spc
Search similar:

uniqs

mtn hermit
@aol.com

mtn hermit

Anon

Which is better, Wild Blue or AT&T via tethering

I live in a mountainous area and currently on dial up with limited home internet options (ie no DSL or cable any where near here). I'm looking for advice on what would be a better choice for home internet, Wild Blue satellite or via a cell phone hotspot with AT&T (the only cell service available). I'm getting 3G on my cell phone with "ok" signal strength.
Thanks for any advice.

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief
join:2001-07-05
Dawson Springs, KY

grohgreg

Can't speak for AT&T, but I tried Verizon's equivalent. I too have a great cell phone connection, I can even see the tower light from my window at night. But when I tried their 3G internet service, it absolutely sucked. Not compared to dial-up mind you, that's compared to my HughesNet connection. The idea was to replace the satellite internet connection with a 3G connection. I went back to my HughesNet connection in a flash (this is not a Hughes endorsement, it's just an example of satellite versus 3G).

Given that experience, I suggest you thoroughly investigate their policy on no-cost cancellation of the service obligation if the service doesn't meet your expectations. Make sure you can get out of your contract within a reasonable trial period - without it costing you an arm and a leg.

//greg//

mtn hermit
@aol.com

mtn hermit

Anon

Thanks for the suggestion and info. On paper, it sure looks like the cell tethering/hotspot (whatever it's called) would beat satellite for speed and the amount of data (AT&T as a 4gb plan for $45 a month), but I've learned with Verizon that what they say (or their map says) doesn't come close to reality.

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief
Dawson Springs, KY

grohgreg

These providers are pushin' the hell outa their 4G service, it's all over cable TV 24/7. But the reality is that - Verizon at least - doesn't have 4G comin' offa one single tower in the entire state of Kentucky. Odds are that you're posting from some other state, but I'm tellin' you this anyway - to reinforce the earlier recommendation that you "try before you buy" in your location.

And 3G "may" beat satellite on the upload, I saw 400-700kb (bursts) when I tested Verizon 3G service (USB modem) locally. Best my HughesNet can do is ~230kb up. But the Verizon downloads were far slower - and much more inconsistent - than satellite. Verizon gave an inconsistent and spotty 900-1400 Kb, sometimes would simply stop dead in its tracks. My HughesNet pretty regularly delivers nearly 2000kb, occasionally dipping toward 1200kb during the peak usage hours.

//greg//

DrStrangLov
@12.189.32.x

DrStrangLov

Anon

said by grohgreg:

you "try before you buy" in your location.

Towers away from major highways and located in low population areas may have no more than a T1 line connected to it.

Around here, that's the reality, via two wireless providers.
Dcdude
join:2009-12-29

Dcdude to mtn hermit

to mtn hermit
Go with the att option the ping times will be lower and you should get a d 1.5mb-6.0mb download with the upload somewhere around a meg. if you already have a cell with att download the speedtest app and run a quick speedtest and see what your speeds are like

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief
Dawson Springs, KY

grohgreg

said by Dcdude:

you should get a d 1.5mb-6.0mb download with the upload somewhere around a meg.

not with 3G dude

//greg//
Dcdude

Dcdude

i get 3-6mbs all day long on my iphone 4s running on 3g

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
»www.speedtest.net/iphone ··· 9786.png

saturn2121
@myvzw.com

saturn2121 to mtn hermit

Anon

to mtn hermit
Go with the devil you know. If At&t works good for you then there you go. There are as many people who hate satellite as those who love it, and the same goes for 3g. I have never had a problem with my Verizon 3g, but I know others that have. I know people with satellite who love it and others who thinks it's the closest thing to hell you can find. So best advice, if what you got works, keep it.

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief
Dawson Springs, KY

grohgreg to Dcdude

to Dcdude
said by Dcdude:

i get 3-6mbs all day long on my iphone 4s running on 3g

Ah, the rest of the story. Cell phone test. You just threw an apple into a discussion about oranges.

//greg//
Dcdude

Dcdude

Your comment is not valid, cell phones and data cards use the same network (as long as they are on the same carrier) and therefore get the same speed.

DrStrangLov
@12.189.32.x

DrStrangLov

Anon

said by Dcdude:

...get the same speed.

