOS would. I even receive a discount because I'm not using a Comcast STB and remote.

Also, as you say, I'd be paying for the digital adapters as well, which are free with Comcast. Bundles won't work, as I would have to add STBs, which would defeat the purpose of having my own TiVo, and would, again, drive up the monthly costs.

Don't get me wrong, if the end cost result was cheaper than Comcast, then I'd switch when it's available. For me, however, it wouldn't make any sense switching to FIOS and paying more. YMMV.

RoKmAn0
join:2000-09-09
East Elmhurst, NY

RoKmAn0 to Slamin

to Slamin
I don't know much about Xfinity (finity???) but I will tell you this:
Here in NYC, I am paying $149.99 for 150/65 speeds + TV with ALL premiums and a phone line. Have FiOS for about ~15 months. Not a single downtime. PQ? It took less than a ms to realize the night and day difference between Time Warner and FiOS.

IMO, cable is no match, at least in NYC.
rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

rody_44 to mahermusic

Premium Member

to mahermusic
I also have both available and had the same experience. Fios was just more money at the end. NYC gets better rates than the rest of the world so it really doesnt matter what you get in NYC unless you live there. Bottom line in my eyes is what the end result bill is and on that end comcast wins here.
Than again comcast always supplies advertised speeds here and if that wasnt the case i would consider switching. I also keep in mind that YMMV but im not so sure most of the people complaining about not getting full speed actually had the service since doxsis 3 was introduced. Most speed test history do indeed suggest comcast delivers what they advertise. But you as the op should know if thats the case or not.