SysOp

join:2001-04-18
Douglasville, GA
Reviews:
·MetroPCS

3 edits

VoLTE

Voice over LTE essentially is voip.

The carriers FEAR becoming just a WISP. If you could choose from any VoIP provider, they become just a dumb pipe.

I took advantage of the deal T-Mobile has out right now to attract new activations. Pre-paid monthly 4G $30 5gb plan. Comes with 100 voice and unlimited SMS/MMS. After that it's ten cents a minute.

Combine that with Google Voice + Sipdroid + pbxes.org for free VoIP. For personal use it works ok on 3G, good on 4G and great on WiFi.

Looking at VOIP.MS as a long term provider since GV lacks native sip support and codec choices. The GV sip work around adds latency and at best is experimental. It really is cool, since it's free.

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium
join:2003-07-20
Jamestown, NC
kudos:12

said by SysOp:

Combine that with Google Voice + Sipdroid + pbxes.org for free VoIP. For personal use it works ok on 3G, good on 4G and great on WiFi.

Hey, thanks for this tip. I have it up and running on my Bionic.

What are the limitations on inbound/outbound calling?

sapo
Cruising Down Memory Lane
Premium
join:2002-09-16
Sacramento, CA
kudos:1
reply to SysOp

I use voip.ms with sipdroid. Works well and is really powerful. Only thing GV does better is the voicemail if you like visual voicemail.

openbox9
Premium
join:2004-01-26
Germany
kudos:2
reply to Matt3

How is pbxes.org? I've read some not so good stuff in the past. I've got GrooVeIP on my DX. It seems to work ok for what it's doing.

SysOp

Douglasville, GA
reply to Matt3

Monthly Bandwidth Usage
2000 minutes

SysOp

Douglasville, GA
reply to sapo

Thanks for the feedback. GV is working but I feel the latency could be better if I pony up for the paid service from voip.ms

SysOp

Douglasville, GA
reply to openbox9

My free account on pbxes.org is stable. Using GV as a trunk has its limitations since GV is not intended to be used this way!

Paladin
Sage of the light

join:2001-08-17
Chester, IL
reply to SysOp

That isn't going to happen IMO. From the early testing of carrier side VoLTE, there's going to be significantly better QoS on the carrier side. Sure, OOT VoIP solutions like Skype might save some money on minutes but in the end it will not have the battery life or QoS that carrier side VoLTE boosted by HD Voice will offer. The real issue the carriers face is meeting demand on the data side. That's going to be a challenge, one that will require a lot more spectrum acquisition.