join:2009-04-08
Baltimore, MD

1 recommendation

Marcus Carr to Sunny

to Sunny

DOSCIS 3 Rollout Complete?

Comcast 'Completes' Docsis 3.0 Rollout

January 5, 2012 | Jeff Baumgartner

Comcast Corp. (Nasdaq: CMCSA, CMCSK) has wrapped up its initial deployment of Docsis 3.0, the platform cable operators are tapping into to deliver speed bursts of 100Mbit/s or more while also forming the foundation of an IP video platform.

The rollout is "completed," Comcast CFO and Vice Chairman Michael Angelakis told the audience at Citigroup investor's conference on Thursday in San Francisco. It's unclear if he meant that 100 percent of the MSO's footprint is now truly D3-ready, or if there are still some small pockets that haven't made the leap to wideband.

The National Cable & Telecommunications Association (NCTA) estimated last fall that U.S. cable operators would have D3 deployed to 77 percent of the nation's households by the end of 2011. Comcast alone passes 52.38 million homes and businesses. (See The State of Docsis 3.0.)

Comcast has rolled out D3 at a steady pace ever since it debuted wideband services in April 2008 in Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minn., and its highest-end cable modem speed tiers currently tops out at 105Mbit/s downstream. Comcast has not revealed how many of its 17.81 million high-speed Internet customers subscribe to a D3 tier. Comcast also sells wideband data services to business customers. (See Comcast Enters the Wideband Era .)

While big speeds have grabbed most of the Docsis 3.0 headlines in recent years as MSOs grapple with fiber-to-the-home competition, the technology is also expected to help underpin cable's move to IP video. CableLabs , for example, has been working on ways to optimize D3 for video, including improvements in the way that IP multicast works in the wideband environment so one video stream can be received by multiple destinations -- akin to the way switched digital video (SDV) handles linear video streams in the QAM video world today. (See Docsis 3.0 Tackles Linear IP Video.)

It looks like most of Comcast's markets should have access to spectrum that can be applied toward Docsis 3.0 channel-bonding or toward capacity for more HDTV channels and video-on-demand streams. Angelakis said the deployment of Project Cavalry, Comcast's big analog reclamation initiative, is "pretty much complete." (See Comcast's $1B Bandwidth Plan .)

Comcast has already deployed millions of standard-definition Digital Terminal Adapter (DTA) devices to spur that project along, and evidence is mounting that Comcast is getting close to deploying a new class of DTA that can support hi-def video signals. (See Comcast HD-DTAs Reach the FCC.)

— Jeff Baumgartner, Site Editor, Light Reading Cable

[url]»www.lightreading.com/doc ··· ws[/url]

RR Conductor
Ridin' the rails
Premium Member
join:2002-04-02
Redwood Valley, CA
ARRIS SB6183
Netgear R7000

RR Conductor

Premium Member

Interesting, I know they have done most of our county (Mendocino) here in NorCal, but from what I understand the work hasn't finished yet (ie.I have D3 in Redwood Valley, but they still have my Blast! Tier provisioned at 17/2, and I can't get any of the new Extreme Tiers yet).

"It's unclear if he meant that 100 percent of the MSO's footprint is now truly D3-ready, or if there are still some small pockets that haven't made the leap to wideband." That about sums it up.

Sunny
Runs from Clowns

join:2001-08-19

Sunny to Marcus Carr

to Marcus Carr
There was a link to that article on BBR Thursday Links section yesterday and Karl Bode just published a front page article here ---> »Comcast Says DOCSIS 3.0 Upgrades Complete [62] comments
JuggernautJC
join:2009-06-26
Colchester, VT

1 edit

JuggernautJC

DOCSIS 3 Available in Colchester, VT

Four bonded downstream channels here in Burlington, VT. Still one upstream.

Sunny
Runs from Clowns

join:2001-08-19

Sunny

Re: DOSCIS 3 Rollout Complete?

That would indicate your area is at least working on upgrading the physical network, but doesn't tell us if DOCSIS tiers are available.

What do you see here ---> What products are available in your area?
JuggernautJC
join:2009-06-26
Colchester, VT

JuggernautJC

Products Available:

Performance @ 20/4
Blast @ 30/6

Shows Extreme 105 is available, but it's said that for the last six months, my downstream light turned blue just a couple days ago, at the same time they removed everything but the basic analog channels.