ultra tv

what is ultra tv and when is coming to wow

Body Count

join:2010-09-11
Columbus, OH

you talking about 4k x 2k resolutions?

Jeremy W

join:2010-01-21

No, he's referring to WOW's name (»www.trademarkia.com/wow-ultra-tv···036.html) for the new Arris Whole Home system they're rolling out later this year. Here's what it's all about, from a provider in Canada that has already rolled it out: »www.shaw.ca/Gateway/

xavier101

join:2003-08-03
Chicago, IL
reply to xavier101

cool thanks i hope it is good

OlSaintNick

join:2011-07-31
Dekalb, IL
reply to Jeremy W

How are you so certain that it is the Arris Whole Home system?

Jeremy W

join:2010-01-21

said by OlSaintNick:

Well, we know that WOW is rolling out a Whole Home DVR system, and we know that system is coming from Arris. Since Arris only has one such system on the market, it's pretty simple to make the connection.

gene32

join:2004-05-03
Reynoldsburg, OH

said by Jeremy W:

said by OlSaintNick:

Well, we know that WOW is rolling out a Whole Home DVR system, and we know that system is coming from Arris. Since Arris only has one such system on the market, it's pretty simple to make the connection.

Another clue was that WOW is deploying a whole house DVR that is being used by a Canadian ISP. So like Jeremy W points out, once you add up all the clues, it's not to difficult to figure it out. Somebody mentioned that it's going to be the Cisco whole house system but I seriously doubt that.

sgc

join:2011-11-02
Naperville, IL

said by gene32:

Somebody mentioned that it's going to be the Cisco whole house system but I seriously doubt that.

Cisco cable equipment is garbage.

xavier101

join:2003-08-03
Chicago, IL

cisco dvr equipment is better than the other one i used to have with wow

sgc

Naperville, IL

said by xavier101:

cisco dvr equipment is better than the other one i used to have with wow

I have a Cisco HD DVR and a Cisco HD box and they are garbage. VOD loads SOO slowly (more than 60 seconds per page), crashing (not anymore), bulky, and still running the horrifying SARA interface. They are probably the same ones with WOW! (8642HDC and 4642HDC) so I do not see why you think they are better. SA equipment is garbage too, but it isn't quite as bad as the new Cisco equipment due to the VOD issues that the Cisco has.

pistonsfan82

join:2012-01-09
Clinton Township, MI

This Whole home DVR looks exactly like Moxi's DVR interface. I was told by the wow rep that it was going to be really cool with an HD menu and the Menu does look nice. He also mentioned that it would be able to record 6 shows. Directv just now is coming out with a DVR box that will allow you to record 5 shows but not sure if all of them can be in HD. This will do wow good again if they redeem themselves by coming out with this whole home DVR system. Their current guide is horrible.

Body Count

Columbus, OH

said by pistonsfan82:

This Whole home DVR looks exactly like Moxi's DVR interface. I was told by the wow rep that it was going to be really cool with an HD menu and the Menu does look nice. He also mentioned that it would be able to record 6 shows. Directv just now is coming out with a DVR box that will allow you to record 5 shows but not sure if all of them can be in HD. This will do wow good again if they redeem themselves by coming out with this whole home DVR system. Their current guide is horrible.

Most likely it will only be able to record 6 shows in standard def. Just like AT&T's service can only record 4 shows in standard def or 2 shows in HD... but they tell everyone that it can record 4 shows at once, leaving out the standard def part.

backeast

@wideopenwest.com

The new arris whole home dvr can recored 6 hd shows at once. Its not like uverse where there are only a certain amount of streams available to the house and we know att's hd takes 2 streams of the usually four streams allowed.

Badonkadonk
Premium
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL
kudos:5

I'd heard from a rep that it can do 6, but won't have all of them turned on right away.

pargoff

join:2006-07-05
Canton, MI

yes but the question is WHEN will it be available?

Badonkadonk
Premium
Naperville, IL

The guy told me sometime in February.

hudiat

join:2011-10-13
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·WOW Internet and..

My recent tech told me any time now. He said he has it at home, and while there was some issues at first, the past month or so it has worked flawless. He doesn't have an exact ETA, other than they seem to work how they want and should be starting publicly soon.

Body Count

Columbus, OH
reply to xavier101

I wonder how much more this will cost over the standard cable box. I'm already paying $115 a month. Anything more than that, it will be better to switch to Dish or DirectTV.

I don't want to pay $150 a month for cable.

hudiat

join:2011-10-13

If my last few months of issues have taught me anything, it is that WOW does excel at one thing. Just giving really generous discounts from a simple call.

bsipe9

join:2007-03-24
Berea, OH
reply to Body Count

said by Body Count:

I wonder how much more this will cost over the standard cable box. I'm already paying $115 a month. Anything more than that, it will be better to switch to Dish or DirectTV.

I don't want to pay $150 a month for cable.

I asked an employee about the new whole-house system (he has had it for a few months already and likes it). He said it was going to be a couple bucks more than if you already had two HD DVRs. That sounds like around $28-30 a month (2 x $13 + ??). And I'm guessing that's for two tv's connected, so figure another $7-10 or so for each additional TV.

That'll all add up really quick, but unfortunately for me, my only choices are WoW, TW, and Satellite. Comparable package to mine on TW is $20 more a month the first six months to a year then I'd have to call every year and hassle to keep it there. Both satellite co's are even worse for my needs.

