share rss forum feed

OmagicQ
Posting in a thread near you

join:2003-10-23
Bakersfield, CA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Bright House

How long can I keep regular dsl service?

Is At&t eventually going to force everyone into uverse or can I keep my existing service as-is? Provided i keep paying for it of course.

I've heard that uverse gateways have a SIP ALG that can't be turned off. I have it disabled on my 2wire 2701hg-b. I use voip for phone service and it works fine. It would stop working if I could not disable the SIP ALG on a uverse gateway.
--
If I can't inform, at least I can entertain...

davidhoffman
Premium
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA

AT&T has stated that they reserve the right to stop providing regular DSL in areas where Uverse is deployed. There is the problem that Uverse is lousy in many areas and technicians in some cases have had to re-install regular DSL lines to satisfy customers. The present policy is that if you get Uverse they permanently take out your ability to get regular DSL. If something goes poorly, the service is not great, or you really liked your dual phone line system better, tough luck. They are not giving you DSL back unless they happen to be feeling generous, which is rare. If you do not order it they leave you alone. DSL is a relatively easy system for them to manage and is paid for. Uverse is a mess.

OmagicQ
Posting in a thread near you

join:2003-10-23
Bakersfield, CA
Reviews:
·Bright House

Thanks. I remember when dsl first started becoming available in my city, It wasn't available in my city for about 3 years if I remember right, and even then I got/get bottom tier service (768/384). I can get the internet-only uverse but its no faster than my current dsl.

I suspect by the time the good uverse is available here, it won't be worth getting with 100gigabit service available on cable lol.
--
If I can't inform, at least I can entertain...

daveinpoway
Premium
join:2006-07-03
Poway, CA
kudos:2
reply to davidhoffman

Does anybody know if AT&T will be providing IPv6 on regular ADSL service, or will we have to switch to U-Verse DSL to get this feature?

davidhoffman
Premium
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA

I have no reliable information on that transition to IPv6.

I suspect it will be done for the Enterprise, government or bigger business accounts first, then medium business, then small business. I understand the transition to mean that for every block of IPv6 you can assign, you can then reassign the former IPv4 addresses. It is not a 1 to 1 ratio, but every newly available IPv4 address will help the residential/consumer market. That would allow AT&T to delay having to deal with all the headaches of residential/consumer transition to IPv6. The customers with IT professionals should be capable of dealing with any problems with IPv6. The average residential customer will require a lot more handholding. And when they find out that some expensive equipment they own will not work in the far future with IPv6, they are not going to be happy. Some equipment can be upgraded to work in IPv6, but I suspect some equipment manufacturers will be happier to make it so you have to buy all new equipment. There will be a period of niceness in the transition to IPv6 and then the hard cutoffs of IPv4 will occur. How far in the future I do not know.

bbear2
Premium
join:2003-10-06
kudos:5
reply to OmagicQ

...I've heard that uverse gateways have a SIP ALG that can't be turned off. I have it disabled on my 2wire 2701hg-b. I use voip for phone service and it works fine. It would stop working if I could not disable the SIP ALG on a uverse gateway.

Have you gotten an answer to this yet? I would be pretty pissed if Uverse locked me out of the VOIP of my choice.