uniqs

KoRnGtL15
Premium Member
join:2007-01-04
Grants Pass, OR

KoRnGtL15

Premium Member

MJ+ setup with router?

Are you able to set it up with out installing software or any thing? Basically just plug it into the router and go? Or is their some automated system when first using it if going that route is possible for setup? And what about keeping the same number. Free or a charge? I currently have a couple cell phones and have phone service through my cable isp. So looking into MJ+.

bitstopjoe
join:2009-08-02
Pen Argyl, PA

bitstopjoe

No you have to plug it into your USB port the very first time ( and later to do updates) so you can register the unit and get a phone number and yes it does install some software on your PC. After the setup is done and you have your number you then can plug it into your router...
There is a charge to port your existing number to the Plus, I believe it is $20...

KoRnGtL15
Premium Member
join:2007-01-04
Grants Pass, OR

KoRnGtL15

Premium Member

Thanks!
billy_kidd
join:2004-08-10
Chicago, IL

billy_kidd to bitstopjoe

to bitstopjoe
There is also a $10/year charge to keep your number ported. You won't see that anywhere, unless you ask a chat agent

bitstopjoe
Pen Argyl, PA

bitstopjoe

No one knows for sure yet if that is so. If you ask five agents you get five different answers. Since no one has has their number ported over yet for a year, one can not be sure if, in fact, there is a yearly charge. This is why I didnt mention it. I only supplied the info I knew was correct.

PortoLet
@wideopenwest.com

PortoLet

Anon

I asked 3 agents, they all put me on hold for a looonnnngggg time and came back saying YES there is a $10/annual fee.

bitstopjoe
Pen Argyl, PA

bitstopjoe

And I know people in another forum who were told there is no annual fee but MJ chat support on more than one occasion. So as I said until it hits one year for someone who has ported their number we can not know for sure. Which is the point I was trying to make.

Andrzej44
@md.us

Andrzej44 to KoRnGtL15

Anon

to KoRnGtL15
Be careful when buying MagicJack Plus. They might send you a faulty gadget that may not work with the router as was in my case. It turned out that the power adapter they provided was not working. Nevertheless, they would not provide replacement if you do not pay additional $10 for shipping. Can you imagine that? They send you a malfunctioning equipment and than they want to squeeze out more money from you for replacement. Their customer service is the worst in the world. Yesterday, I wasted an hour to "chat" with them (that is the only way you can "talk" with them) for nothing. The only thing that interests them is money. I am going to explore other options when my current subscription to MJ expires. And I'll never buy MagicJack again.