uniqs
share rss forum feed

JeffMD

join:2002-08-16
Edgewater, FL
kudos:1

2 edits
reply to JeffMD

Re: It's that time of the year again.. packet loss week 1.

ahh I just noticed it didn't show up in the log.. I am pretty sure its the dhcp error.

ok games over, and here is what I did. I verified the issue was still a problem behind the netgear (new one btw.. just got the wnd3400 last week, old dlink would randomly stop traffics for several minutes at a time). I then direct linked the pc to the modem and rand my trace routes. Nothing changed, and had wow disconnect once while flying around.

Here is one of my interesting trace routes to a WoW server I had;

1 * 6 ms 6 ms 10.120.160.1
2 6 ms 7 ms 7 ms 72.31.194.142
3 20 ms 23 ms 10 ms 71.44.61.94
4 15 ms 24 ms 22 ms 97.69.194.0
5 * 15 ms 11 ms 72.31.194.8
6 37 ms * 34 ms 4.79.116.137
7 39 ms 35 ms 88 ms 4.69.137.146
8 44 ms * 53 ms 4.69.148.209
9 44 ms 41 ms * 4.69.138.109
10 48 ms 46 ms 47 ms 192.205.36.253
11 101 ms 101 ms 104 ms 12.122.81.26
12 100 ms 95 ms 96 ms 12.122.1.45
13 94 ms 95 ms 92 ms 12.122.5.185
14 * 96 ms 99 ms 12.122.1.5
15 99 ms 99 ms 103 ms 12.122.28.157
16 102 ms 103 ms 103 ms 12.122.1.210
17 120 ms 99 ms 100 ms 12.122.28.178
18 102 ms 97 ms 100 ms 12.122.129.241
19 102 ms 105 ms 99 ms 12.122.254.238
20 100 ms 100 ms 99 ms 12.129.193.254

Its a good trace route cause #1 it shows that it most likely isnt any specific router, but my ping to that router being dropped along the way. Also #2, this is the SECOND trace route I had that dropped a ping to 10.120.160.1.
the first one happened when I was behind the netgear, so it looked like this;

1 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms 192.168.1.1
2 * 9 ms 7 ms 10.120.160.1

edit: I really wanted to rule out the desktop and a bad ethernet port so I did the trace route on my laptop (wifi, so it was behind the netgear) and came up with the same results. random stars along the same trace.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL
kudos:151
reply to JeffMD
You are misreading that TR. Please do me a favor and just run without the router for a day or so. I'll be running some tests in the meantime. Thanks...

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

1 edit
reply to JeffMD
Rather than leave you with a "you're misreading your TR" here is a nice primer that will help you learn how to interpret these things. Understand that you will always be missing half the equation because in most cases you won't have the ability to check the return path from a specific server so even with lots of practice you will still be guessing because you only have the outbound trace.

»networking.ringofsaturn.com/IP/t···edoc.php

And an even better guide...

»www.nanog.org/meetings/nanog45/p···_N45.pdf

--
~All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident. - Einstein~

JeffMD

Edgewater, FL
reply to JeffMD
Thanks for the info... it did clear up to me how tracert actually works... although my assumption of what might be wrong wasn't. Because of the scattered stars I am pretty sure the packetloss is happening on a router close to me.. and may even be 10.120.160.1.

Unfortunately my whole family uses the wifi so its hard to keep it unplugged for a few days, what is it you specifically need from my desktop that my router can't provide? I have left it so that the device responds to pings and the like. That is probably more then my fire walled windows will send back to you.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
said by JeffMD:

Thanks for the info... it did clear up to me how tracert actually works... although my assumption of what might be wrong wasn't. Because of the scattered stars I am pretty sure the packetloss is happening on a router close to me.. and may even be 10.120.160.1.

Unfortunately my whole family uses the wifi so its hard to keep it unplugged for a few days, what is it you specifically need from my desktop that my router can't provide? I have left it so that the device responds to pings and the like. That is probably more then my fire walled windows will send back to you.