March 10, 2008
Data traffic shaping arrives on cellphones

»www.cbc.ca/news/technolo ··· ess.html
Does AT&T Wireless CEO Hint at further Traffic Limiting?
2009-10-08

»Does AT&T Wireless CEO Hint at further Traffic Limiting?

»WiMax is a joke

The Fastest Mobile Networks 2011

»www.pcmag.com/Fastest-Mo ··· rks-2011

dbirdman
MVM
join:2003-07-07
usa

dbirdman to Dcdude

MVM

to Dcdude
said by Dcdude:

Your comment is not valid, cell phones and data cards use the same network (as long as they are on the same carrier) and therefore get the same speed.

Speaking only for Verizon, I have 2 years of experience across the country (and in Alaska) that says you are wrong. I have never seen speeds the same on a Droid vs an Air Card. At the moment I am in Lancaster, CA. Speedtest thinks my IP is in San Francisco for the Droid and Phoenix for the air card. The top image is the Droid (tethered with PDANet), and the bottom is the air card:

Typically in 3G areas the Droid will outperform the air card. Yesterday I had 4G, and the air card was doing 20Mbps down while the Droid only had 15Mbps down. I have limited 4G experience - yesterday was only the second time I've had the air card in a 4G area and until a week ago I only had a 3G Droid, so I don't know if that reversed scenario will hold up.
eric1333
join:2007-02-14
Regan, ND

eric1333 to mtn hermit

to mtn hermit
Click for full size
Where I live in Huffman, TX my internet options are pretty limited, the only land based service available is Verizon DSL and the most the line here would support was a 768Kb/s downlink, I had used them for a while then thought about going with the WB satellite option but didn't like the thought of a 2yr contract in case I didn't like the service, the thought of high pings is what really turned me away, I have ended up tethering with my iPhone 4 on AT&T and have been really happy with the speed and latency, only down side is the 4GB data cap, a typical month for me is about 6-7GB. Now that the new WB bird is pretty much live satellite internet for you may be a viable option since the speeds and latency are projected to be much better.

Attached is a screen grab of what I typically get in the house with the phone, outside is a good bit better due to my house having metal siding which I'm sure has an effect on the cell signal quality.

cmjust0
@xodiax.com

cmjust0 to mtn hermit

Anon

to mtn hermit
I actually went in and spoke with an AT&T rep to see if I could get some facts on tethering with their 'elevate' device.. I can only get 3G too, and it's 'ok' at best. What the guy told me was that, with *good* 3G signal, I was looking at 1-2Mbps down, at best. And with that device, they require the 5GB data plan, which costs $50/mo. Soooo, $50/mo for 5GB at 1-2Mbps...at best.

Compare that to Exede, which offers 12Mbps to the Eastern half of the country and 5Mbps to the rest, and also offers a 7.5GB cap for the same $50.

And both have a 24mo service committment.

No brainer -- satellite is the better deal. Sucks, but it's true. May be different if we were talking 4G/LTE, but still, AT&T hits you for $10/GB regardless.. Exede's largest cap is 25GB and it's "only" $130/mo, which is half the price of AT&T..

People like to talk smack about satellite broadband caps and say "I'd just tether!"...but the reality is mobile data caps are very small, and quite pricey.. Nobody ever talks about THAT though.. :-/

dbirdman
MVM
join:2003-07-07
usa

dbirdman

MVM

said by cmjust0 :

People like to talk smack about satellite broadband caps and say "I'd just tether!"...but the reality is mobile data caps are very small, and quite pricey.. Nobody ever talks about THAT though.. :-/

A lot of us are grandfathered on unlimited accounts. Others take advantage of third-party sellers that will give you 20GB per month for the same price.

I use whatever works best where I am at any given time. At the moment that is satellite, but when I'm in a good 3G area there is no question that I move over to my tethered Droid. Of course in 4G (which I only have limited experience with) it blows everything else away.

There actually is 3G in my current location (on BLM land south of Quartzsite, AZ), but with 100K+ temporary desert residents all trying to use it at the same time it is way slower than 1XRTT.

compuguybna
join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN

compuguybna to cmjust0

to cmjust0
EXEDE also requires a $149 "activation" fee, and a $9.99 LEASE fee for the equipment.

