Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

matt8911test
Premium
join:2011-11-12
Riverside, CA

[Speed Problem] Earthlink DSL Speed testing/settings/tweaking

Hi Guys, I am connected now and am turning my attention to speed tests and adjusting settings. I noticed there are FAQs but, I have not seen to many tutorials for my specific situation.

Here is the question: Are there any internet connection settings that will tune up the speed of my connection, such as Open DNS IP's or "Opt Out" DNS servers (west coast 207.69.188.171 and east coast 207.69.188.172). Are there any Firewall settings that will allow fast speeds, but also keep me secure. I am using windows XP firewall right now and am also considering a software firewall as well. (ZoneAlarm free and Comodo Internet security are options).
Also these some other program that claim to increase internet speed ie Gamebooster // www.Getfullspeed.com // other network tweaks like adjusting IE browser cache etc.

I have the Zyxel P-600 series modem (with the model number of P-660R-D1). I have other modems and routers, but I am starting with the default modem sent from EL. I want to do this as it seems faster than my 2Wire Gateway. I have a motorola 2201 modem and a Lynksys Router/modem (I think). I think the Zyxel P-600 series modem and motorola 2201 modem may be the fastest devices to use for my purposes(ie gaming streaming video etc).
The setup is fairly simple for the Zyxel P-600 series modem where I just enter my username and password. The setup page is locked with no settings to be adjusted AFAIK. It looks like it may have had bridge mode capability in the past but not now (correct??) If it does have this capability I do not know how to access it.
In the 2Wire Gateway, I have a fully configurable unit(bridge mode, DMZ zone and a hardware firewall for example). However this unit is a bit on the slow side. I am going to try the Motorola modem later.

System Specs: Gigabyte P45 based board with Intel core2Quad E8200 CPU // 4 Gigs of RAM Mushkin Performance // Western Digital Hard drive WD1600JS // EVGA geforce 6600GT video // Onboard LAN Realtek PCIe GBE family controller // Intel chipset updated to 9.2.2.1020 AFAIK(its the most current).
Thanks in advance Matt8911test (formerly Matt8911)

Irish Shark
Play Like A Champion Today
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-29
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5

Re: [Speed Problem] Earthlink DSL Speed testing/settings/tweakin

Try your best to answer the questions.

It gives us a data point as to what is going on. It will be a lot quicker than just poking in the dark.
--
"You can observe a lot by watching". Yogi Berra

matt8911test
Premium
Riverside, CA

1 edit

In trying to answer the questions myself, I find many answers with no real right answer.
On the IE8 Browser Cache size question I find many answers like this -> »social.technet.microsoft.com/For···505bf96b
Or this-> »stevesouders.com/cache.php
Where there are no recommendations given, other than the default MS answer of 50-250MB recommended. I just ran a test on PCpitstop.com. This test usually tells me that my cache is too big and that a lower value is better (or more efficient) This time it did not say to reduce the size. Its currently at 425MB in size. I ran a video from Hulu.com and it seemed to play smoothly, except when I changed the player size it did studder a bit. On the negative side I ran a flash video from another site and it ran slowly/jittery can we say yahoo.com? »news.yahoo.com/video/us-15749625···348.html
The Tweakguide says 150-300MB (or more) is a good size depending on what is watched "in browser".
On the DNS servers I see the OPT OUT page here at DSL Reports but wonder which ones to use in my situation? I notice the writer is living on the East Coast. How does his advice apply to me on the West Coast? What is the Redirecting Earthlink problem? Is this something that is not fixed by now? Will Open DNS be a better solution for me or a waste of time? Sorry if I am a bit wordy in repling.
And yes I am still on win XP SP3 I saw that the updated Operating Systems do not need tweaking right?
Thanks for all your help I will post some more tomorrow.
Matt8911test

matt8911test
Premium
Riverside, CA

2 edits

Just saw other tests that I need to complete.
1 »/tweakr/block:···a=normal
2 »/testhistory/1813541/85802
3 working
4 DSL from Earthlink(resold ATT)
5 No
6 Do not know
7 Win XP SP3
8 1.5MBPS down .5 MBPS
9 Single PC single modem
10 No to a Nat Router

Irish Shark
Premium,MVM
Las Vegas, NV

• Your speeds look OK for your connection. I would disregard the two Java tests for now.

