Tell me more x
, there is a new speed test available. Give it a try, leave feedback!
dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

mogamer

join:2011-04-20
Royal Oak, MI
reply to Body Count

Re: ultra tv

said by Body Count:

said by ghettocowboy :

not sure if anybody has noticed, but for MI on the additional services & equipment page it is showing ultra tv equipment.

ultra tv equipment package- $15
additional ultra tv media player- $15

Ultra TV Equipment Pkg (Gateway + 2 Media Players) $25.00
Additional Media Players $15.00

So do the Media Players also double as a dvr? Because $15 for an extra one is pretty damn pricey. If it is only a client box, then it shouldn't be anywhere near that price. I would say, $7 tops.

So I have one HD/DVR and one HD Receiver. Paying $20 total for both. So upgrading to Ultra TV will cost me $5.00 more a month.. plus any additional fees which I'm sure they will tack on.

For someone with three or more hdtv's connected to cable, a htpc with xbox 360's for extenders looks better all the time. And you could subscribe to either Netflix or Hulu+ to make up for the lack of on demand content.

sgc

join:2011-11-02
Naperville, IL
reply to xavier101
I called this morning (I wasn't available for a call during the day) and got it set up. They could not keep my discount, but waived installation and I cut out a box and added a DTA . My new bill is $155 plus tax for Ultra TV Signature, 15 Mbps internet, and Advanced Phone. The bundle did not change; just its name. They are installing it on Saturday morning and they will take 2-4 hours. They also mentioned the Tomato game as being the favorite part of training.

pcvtre

join:2012-01-27
Park Ridge, IL
sgc, can you tell us what you think of it after it gets installed?

sgc

Naperville, IL

1 edit
Of course.

As a side note, I checked billing and it says my package is Basic Cable. I'll call and check later (I can't take calls during the day).

ghettocowboy

@wideopenwest.com
what number did you call? i tried the 866 4 wow now, but they said they couldnt tell me anything because it was just a soft launch and they were calling people on the waiting list

prospector00

join:2011-02-24
Mount Prospect, IL
reply to xavier101
Called this afternoon to get set up and was told the upgrades are not ready and I could be put on a waiting list. Kind of disappointing because I had e-mailed Wow_Dan to get put on the waiting list but they didn't seem to have a record of that. Don't understand how my friend from Naperville a few posts up got an appointment to have it installed on Saturday when I'm just up the road in Mount Prospect and it is not ready to be rolled out.

xavier101

join:2003-08-03
Chicago, IL
i got my installation for tommorow at 4 pm i will let you all know how it goes i just call wow this morning and told them i called from wow to get ultra tv they switch me over to another department

boop

@wideopenwest.com
Did any of you guys who already set it up get more details on it? I'm waiting to see really anything specific on it before making an appointment and the person I just talked to on the phone said her training for the new service isn't until tomorrow so she didn't know much.

sgc

Naperville, IL
said by boop :

Did any of you guys who already set it up get more details on it? I'm waiting to see really anything specific on it before making an appointment and the person I just talked to on the phone said her training for the new service isn't until tomorrow so she didn't know much.

Look on the WOW! website under Customer Care.

hudiat

join:2011-10-13
»content.wowway.com/docum ··· _QRG.pdf

boop

@wideopenwest.com
reply to sgc
said by sgc:

said by boop :

Look on the WOW! website under Customer Care.

Thank you sir. Seeing that it is officially what everyone expected it to be I'll be signing up to get switched over to it ASAP.

baess

join:2011-01-28
reply to xavier101
Still reading through things, but what exactly does this mean for those of use who have 64 bit OS?

"What are the minimum system requirements for WOW! Home Networking?
For Windows based computers the minimum system requirement is Windows XP SP2 or higher. For Macintosh computers the minimum system requirement is Mac OS 10.4 or higher. Windows 64-bit operating systems are not currently supported."

garnuts

join:2012-02-03
Columbus, OH
reply to xavier101
»www.wowway.com/ultratv-support/

More info on this page.

