r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium Member
join:2001-11-14
Katy, TX

r81984

Premium Member

[DIRECTV] Best Satellite TV Deal

I moved apartments and they already had a DirectTV dish here for you to use.
I have always gotten cable, but it has gone up to $80 a month and not for that many channels.
Anyways I see I can buy a receiver for like $30 used on craigslist. I dont need a DVR, I have a Win7 MCE.
I dont care about sports at all. I am looking for all the news and discovery channels and what is left of the scifi channel.
HD really does not matter much either.

The dish is a DirectTV SL3-SWM that gets 99°, 101°, 103°.
Can it be used with Dish TV?
I see DirecTV has a Choice Extra but they only cite a 2 year contract. It says normal price $65.99.

Does anyone know what are the best deals with your own equipment? and which is better DirecTV or Dish on price?

Thanks.
davidhoffman
Premium Member
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman

Premium Member

No you cannot use a DirecTV antenna with DishNetwork.

There is no reason for you to bother with buying a receiver or antenna. Basic installation, antenna, and SD receiver is provided. Buying your own equipment does not lower price of contract for programming. If you want to keep price low you will have to cancel premium channels like Starz, HBO, Encore, Showtime after 3 month free period. I never heard of anyone getting that done successfully.

DirecTV is less bad than DishNetwork. DishNetwork contract and pricing is more confusing than DirecTV in my opinion.

Get the DirecTV Protection Plan for $5.99/month or the DishNetwork Equipment Plan for $6.00 per month. I have seen entire systems destroyed by lightning be replaced at no charge to customer. Removal of damaged equipment and installation of replacement equipment at no charge. And they got upgraded new(new in box never used) equipment at no charge.

pende_tim
Premium Member
join:2004-01-04
Selbyville, DE

pende_tim

Premium Member

+1 on the DirecTv protection package. Had a fried receiver replaced, a alignment and at a temporary service address, a warped dish replaced no charge.

Yea some may argue that since I don't actually own any of the DTV equipment, I should not have to pay to begin with for the equipment but the service calls would have cost me.....

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium Member
join:2001-11-14
Katy, TX

r81984

Premium Member

Ok well I only need 1 box which I can buy for $30. I dont see the point of the service plan for me. I use MCE extenders for my other TVs.

Now what do you guys pay? Have you been able to negotiate any kind of deals over the years?
Do they have any 1 year contract deals that you know of?
I only see a two year Choice Extra- 1st year = $35/mo, 2nd year = $50/mo (prices after some kind of rebate which seems fishy)