• I don't know if you have tweaked before, but your MTUs are not equal. Try this:

Download DrTcp

Set Tcp Receive Window to 63888

Set Windows Scaling, Time Stamping, Selective Acks, Path MTU Discovery, Black Hole Detection to Default.

Leave Max Duplicate Acks and TTL Blank

Using the drop-down menu in The Doctor set your NIC’s (Ethernet adapter’s) MTU to 1492.

Save/Exit DrTcp

Reboot

Rerun the Tweak Test

Run Two Speed Tests from the two DIFFERENT cities nearest to you that are listed here: Speakeasy POPs

Also, test here »ftp://ftp1.optonline.net/pub/test64.exe

Stop it at the 30% mark and note your speed. Then cancel the download.

Post the URL for the New Tweak Test. For the TWO Speakeasy Tests, Copy and Paste the speed results from those tests and note the speed from the FTP download test.

• Your latency seems a little high. Run the LQT and post the results. Make sure that you are pingable. »/pingtest
--

matt8911test
Premium
Riverside, CA

2 edits
reply to matt8911test

OK Ran Dr TCP and rebooted then reran the Tweaktest with a link here -> »/tweakr/block:···a=normal
Ran two different tests for speed shown here -> »www.speakeasy.net/speedtest#.Tw-vh9U6GwY [.aolmail]
and here -> »www.speakeasy.net/speedtest#.Tw-zm8V2v4c [.aolmail] I had trouble with the download test (got the IE cannot display the webpage error.) Working on the rest as I speak. I had trouble with the speakeasy links cuz i sent them to Aol mail thus the extra letters in parentheses.
I also rechecked with Earthlink tech support about the advertised speed and its 1.5MBPS DN and 300kBPS UP, sorry about the mis-statements.
Update:--==--Also did some more tests that are in my history too.
Thanks for everything so far, Matt8911test

Irish Shark
Premium,MVM
Las Vegas, NV

I do not see any issues with your connection. Speeds are twice what the advertised rates are. The LQT is good. At this point, unless you have some issues that we have not addressed, I think that we are done.

For your questions:

• Changing DNS servers does not seem necessary unless you are having load issues. You can try the Open DNS servers if you want.

• Just my experience, I would stay away from ZoneAlarm. No firewall is going to give you a speed increase. In fact some will cut your speeds. If you want more speed, you will have to go up a notch to a higher speed tier.

• For internet gaming, there are some tweaks for the various games out there. I am not a gamer, so I cannot make any recommendations. Visit some game sites and try some of tweaks that they suggest.
--

matt8911test
Premium
Riverside, CA

1 edit
reply to matt8911test

Hi Shark, I asked about the Firewalls due to my setup consisting with only a modem and windows firewall. I was concerned that I may be more vulnerable than when I have a hardware firewall or a commercial firewall.
As for the speed concern and upgrading to faster speed they said that my upload speed will stay the same, only DL will increase.
Thanks for all the information so far on this modem.
I just bought a hard drive on ebay and am busy testing it with a fresh OS so sorry for the delay in posting back here. See you around in the forum maybe.
Matt8911test

Irish Shark
Premium,MVM
Las Vegas, NV

Personally I would get a wireless router for the additional protection it provides over a SW firewall. Also, if you go wireless you will be all set to go.

In your first post, you mention that you have "Other MODEMS and routers". I am not sure what you meant here. If you already have routers, just use one of them.

Usually ISPs are cheap one the UL and pretty good on the DL. There are some ISPs that have expensive tiers that provide a symmetrical line or have higher UL speeds as well as higher DL speeds.

You have DSL, is there a cable provider in your area?
--

matt8911test
Premium
Riverside, CA

Ya I have a 2wire 2701 HG-B from my ATT days, but its a bit too slow on the DLs. I was forced to use it when installing my OS on my new drive for protection. On the ISP subject I have to stick to Earthlink or pay a 100.00 termination fee. Yes the is charter cable in my area and I have used the service. I found that the service was/is popular and heavily used. I noticed my connection responsiveness improving after 10 pm when peeps went to sleep. But thats just my experience from a non expert(may have not tuned the service at the time). Matt8911test