spc
uniqs

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

DKS to me1212

to me1212

Re: [OC] safest OC for a 2500k, on a Asrock p67 extreme4 gen 3?

said by me1212:

Ok, thanks for the info and links guys! IS there any guide made specifically for the 2500k, or 2600k since they are so close in how they work, for ocing? I've googled some and some say for 4.5 no more than 1.2V is needed, some say use no less than 1.3. some say leave the auto voltage on some say off. Microcenter has a nice over clocking warranty, so I hear, but i'd rather not have to use it and just do it right the first time.

I use autovoltage on my 2600K and run 4945 GHz without a problem.
Chrno
join:2003-12-11

Chrno

1.53vcore for a 32nm processor is extremely high. Intel states of maximum of 1.5vcore for their 40nm processors. However, they used the same number for their 32nm offerings which leads me to believe the actual safe vcore for the 32nm SKUs should be much lower than 1.5v If you run your processor at this type of voltage over a sustain period of time be prepare for degradation or damage to the processor.
18172841 (banned)
join:2001-10-06
Lagrangeville, NY

18172841 (banned)

It's the same if you run the CPU to the thermal limit, but lol he does not believe it.

OP stock voltage varies by the chip, so we can not tell you.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

Owen Sound, ON

DKS

said by 18172841:

It's the same if you run the CPU to the thermal limit, but lol he does not believe it.

OP stock voltage varies by the chip, so we can not tell you.

Nope. Not proved yet. And no one has presented evidence, just "chicken little" fear.
18172841 (banned)
join:2001-10-06
Lagrangeville, NY

18172841 (banned)

The evidence is in not (as it would seem) so common sense and...

I gave you charts and everything... also less common sense, as temp goes up, resistance goes up too, you need more pressure (voltage) to overcome the increased resistance, and that increases electromigration, that decreases the time before the CPU fails.

for more info
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El ··· igration

To use Black's equation, the component is put through high temperature operating life (HTOL) testing. The component's expected life span under real conditions is extrapolated from data gathered during the testing

So to speed up killing the chip, they run it hot. What more could you need.

Now I am sure you will say... but intel but the throttle at a safe temp blah blah.

Intel also speced the chip to run what 3.7ghz @ like 1.24 volts? One can assume the throttle is nothing more than a fail safe for a fan failure (after all it would suck for a server to go down, or a chip to fry cause a $5 fan died). One time throttling won't kill the chip, extended runs at full temp will hurt.

Oh ya your car likely has a fuel shut off over the redline, I dare you to drive it at that RPM non stop bumping the fuel shut off.

Note I am not responsible for any damage you do by running the car at red line.

Run it as you like, but stop telling other people that super high volts are okay. hell head over to »www.overclock.net and ask them about your voltage and temps 90% of those guys will say too hot... and that whole site is about overclocking and pushing.

OP your choice, 99% of people unless doing a suicide run (yep that is what it's called) will not over volt that much and over temp that much. At least not for 24/7 usage.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

Owen Sound, ON

DKS

said by 18172841:

So to speed up killing the chip, they run it hot. What more could you need.

Now I am sure you will say... but intel but the throttle at a safe temp blah blah.

I don't have to Intel does it.

Intel also speced the chip to run what 3.7ghz @ like 1.24 volts? One can assume the throttle is nothing more than a fail safe for a fan failure (after all it would suck for a server to go down, or a chip to fry cause a $5 fan died). One time throttling won't kill the chip, extended runs at full temp will hurt.

Assume nothing. Evidence of such an occurrence?

Oh ya your car likely has a fuel shut off over the redline, I dare you to drive it at that RPM non stop bumping the fuel shut off.

Not necessarily. A rev limiter is not a throttle cut off. As I have said elsewhere, your automotive comparison fails. That's one of the reasons Intel has SpeedStep. It throttles back based on usage.

Run it as you like, but stop telling other people that super high volts are okay. hell head over to »www.overclock.net and ask them about your voltage and temps 90% of those guys will say too hot... and that whole site is about overclocking and pushing.

I can run all day at 4.950 GHz and 1.5 volts. It's no "suicide run". The computer will handle it just fine. That's one of the reasons a sealed CPU water cooler works in this situation. It keeps temps under control. As I have posted in other threads, temps are well below the critical limits.
me1212
join:2008-11-20
Lees Summit, MO

me1212 to Chrno

to Chrno
1.5v is the max intel says wont rip apart your cpu(well something to that effect), 1.35v is what they recomend you limit it to, or so i've read. hence why I try to keep mine under 1.35V.