I don't see anything about PIP ? I don't know if I'm ready to give up PIP in the current HD DVR.

sgc

Naperville, IL
reply to baess
said by baess:

Still reading through things, but what exactly does this mean for those of use who have 64 bit OS?

"What are the minimum system requirements for WOW! Home Networking?
For Windows based computers the minimum system requirement is Windows XP SP2 or higher. For Macintosh computers the minimum system requirement is Mac OS 10.4 or higher. Windows 64-bit operating systems are not currently supported."

I have a 64-bit OS now (and have for quite some time), and there is no problem (of course, I have a regular modem).

I asked the CSR (I had to verify my package) and they told me that the 64-bit notice is outdated and they have never encountered anyone where 64-bit was the cause of any issue. The Internet Quick Reference guide was from a long time ago, and the update was only formatting IIRC. I would not worry about it.

sgc

Naperville, IL
reply to garnuts
said by garnuts:

»www.wowway.com/ultratv-support/

More info on this page.

I don't see anything about PIP ? I don't know if I'm ready to give up PIP in the current HD DVR.

PiP as in two shows; one on the main screen and one in the floating window? No, that is not supported. It's a waste of tuners in the whole-home setup, so I don't see a reason resource-wise to add it.

It has PiP as in the Mini TV in the corner while using all the menus, and even most of the games.

I will say that with this setup, you have a news ticker at the bottom (for sports, news, and stocks) as well as the multi-tuner setup. If you watch one channel and switch to another, I am reasonably certain that you can switch between them without losing the buffer.

samlii

join:2001-01-29
Des Plaines, IL
reply to xavier101
So I see there is a new single function remote. Is there any information about setting up a multi remote to access the new media players? I would rather not have to change my remotes again. Then again maybe its time to really step up to the Harmony One.

sgc

Naperville, IL
What remote do you have? I can try to find it for you. All Logitech Harmony models work with the Media Player boxes.

samlii

join:2001-01-29
Des Plaines, IL
Actually if there were a way to use the 1056's (the current DVR remote) that would be perfect since I already have it set up for everything else. I also have a couple of JP1'd One For All's that I'm sure I could program.

sgc

Naperville, IL
said by samlii:

Actually if there were a way to use the 1056's (the current DVR remote) that would be perfect since I already have it set up for everything else. I also have a couple of JP1'd One For All's that I'm sure I could program.

You could not use the current DVR remote to control the Media Players since it does not have the right buttons. It is missing most of the buttons you use to control the MP boxes.

Do you happen to have the model number for your One For All?

Joe12345678

join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL
reply to gene32
and up there you can buy the box or rent to own

»www.shaw.ca/Gateway/Hardware/

Joe12345678

join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL
reply to bsipe9
DTV has alot channels that wow does not have like.

CSN CHI + HD
NFL network SD / HD
ESPN ALT HD / ESPN 2 ALT HD
NBC sports Channel alt HD
MLB Network SD / HD
NBA TV SD / HD
BIG TEN HD Over flows.
HD NET
HD NET movies
Event PPV HD
Event PPV HD 2
more Premium HD

sgc

Naperville, IL
reply to Joe12345678
said by Joe12345678:

and up there you can buy the box or rent to own

»www.shaw.ca/Gateway/Hardware/

And rent-to-own for $29 a month for 36 months (that's for 4 "portals" as they call them). They actually raised their price by $1/month for their Media Player boxes. That would be great for the price.

I really did not expect WOW! to go so far with the pricing and really overcharge their customers. That is really unlike WOW! in every way and it greatly disappoints me that they would increase the price so much. If I add 4 MP boxes (including the 2 packaged) I would pay $170/month plus tax. Those are approaching absurd levels of pricing. Still not as bad as Comcast, but that is a LOT of money. It should actually be cheaper than the current equipment, or the same price.

