Mr Neutron
Impassioned Gibberish
Premium Member
join:2005-05-30
Gorham, ME

Mr Neutron

Premium Member

[request] "Life Bar" for membership?

Would it be possible for DSLR to have a "life bar" feature for members that would help them to better understand where they are at in terms of having their membership revoked?

As in: if you do something that results in a big chunk of your life bar disappearing, that's a pretty strong incentive not to do that "something" again. Maybe it's actually a bad idea; I don't know.

mod_wastrel
anonome
join:2008-03-28

mod_wastrel

Re: "Life Bar" for membership?

/:) ? Other than for spamming, is there a reason why someone ever gets "revoked"?

dandelion
MVM
join:2003-04-29
Germantown, TN

dandelion to Mr Neutron

MVM

to Mr Neutron
I think most have a good idea they are in trouble without any life bar feature and would definitely not like it showing for others though you didn't mention shown for just that member or others. I would say if someone had a particular question could ask a mod? Except for spamming I actually don't know why someone would even need that and not sure the life bar would help
Expand your moderator at work

Mr Neutron
Impassioned Gibberish
Premium Member
Gorham, ME

Mr Neutron to dandelion

Premium Member

to dandelion

Re: "Life Bar" for membership?

I think most have a good idea they are in trouble without any life bar feature

It's one thing to know that you're in some kind of trouble: it's quite another to understand the extent of the trouble that you're in. That's what I'm trying to get at here

IOW: if you get a "system" IM, how is a DSLR member to know the difference between a big no-no and a relatively innocuous one?

and would definitely not like it showing for others though you didn't mention shown for just that member or others.

Good point and to clarify: this would be something viewable only by the individual DSLR member. If the information were universally available, it might serve as "point 'n laugh" fodder.

I would say if someone had a particular question could ask a mod?

[sigh] Yes, I guess I'll have to pester a mod about the IM I received, seeing as how the site FAQ didn't say anything about it (I did try and look).

It's just that I'd prefer not to suck up a mod's time, if possible, because as bad as I might (feel) I need a question answered, someone else might need a mod's help even more. And there are a finite number of mods with a finite amount of time.

Except for spamming I actually don't know why someone would even need that and not sure the life bar would help

I agree that on the Cosmic Scale, whether or not a Life Bar is or isn't available really isn't that big of a deal. It's just that I'm keen on "indicator" type tools and getting a system IM can be at least somewhat baffling because there doesn't seem to be a way for end users to differentiate a relatively minor screw-up on their part and a major one.

So, yeah, it's no big deal either way: I just thought I would throw the suggestion out there. /shrugs

dandelion
MVM
join:2003-04-29
Germantown, TN

dandelion to Mr Neutron

MVM

to Mr Neutron
I have looked at system IM's as a teaching tool rather then a "you messed up and this is how bad" one such as needing a "life bar" This site is so large it is rare, well I know a few people.. but except for them it is hard to know every little tidbit of information. Just guessing here by the way..but I would say simply learn and go on *shrugs* or ask a mod if it bothers you, they ARE very approachable.

PeeWee
Premium Member
join:2001-10-21
Madera, CA

PeeWee to Mr Neutron

Premium Member

to Mr Neutron
Nevermind I didn't read it properly.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

AVD to Mr Neutron

Premium Member

to Mr Neutron
**object**

DSLR is not StreetFighter

Mr Neutron
Impassioned Gibberish
Premium Member
Gorham, ME

Mr Neutron

Premium Member

said by AVD:

**object**

[Sigh]

Creditboards.com has this very feature (they call it a "warning level"). No one in their right mind is going to conflate Creditboards (or DSLR, for that matter) with a game of Street Fighter.

It's no more or less than a tool to help people be aware of where they are, that's all.

AVD
Premium Member
Onion, NJ

AVD

Premium Member

said by Mr Neutron:

said by AVD:

**object**

[Sigh]

Creditboards.com has this very feature (they call it a "warning level"). No one in their right mind is going to conflate Creditboards (or DSLR, for that matter) with a game of Street Fighter.

It's no more or less than a tool to help people be aware of where they are, that's all.

noted: objection stands..

Mr Neutron
Impassioned Gibberish
Premium Member
Gorham, ME

Mr Neutron

Premium Member

said by AVD:

May I ask why it is you object so strenuously to the idea?

Try as I might, I can't imagine how it would work to anyone's detriment, but maybe you can, and I just can't see what you're seeing.

AVD
Premium Member
Onion, NJ

2 recommendations

AVD

Premium Member

said by Mr Neutron:

said by AVD:

May I ask why it is you object so strenuously to the idea?

Try as I might, I can't imagine how it would work to anyone's detriment, but maybe you can, and I just can't see what you're seeing.

its like the arguments you get when someone posts that they got a speeding ticket. If you are on the straight and narrow, you don't have a problem.

If you are an egregious violator, you will get moderated and sanctioned accordingly.

If you are a persistent pain in the mods posterior, you will be under enhanced scrutiny. If you can't figure out you are on the shit list, you really don't have the mental faculties to be posting here in the first place and there are ways to deal with that too.

Mr Neutron
Impassioned Gibberish
Premium Member
Gorham, ME

Mr Neutron

Premium Member

said by AVD:

If you can't figure out you are on the shit list, you really don't have the mental faculties to be posting here in the first place and there are ways to deal with that too.

Now I see what you're seeing; message received and understood.