Apparently you didn't understand the info I posted as that was not loss. Anyway...at this point there isn't much else I can do for you until you have time to properly troubleshoot this (since all else has failed). Let me know when your status changes.
--
~All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident. - Einstein~

kayakxtreme

join:2012-01-23
Fortville, IN

2 edits
Click for full size
Click for full size
Hi guys. Not trying to horn in on your problem but I am having the same problem when I play WoW and Starwars TOR. I find that the problem is random from day to day and can be frustrating at times. I go days without the problem then bam! constant disconnects. I have found that I get packet loss when this is happening and high latency issues. It does not correspond to any time of day just random. The modem has been replaced once due to a problem with the wireless intergrated in the modem. My speeds are right on and when the install was done I had all new lines in the house. I have contacted Customer care and a tech was sent out. Tech found voltage backfeed from node and said that was the problem then left. I measured the voltage on the line at the TV and found 50vac!!! Tech came back out and reworked ground after I installed a new ground rod. No voltage but the problem still persists. I have learnded to live with the problem but would like to get an answer as my local office no longer helps me. (Tells me there is nothing wrong) I understand there position but still wondering. Thanks in advance for the help!

BTW I have the lightning internet. The down speed is lower then normal but it is lunch time and we are having a pretty bad storm right now so I will forgive you for now LOL! Thanks again.

JeffMD

Edgewater, FL
reply to BHNtechXpert
said by BHNtechXpert:

Apparently you didn't understand the info I posted as that was not loss. Anyway...at this point there isn't much else I can do for you until you have time to properly troubleshoot this (since all else has failed). Let me know when your status changes.

Well I know its not lag, which leaves packet loss as the only reason page request get lost and disconnections happen in games.

Now like I asked, what do you need my desktop connected for when its still gonna firewall anything you send to it? What is it you need to "properly troubleshoot" ?

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to kayakxtreme
said by kayakxtreme:

Hi guys. Not trying to horn in on your problem but I am having the same problem when I play WoW and Starwars TOR. I find that the problem is random from day to day and can be frustrating at times. I go days without the problem then bam! constant disconnects. I have found that I get packet loss when this is happening and high latency issues. It does not correspond to any time of day just random. The modem has been replaced once due to a problem with the wireless intergrated in the modem. My speeds are right on and when the install was done I had all new lines in the house. I have contacted Customer care and a tech was sent out. Tech found voltage backfeed from node and said that was the problem then left. I measured the voltage on the line at the TV and found 50vac!!! Tech came back out and reworked ground after I installed a new ground rod. No voltage but the problem still persists. I have learnded to live with the problem but would like to get an answer as my local office no longer helps me. (Tells me there is nothing wrong) I understand there position but still wondering. Thanks in advance for the help!

BTW I have the lightning internet. The down speed is lower then normal but it is lunch time and we are having a pretty bad storm right now so I will forgive you for now LOL! Thanks again.

Do me a favor and create a new thread and we'll work on it together.
--

JeffMD

Edgewater, FL
reply to JeffMD
I'm not saying its packet loss... but its packet loss. ^^

JeffMD

Edgewater, FL
reply to JeffMD
Not sure if you passed the above info along, but as of noon today everything is green.

JeffMD

Edgewater, FL

1 edit
reply to JeffMD
Well THAT was short lived. Started getting packet loss again an hour ago or so... did a full icmp scan from dslreports this time.

»www.screenshots.cc/original/54650/z7ske

(Dsl fails at images this big I guess. Image host isnt much help either, above link is the full size image)

UtopiA

@rr.com
reply to JeffMD
Having the same symptoms as everyone else, coincidentally I also noticed it while playing SW:TOR.

Getting what appear to be latency spikes every 30 seconds or so, then after 10~15 minutes of that, total disconnect. It's happening in any kind of 'streaming' service like online gaming and VOIP.

I'm in Citrus County, Inverness area.
It started tonight around 7 PM and still continues now @ 1:30 AM.

I'm not registered around here, but just letting you know you aren't alone.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
said by UtopiA :

Having the same symptoms as everyone else, coincidentally I also noticed it while playing SW:TOR.

Getting what appear to be latency spikes every 30 seconds or so, then after 10~15 minutes of that, total disconnect. It's happening in any kind of 'streaming' service like online gaming and VOIP.

I'm in Citrus County, Inverness area.
It started tonight around 7 PM and still continues now @ 1:30 AM.

I'm not registered around here, but just letting you know you aren't alone.

But that doesn't help people here nor does it help yourself. Post your concern in its own thread so it can be addressed. Don't be a meetoo and then just dash off into the sunset because it serves no purpose and your problem likely has nothing do with his (in fact I know it doesn't because I've worked with JeffMD for some time now).
--