j1349705
Premium Member
join:2006-04-15
Holly Springs, NC

j1349705 to moose47

Premium Member

to moose47

Re: [Services] Problem with self-installation

Is it possible for you to test at the NID (DEMARC)? In an apartment, it will probably be somewhere in a closet or laundry room if you have washer & dryer hookups. Apartment NIDs will look like a blank wall plate that sticks out a little from the wall, and will usually have a small telephone cable coming out of the bottom of the plate, where it will be plugged into a jack also located on the plate.

There should be some kind of label on it indicating what it is, but it may have been painted over.

First, make sure the small cable is plugged in. If it isn't, your inside wiring is isolated from the telco network.

If it is already plugged in, unplug the connector and plug the DSL modem into the jack on the NID. If it works there, you have an inside wiring issue and need to contact your land lord. If not then you will have to call AT&T.

Do not remove the cover on the NID. Some very old apartments may not have a NID.
moose47
join:2009-04-13

moose47

There is a test jack on the bottom of the plate that houses the phone jack in the kitchen that I tried with no luck. Still the dsl light just blinks. I'm hoping that points to something simple like the connection just not having been established yet by AT&T.

graysonf
MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL

graysonf

MVM

The DSL light will continue to blink until the modem is connected to an active DSLAM port.

There could be any number of reasons why this isn't so, disconnected or broken wiring anywhere between your wall jack and the DSLAM, AT&T hasn't connected your line to the DSLAM and POTS system yet, etc.

The notice on your door saying service was activated probably means that the technician verified there was sync with the DSLAM at the network interface (NID). But since he didn't come into your apartment, he couldn't check at the jack.

This is where I would concentrate my looking - between the wall jack and the NID. Chances are you do not have free access to the NID in an apartment building. Maybe the manager or superintendent can show you where that is.

Another possibility is that your wall jack is wired to the wrong pair of wires if you have more than one pair servicing the premises.

j1349705
Premium Member
join:2006-04-15
Holly Springs, NC

j1349705

Premium Member

said by graysonf:

This is where I would concentrate my looking - between the wall jack and the NID. Chances are you do not have free access to the NID in an apartment building. Maybe the manager or superintendent can show you where that is.

Generally the closest thing to a NID in an apartment is going to be a test jack often located in a closet, but in this case it was in the kitchen.

Building maintenance will probably not be able to do much as there is not always traditional NID on the building.

Like you said, the service could be could be connected the wrong pair. Something like this could be used to test the second line: »www.staples.com/GE-3-Jac ··· t_716288

At this point, though, calling AT&T is probably the best choice. They shouldn't charge since it appears that the service was not hooked up properly.

graysonf
MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL

graysonf

MVM

If there is a test jack on your premises, that is the NID.