Dish doesn't even offer some of the necessary channels for my family (no Sprout?) but even if they did it would be $70 a month for JUST the TV portion of my needs for the first year then it jumps up to $111 after that... again, just for TV.

DirectTv is only $60 for the first 12 months, but again jumps to $106 for just TV.

I have a HD DVR, digital receiver and two other TV's connected, 15 Mbps internet and basic phone for less than DirectTV alone. So WoW is pretty much the only option for me.

pistonsfan82

Clinton Township, MI
reply to Badonkadonk

Goober, Did the rep give a reason why all the tuners wouldn't be turned on right away? that doesn't make any sense to say it will have 6 tuners but not have them all active and ready to go? My Contract with Directv is up in 6 months but I'll be leaving before that. If WOW says 6 shows at once then they should have all the tuners on because otherwise they'll make a lot of people angry if say only 2 are turned on.

Badonkadonk
Premium
Naperville, IL
Reviews:
·Dish Network

No, he didn't give a reason. I didn't really think to ask him why at the time, since there was a lot of information coming my way at the time.

Interestingly, the WOW rep at the door didn't say anything to me about the MR-DVR costing more than a couple of HD-DVRs. It makes sense though, given the utility (for those who need it).
--
Support the Occupy Wall Street movement--try to kill old people! »tinyurl.com/7b6ktmy

pistonsfan82

Clinton Township, MI
reply to bsipe9

Are you serious?? 28-30 bucks for a whole home DVR? Directv's Whole home is 7.00 for the box and 3.00 for the service so 10 bucks. Why would Wow charge that much for theirs? Wow good luck try to sell that? 30 bucks for a whole home DVR? My only guess is that you won't need regular HD boxes for other tv's that are HD in the house I hope. That's insane and I hope that Rep that gave you that information had false information. I only have a choice between DTV and WOW as I won't go back to Comcast. DTV will have lower prices for the first 12 months then everything jumps to 30 bucks more for your package and that's just TV. Even Comcast isn't 28-30 bucks for a whole home DVR.

mix

join:2002-03-19
Utica, MI

1 recommendation

reply to xavier101

I believe prices when I read them in print.

pistonsfan82

Clinton Township, MI

True, if it ended up being 37 bucks for the whole home dvr and HD box then forget it. Hopefully wow is competitive on their prices. DTV just came out with a whole home that can record up to 5 shows but I refuse to get it because if I do then I'm stuck in another 2 year contract with them and I won't do it. DTV is great the first year but after the first year, they treat you poorly and know that you're locked in for another year so they won't offer you squat to stay. Hopefully it's released in FEB, let's hope for no more delays.

Body Count

Columbus, OH
reply to xavier101

Well I have one HD DVR and one HD receiver. So I pay a total of $20 a month in rental fees.

Hopefully it wont go much over that.

sgc

Naperville, IL
reply to xavier101

Remember: the whole home DVR has not even been officially announced yet and there is no official word on pricing. The technicians would not know just yet and couldn't tell you if they did. The cost is uncertain until they really announce it.

As for the tuners, I highly doubt they knew what they were talking about saying not all activated at once; there is no reason they would not.

Badonkadonk
Premium
Naperville, IL

I never believe what those guys say anyway. A good amount of stuff the guy was telling me seemed like BS to me--a bunch of pie in the sky stuff.

bsipe9

join:2007-03-24
Berea, OH
reply to xavier101

For what it's worth, the guy I talked to wasn't a technician and is an acquaintance of mine (friend of friend). Doesn't mean he's absolutely correct, but he wasn't feeding me a line of bull either.

I took it as the $28 or so would replace everything you'd currently have on at least two TVs.

As for DTV only charging $10 for theirs, that's not exactly correct. That doesn't inlcude the rental fee for the 2nd receiver. So now you are at $16. Then, if you have other TVs like I do, to get any signal with satellite I'd need a box, so that's an additional $12 (those last two wouldn't be connected to the DVR either). So it's either $16 if you only have two TV's in the whole house or $6 more per TV ($28 in my case now, much more in the coming years as my kids will eventually be old enough for a TV in their rooms). Plus, considering their programming is $20-60 more a month...

timf

Plymouth, MI

While there's no real way to know what WOW plans to charge, you can look at BendBroadband to have a good guess. They are the only current provider of the Arris system in the US that I am aware of. Their charge is $17 for the base unit and $6 per TV. Keeping in mind the base unit itself does not connect to a TV, this would be $29 a month for a system with 2 TVs. BendBroadband also has a separate $4 per account DVR charge which WOW does not have.

Assuming you are currently renting a cable modem for $5/mo and had two HD DVRs at $13 ea/mo, you would be paying $31/mo for equipment. The technicians I have spoken to have mentioned it being comparable to a little less than the current charge, so $28/mo for a 2 TV system would be entirely believable.

DIRECTV is $20/mo on top of programming for the advanced services package, which is required if you have HD DVRs, plus $6 per TV beyond the first one. Also, any time you add new equipment it locks you in for 2 years. Prior to moving I had been with DIRECTV for years, but the prospect of this new DVR lead me to go with WOW. Now I am paying less for TV + 30/3 internet than I was paying for TV alone before. I just hope the Arris solution is as good as it sounds.