uniqs
share rss forum feed

prg65

join:2007-03-14
Milan, MI

[HN7000S] Suspending Service

Long time lurker, infrequent poster.
Been with Direcway/Hughes for 7+ years.
Anyway, WISP provider in my area now has a tower within range.
Speed up to 4 MB/s, unlimited access for $50. I'm thinking about trying this out.

My question, anybody ever tried suspending their Hughes service ?
Is there a time limit as to how long I can suspend ?

Thanks

tobicat
Premium
join:2005-04-18
Tombstone, AZ

Not sure on the time limit 90 days or more for sure. It should not be any problem the RVer's do it all the time. I would not tell them I was trying another service. Going on vaction what ever.

If you do tell them you are trying another service they will probably offer a discount for 90 days or more to keep you.
--
7000S SatMex 5 1050, Dlink wirless

laserfan

join:2005-01-14
Texas

1 edit
reply to prg65

Oops duplicate post.

laserfan

Texas
reply to prg65

Try out the WISP and if you like it call HN and tell them you're inclined to cancel--they will try to keep you.

You should consider keeping HN both for backup (the WISP *WILL* go down some times) and for the FAP-free download period--I doubt your "unlimited access" will truly be that i.e. without restrictions.

tobicat
Premium
join:2005-04-18
Tombstone, AZ
reply to prg65

Unlimited access is a trickey word. It means that you can stay connected 24/7. It may or may not mean that you have unlimited downloads.
--
7000S SatMex 5 1050, Dlink wirless

prg65

Milan, MI
reply to prg65

Thanks for the feedback.
I'm going to give it a try.

My wording was incorrect. According to their web site and the customer service rep I talked to: "No usage caps"
as shown here: »www.tc3net.com/v2wireless.php

One More Too

join:2010-09-09
Galena, IL
reply to prg65

I was in a similar situation a little over a year ago when a WISP connection became available in my area.

Since I was immediately confident that I was going to be happy with the new WISP connection, I just called to cancel my Hughes service. When I made the call, I was offered the opportunity to suspend the Hughes service. So, I know that you can do so, but I don't recall the length of time that you could suspend your service. When I turned down the offer to suspend my service, I was offered either 3 or 6 months (I can't remember which) of totally free service and a $30 per month reduction in my bill thereafter if I would reconsider and keep the Hughes service active. My guess is that you are likely to be offered similar options. When you consider advertising costs and the cost of subsidizing equipment and installation, the cost to Hughes of attracting a new customer is likely somewhere near $1000 per customer, and, once they have a customer on their rolls and if that customer is a customer whose account is in good standing, they are going to do everything possible to try to keep that customer.

prg65

Milan, MI

What did you end up doing ?
How did the WISP turn out ??

One More Too

Galena, IL

said by prg65:

What did you end up doing ?
How did the WISP turn out ??

I just canceled the Hughes service. The WISP has worked out great. When I first got the service, the fastest plan they had was 2 megabit down/2 megabit up service for $38 per month. More recently, I've switched to a 4 megabit down/2 megabit up plan that has become available for $58 per month. I get 90% or better of advertised speeds 24/7. Pings generally run in the 30-50 millisecond range, and there are no download limits. As much as anything, what I appreciate is not being slowed to a crawl with https and ftp connections like with the satellite. Another bonus has been the ability to switch my phone service to VoIP, which gives me more features and service for 1/2 of what I had been paying the local telephone company for the most basic service that I could get. Also, the service has been quite reliable. Storms, snow, rain, fog, clouds, etc. don't seem to diminish the quality of service in the least. In over a year of service, there have been a handful of short outages that have lasted from 5-10 minutes and one longer outage that resulted from the equipment on the tower being fried by a lightning strike.

laserfan

Texas
reply to One More Too

said by One More Too:

I was offered either 3 or 6 months (I can't remember which) of totally free service and a $30 per month reduction in my bill thereafter if I would reconsider and keep the Hughes service active.

Which is pretty darn cheap for a good backup ISP with unlimited downloads for 5/hrs day!

One More Too

Galena, IL

said by laserfan:

said by One More Too:

I was offered either 3 or 6 months (I can't remember which) of totally free service and a $30 per month reduction in my bill thereafter if I would reconsider and keep the Hughes service active.

Which is pretty darn cheap for a good backup ISP with unlimited downloads for 5/hrs day!

I should make sure that I point out that the $30/month reduction offer was off of the $120/month Elite plan that I had. My guess would be that, had I had the basic $60/month plan, the cost reduction offered would have been less than $30.

chances14

join:2010-03-03
Michigan

i recently cancelled my service as I got a local WISP now. I was on the $60 home plan and they offered me $20 off my bill for the next 6 months. Also, if you decide to cancel, you can reactivate the service within 45 days for $25.

Joe

@ise-erp.com
reply to prg65

You can suspend service for up to 6 months during a rolling 12 month period.

i.e. If you suspend service from Jan 1 to Jun 30, then activate service from Jul 1 to Aug 30, you cannot suspend service again until Jan 1 because you have already suspended service for 6 months during the last 12 months.