RECALCULATE ! !
said by cmjust0 :

I actually went in and spoke with an AT&T rep to see if I could get some facts on tethering with their 'elevate' device.. I can only get 3G too, and it's 'ok' at best. What the guy told me was that, with *good* 3G signal, I was looking at 1-2Mbps down, at best. And with that device, they require the 5GB data plan, which costs $50/mo. Soooo, $50/mo for 5GB at 1-2Mbps...at best.

Compare that to Exede, which offers 12Mbps to the Eastern half of the country and 5Mbps to the rest, and also offers a 7.5GB cap for the same $50.

And both have a 24mo service committment.

No brainer -- satellite is the better deal. Sucks, but it's true. May be different if we were talking 4G/LTE, but still, AT&T hits you for $10/GB regardless.. Exede's largest cap is 25GB and it's "only" $130/mo, which is half the price of AT&T..

ReadThis
@12.213.224.x

ReadThis

Anon

said by compuguybna:

RECALCULATE ! !

Yes, recalculate: $70.00/month for 7 Gigs

AT&T hikes rates on smartphone plans

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- The mobile data our smartphones love to suck up is once again going up in price.
For tablets like Apple's iPad, customers can choose between a $15 per month plan for 250 MB, a $30 a month plan for 3 GB or a $50 a month plan for 5 GB.
AT&T said it will notify customers as they approach their data limits. It will charge a $20 overage fee for an extra 300 MB for the low-tier plans, and $10 per extra GB on the higher-tiered plans.

»money.cnn.com/2012/01/18 ··· ndex.htm

saturn2121
@myvzw.com

saturn2121 to cmjust0

Anon

to cmjust0
Well really you can't compare satellite and Mobile price wise. On my phone I carry my internet connection with me where I go. Satellite is a fixed service. It's like comparing your mobile phone to your home phone. I don't have a home phone anymore even though it was cheaper then my mobile.
But I think the $49.99 17gb down 5gb up package from Wildblue they are offering new customers now is actually pretty good. If it worked good. I'd take that over the new Excede packages.

Sircolby450
join:2005-11-26

Sircolby450

said by saturn2121 :

Well really you can't compare satellite and Mobile price wise. On my phone I carry my internet connection with me where I go. Satellite is a fixed service. It's like comparing your mobile phone to your home phone. I don't have a home phone anymore even though it was cheaper then my mobile.
But I think the $49.99 17gb down 5gb up package from Wildblue they are offering new customers now is actually pretty good. If it worked good. I'd take that over the new Excede packages.

For satellite $49.99 for 17GB is not bad at all. Unfortunately that is for new customers only and it only last for a limited time before the price goes back up to $80. Not to mention you will be stuck on the current traffic shaping system Wildblue has in place, which is atrocious.

DrStrangLov
@12.189.32.x

DrStrangLov

Anon

said by Sircolby450:

Not to mention you will be stuck on the current traffic shaping system Wildblue has in place, which is atrocious.

Atrocious - Excessively and wantonly savage or cruel; heinously wicked. M17. SOED

You have proof about ViaSat-1 (actual usage) of this 'atrocious' behavior?

Web browsing has not been an issue for me on spotbeam I use...hence, YMMV, but your generalizations do not represent all WB/ViaSat's users experiences.

Remember, "Danish queen sees no need for cell-phone/internet," and she finds it "very peaceful" to be offline.

»mdn.mainichi.jp/mdnnews/ ··· 00c.html

Sircolby450

Sircolby450

said by DrStrangLov :

said by Sircolby450:

Not to mention you will be stuck on the current traffic shaping system Wildblue has in place, which is atrocious.

Atrocious - Excessively and wantonly savage or cruel; heinously wicked. M17. SOED

You have proof about ViaSat-1 (actual usage) of this 'atrocious' behavior?

Web browsing has not been an issue for me on spotbeam I use...hence, YMMV, but your generalizations do not represent all WB/ViaSat's users experiences.

Remember, "Danish queen sees no need for cell-phone/internet," and she finds it "very peaceful" to be offline.

»mdn.mainichi.jp/mdnnews/ ··· 00c.html

I would love for you to point out anywhere in my post that I mentioned Viasat-1. I said "current traffic shaping system." Also yes their traffic shaping policy that makes pings 1200-3000+ is atrocious and no YM does not vary.

"Remember, "Danish queen sees no need for cell-phone/internet," and she finds it "very peaceful" to be offline."

