spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

srtdodge05

join:2011-10-16
Dearborn, MI

Price going up again, Dont see the need to keep wow.

I just got my Jan bill and starting off with the new year I notice my bill went up again. I have the Digital TV Signature + 15Mbps Internet with my own modem. I have 2 free boxes and one HD for $7. Now my bill is almost $109 a month. What kills me is that this is with 2 free boxes and a $15 credit a month.

When I first got the service in 2009 I had the same cable package and 8mb internet, free boxes and a $20 discount for $76 a month. I know priced do change over the years. That's $10+ or so a year increase.

xiaNaix

join:2011-12-28
Saint Clair Shores, MI
No kidding. Especially since their PVR is archaic compared to what Comcast offers and the TV signal is glitching all the time. The only thing keeping me from going back to Comcast is their 250gb bandwidth cap for internet. If Comcast were to drop that, I'd go back in a heartbeat. I may just go back to CC for TV and stick with WOW for internet.

troubleagain

@wideopenwest.com
reply to srtdodge05
Click for full size
said by srtdodge05:

I just got my Jan bill and starting off with the new year I notice my bill went up again. I have the Digital TV Signature + 15Mbps Internet with my own modem. I have 2 free boxes and one HD for $7. Now my bill is almost $109 a month. What kills me is that this is with 2 free boxes and a $15 credit a month.

Something doesn't seem right. Just cable and internet? Show us the breakdown of your bill, line by line.

Digi Sig (HD) + 15 Mbps should be $95. Which I believe gives you the one box. Add in your discounts and you should be paying less. Less than me. Which means I should call and get your pricing.

srtdodge05

Dearborn, MI
Prices online are for new customers only I was told. My base package is $99.99 a month.

srtdodge05

Dearborn, MI
reply to srtdodge05
I called wowway and my discount I had ended and it shows $15 for 12 months on the bill but was not taken off the total.

Package $99.99
HD Box $7
Credit $15-

Total $91.99 plus tax which is like $4

So with the $15 credit Im getting the same price online for new customers.

troubleagain

@wideopenwest.com
said by srtdodge05:

I called wowway and my discount I had ended and it shows $15 for 12 months on the bill but was not taken off the total.

Package $99.99
HD Box $7
Credit $15-

Total $91.99 plus tax which is like $4

So with the $15 credit Im getting the same price online for new customers.

And you are getting two free boxes? If so that makes your discount quite a bit more than $15.

I meant $92 above.

Yep got to remember to renew those discounts. I have to do it pretty soon.

td854

join:2011-07-06
Lewis Center, OH
reply to srtdodge05
Does it bother anyone else that it says "With HD..." etc. HDTV has been around how long now? HDTV is just TV now pretty much, it's the norm, there's no reason it should be charged extra for or even used as a gimmick like "with free HD!" If someone doesn't have an HDTV by now then they're in the minority. Sorry but it really irks me how little things like this really stifle the innovation and progression of technology. I can't wait til quad HD comes out and gives cable companies another reason to raise their price.

slyphoxj

join:2002-06-23
Brook Park, OH
kudos:1
Reviews:
·ObiVoice
·WOW Internet and..
·magicjack.com
·Callcentric
said by td854:

Does it bother anyone else that it says "With HD..." etc. HDTV has been around how long now? HDTV is just TV now pretty much, it's the norm, there's no reason it should be charged extra for or even used as a gimmick like "with free HD!" If someone doesn't have an HDTV by now then they're in the minority. Sorry but it really irks me how little things like this really stifle the innovation and progression of technology. I can't wait til quad HD comes out and gives cable companies another reason to raise their price.

+1! Why can't WOW at least offer the Digital Value HD channels on clear QAM? Isn't Digital Value basically just the basic tier (channels below 100) plus the HD versions of a few of these channels?

Those boxes must be a huge cash cow for these cableco's...

WOW, make us happy and differentiate yourself from your competitors... step up to the plate and offer in clear QAM the HD versions of all the channels 100 and pass down the program guide info to the TV's built-in program guide viewer.

I'd love to shave $21/month off my WOW bill (I've got three of those boxes).

Big Jimmy

@wideopenwest.com
That's a GREAT idea.. except that it wouldn't work at all.

The QAM stations are available to everybody with WOW service. EVERYBODY. Including people who have the most basic stations, or internet-only. There's no way to filter out who gets what on QAM, everybody has it all, so what you're asking is that they give free TV service to everyone who has a QAM tuner and any kind of WOW service.

slyphoxj

join:2002-06-23
Brook Park, OH
kudos:1
Reviews:
·ObiVoice
·WOW Internet and..
·magicjack.com
·Callcentric
said by Big Jimmy :

That's a GREAT idea.. except that it wouldn't work at all.

The QAM stations are available to everybody with WOW service. EVERYBODY. Including people who have the most basic stations, or internet-only. There's no way to filter out who gets what on QAM, everybody has it all, so what you're asking is that they give free TV service to everyone who has a QAM tuner and any kind of WOW service.

I would think that WOW would put a trap on the line of those who have "broadcast basic" or Internet-only, phone-only or internet-and-phone-only, to filter out these QAM stations?

The last time I checked, WOW still has about 20 analog channels that haven't yet been removed... maybe these are the "broadcast basic" stations that everyone gets?

But I think it would be possible for WOW to send the HD versions of the lower 99 channels in clear QAM and the HD versions of the 300-399 channels in encrypted/scrambled QAM which require a WOW-issued CableCARD or box to see?

Big Jimmy

@wideopenwest.com
That's just it; it's impossible to put a trap on the QAM stations because they're in the same frequency band as your internet. Not to mention that they don't have any incentive to do it; why would they increase their costs that much? They'd have to buy traps, then pay their technicians to install them on all of the houses that have ANYTHING hooked up. Anyone who is still hooked up at the pole (internet customers, basic TV customers, or anyone who climbed up and hooked up the cable) get access to good HD content for $0 extra.

The only way to do what you're suggesting is to have some kind of device that they can control what service people have.. and they've already got it: the cable box.