Oh well, I'll try to make that my last (sort of :P) pricing rant. Even though it is overpriced (no matter how great the features are).
Expand your moderator at work

WOW_Dan
Premium
join:2011-03-24
Naperville, IL
kudos:40
reply to prospector00

Re: ultra tv

said by prospector00:

Called this afternoon to get set up and was told the upgrades are not ready and I could be put on a waiting list. Kind of disappointing because I had e-mailed Wow_Dan to get put on the waiting list but they didn't seem to have a record of that. Don't understand how my friend from Naperville a few posts up got an appointment to have it installed on Saturday when I'm just up the road in Mount Prospect and it is not ready to be rolled out.

You are on the waiting list. The waiting list also has somewhere around 800 customers, or maybe more on it by now. The initial roll out of this will be slow, and they will be making their way down the list as they're able to.
--
Dan Della Terza
WOW! Internet, Cable & Phone
Network Operations Center

prospector00

join:2011-02-24
Mount Prospect, IL
said by WOW_Dan:

said by prospector00:

You are on the waiting list. The waiting list also has somewhere around 800 customers, or maybe more on it by now. The initial roll out of this will be slow, and they will be making their way down the list as they're able to.

Sounds good Dan, I will be patient! Thanks.

sgc

Naperville, IL
said by prospector00:

Sounds good Dan, I will be patient! Thanks.

We all have been patient :P LOL.

bsipe9

join:2007-03-24
Berea, OH
reply to sgc
said by sgc:

And rent-to-own for $29 a month for 36 months (that's for 4 "portals" as they call them). They actually raised their price by $1/month for their Media Player boxes. That would be great for the price.

I really did not expect WOW! to go so far with the pricing and really overcharge their customers. That is really unlike WOW! in every way and it greatly disappoints me that they would increase the price so much. If I add 4 MP boxes (including the 2 packaged) I would pay $170/month plus tax. Those are approaching absurd levels of pricing. Still not as bad as Comcast, but that is a LOT of money. It should actually be cheaper than the current equipment, or the same price.

Oh well, I'll try to make that my last (sort of :P) pricing rant. Even though it is overpriced (no matter how great the features are).

I think the $25 rental for the gateway and two "portals" is perfectly reasonable considering what they were charging for their DVR's and such. That said, $15 for every extra portal is just absurd. I had thoughts of having a third TV (my study) connected but I just cannot rationalize spending $180 a year just for that one TV to have DVR access. I'm reasonably certain that if these boxes were for sale they would cost less than that.

SGC's $29 a month to own example for Shaw also included the gateway. That's $1044 over three years (you can also just buy all five pieces from the start for $854 which works out to $23 a month for 3 years) , then you own all five pieces outright. With WoW and the same equipment, you'd have paid $1980 after three years... and keep on paying $55 a month forever. It's too bad we can't just buy the boxes from Shaw and activate them on WOW.

I've always considered WOW a budget friendly cable provider. Kind of the reason I've liked and defended them for 10 years. These rental charges seem to be setting a bad precedent. I'm fearing that more is on the horizon.

mogamer

join:2011-04-20
Royal Oak, MI
reply to Joe12345678
Is this Arris set-up confirmed for WOW? Because, to be quite honest, a 500gb HDD for a WHDVR isn't very much. Especially when compared to WHDVR solutions satellite, Tivo and HTPC's are offering.

sgc

Naperville, IL
reply to xavier101
I would say that based on sign-up and adoption of these devices, they may lower the price in time. Shaw did the same thing; when they launched, it was much more expensive. It is not economical in any way for WOW! to offer a rent-to-own deal with customers for these devices. Additionally, once you own equipment, they no longer give you technical support. I do hope that WOW! will consider lowering the price in the future. It is probably due to the initial cost involved in deploying and purchasing the new technology needed for the Arris Whole Home Solution.

Badonkadonk
Premium
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Dish Network
reply to mogamer
said by mogamer:

Is this Arris set-up confirmed for WOW? Because, to be quite honest, a 500gb HDD for a WHDVR isn't very much. Especially when compared to WHDVR solutions satellite, Tivo and HTPC's are offering.

You can expand storage through eSATA. HDD space is a non-issue.