That is relevant how?

DrStrangLov
@12.189.32.x

DrStrangLov

Anon

said by Sircolby450:

anywhere in my post

"you will be stuck on....which is atrocious."

That is relevant how?

How to Stop and Smell the Flowers

'Stop and smell the flowers', is a saying that is really not related to flowers at all. It is a reminder, a message, for each of us, to stop rushing, stop working late, time passes quickly. Stop and enjoy the day, the moment and the minute. Each minute that you miss, is time lost and will not return to you again.

»www.wikihow.com/Stop-and ··· -Flowers

Could one go a week without internet? YMMV...but different strokes for different folks, and all internet users do not have the same habits. In fact, typical American watches more TV than internet usage.

Sircolby450

Sircolby450

said by DrStrangLov :

"you will be stuck on....which is atrocious."

I must have a reading problem because I don't see Viasat-1 anywhere in that sentence.

If you were paying attention you would have known I was referring to the legacy plans, which do have the old traffic shaping. I was not referencing Viasat-1. I am aware that it will have a different traffic shaping policy.

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief
Dawson Springs, KY

grohgreg

Hmmm. Maybe NEWS has stumbled upon a potential new sales strategy: "Stop and Smell the Wildblue".

//greg//

Sircolby450

Sircolby450

said by grohgreg:

Hmmm. Maybe NEWS has stumbled upon a potential new sales strategy: "Stop and Smell the Wildblue".

//greg//

Lol just think of all the time you will have to "stop and smell the flowers" when you hit your entire months bandwidth cap in a week!

n1581j
@wildblue.net

n1581j to Sircolby450

Anon

to Sircolby450
Looking @ speedtest.net Wildblue results I see a couple @15MB/s. I assume Viasat.

However, personally my experience has never come close to the package advertised speeds for current Wildblue packages so I don't think I'll be doing the upgrade.

Currently:-»www.speedtest.net/result ··· 8953.png

Earlier on today was another matter entirely:

Incoming Outgoing
======== ========
Current Transfer Rate 13.5 KB/s 1.79 KB/s
Average Transfer Rate 13.5 KB/s 2.82 KB/s
Maximum Transfer Rate 191 KB/s 44.5 KB/s
Total Data Transferred 25.8 MB 5.38 MB
Since 1/21/2012 11:06:23 AM

Elapsed time: 00-32-32

and earlier still:

Incoming Outgoing
======== ========
Current Transfer Rate 85 bytes/s 0 bytes/s
Average Transfer Rate 294 bytes/s 73 bytes/s
Maximum Transfer Rate 9.16 KB/s 2.71 KB/s
Total Data Transferred 86.3 KB 21.6 KB
Since 1/21/2012 10:53:41 AM

Elapsed time: 00-05-00

On ringing Wildblue Tech, I gave up after waiting 12 minutes.

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief
Dawson Springs, KY

1 edit

grohgreg

said by n1581j :

Looking @ speedtest.net Wildblue results I see a couple @15MB/s.

I made the same bit/byte mistake a few days ago. I'm inclined to believe they were either corrupt test results, or you meant to type 15Mb/s rather than 15MB/s. Plus, not many speed test servers are configured to deal with the compression algorithms inherent to consumer satellite connections. Using an incompatible speed test site can often provide misleading results.

//greg//

DrStrangLov
@12.189.32.x

DrStrangLov to n1581j

Anon

to n1581j
said by n1581j :

Looking @ speedtest.net

FYI, in the past, WB/Hughes users used TestMy

»testmy.net

as official tester program since others may be prone to errors; as in your last test result, the ping time is most likely incorrect.

Further, these test results are shown in separate threads like this one:
»Current Status: Saturday, January 21, 2012

Its best to use a larger packet download, like 866kB or higher; and of course, not performing other activities.

Over in Hughes forum, one user notes that "The testmy.net results are interesting but goofy to the point of being laughable. Three more consecutive tests give me these results. No way can I be downloading more than a megabyte per second."

»[HN9000] Speed increase

So, be careful about speed test interpretation...for sure, these Hughes results are "fool's gold" at 10 mbps on a 1 mbps plan.
micwa
join:2009-01-13
Seminary, MS

micwa to mtn hermit

to mtn hermit
Using acceleration software can make the results higher than they really are.