spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Lazy Senior

@50.40.219.x

[IL] Where I can Find Mediacom Rates??

I had Mediacom Cable/Internet for a couple of years, This was 5 or 6 years ago. Mediacom was the worst experience I ever had with a company. I went to DSL as soon as it was available in my city, even tho the DSL internet speed was half of what I was getting with Mediacom. Satellite became my TV option. Both services have been very reliable.

However I find myself in need of higher internet speed. I have 3mbs DSL and want faster. Mediacom has been advertising promo rates a lot lately. I get their flyrs almost weekly. However I have searched and searched and can not find Mediacoms regular rates for TV and Internet. They apparently are not proud of their regular rates and either hide them or do not publish them on the internet.

Does Mediacom require their modems and wireless or can I buy my own? I saw they want $4 a month for wireless which is ridiculous IMO.

I want to know what the Mediacom rates are after the promos run out, Anyone know? zip=62920

UHF
All static, all day, Forever
Premium,MVM
join:2002-05-24

Hell, I'd be happy to know even the promo rates for Internet ONLY. Everything on the website is for VIP Pak. I don't need phone or TV, only broadband internet. Ideally without a contract since fiber to the home will be coming in about a year.

Lazy Senior

@50.40.219.x

The present internet Promo I am seeing is Internet at 12mbs for 19.95 a month for a year and 29.95 for the second year, then "regular rates". The "regular rates" are what I want to know. The above is a standalone offer, no VIP or gotta get TV rate. Just internet. "Normal" installation is free but it says modem rental "extra" and $4 a month for a wi-fi setup. 30 day satisfaction guarantee. It does not say what the modem rental price is. I have seen this promo on the net somewhere also.

I do not want Mediacom TV (it is horrible) compared to Dish/Directv and way overpriced. NO WAY would I ever rely on Mediacom for phone service.

After 2 years of frustrating (very frustrating) Mediacom internet in the past I am not entirely sure I want to endure this company again. However at this price and guarantee I might try it. I want to know what it will cost after the 2 year promo.

k9iua6

join:2004-05-23
Dubuque, IA
kudos:1

1 edit
reply to Lazy Senior

Every time this question comes up, I am at work and my rate sheet is at home, and then I forget to look up.

See the first reply in this thread for the approximate non-promotion rates for the various speed tiers.
»[IA] HSI Prices?
Add $15 to the stated price if internet will be your only product, as there is an administrative fee charged on the first product with Mediacom.

The user MediacomChad on this forum, one of the "good guys"
in MC customer support, will hopefully chime in with the specific prices and also tell you whether Ultra and faster is available in your specific market area.

ADDED: Modem rental is $5/month. So purchasing a cable modem makes sense if you will be subscribing longer than the number of months needed to equal the cost of your modem.

ALSO ADDED: There is an error in the price given on the post I refer you to for the 12/1 service. Cost with administrative fee is the $60-something, whereas with another package it is upper $40s.

IowaMan
Premium
join:2008-08-21
Grinnell, IA
reply to Lazy Senior

For Des Moines,
12/1 is $45.95 + $15 HSD Trap Fee
MAX 20/2 is $54.95 + above
50/5 is $94.95 + above

Lazy Senior

@50.40.219.x

What is a Trap Fee and is it recurring?

I can not understand why Mediacom does not publish rates on the internet like Dish, Directv, and the DSL companies. I guess they probably feel their rates are not noncompetitive?

It certainly gives a prospective customer an uneasy feeling, the kind you get when you go into a used car dealer. It is almost like Mediacom does want a customer to see what the prices are with all the hidden and extra fees until the service is already installed and you faint when you get the first bill. I believe I am going to pass on Mediacom Internet unless I can get firm, understandable, bottom line, out the door prices.

IowaMan
Premium
Grinnell, IA
Reviews:
·Mediacom

If you subscribe to Internet only, They will place a "trap" on your line to prevent you from receiving TV service.
Unfortunately it is a recurring fee
If you have phone OR TV or BOTH you are NOT charged the fee.

See if you can get the "Limited TV" for a promo rate (Normally $29.95) for the times that your dish may go out

WhatHappened

join:2004-08-06
Waseca, MN
kudos:2
reply to Lazy Senior

Click for full size
Regular prices attached for my area.

Lazy Senior

@50.40.219.x
reply to IowaMan

Goodness, a $15 monthly fee just so I can *not* get their TV service. Ridiculous. FWIW and contrary to Cables advertisements, the satellite dish rarely goes out and when it does it comes back on within 10 minutes or so. Contrast that with my almost weekly calls to Mediacom 6 years ago complaining that the TV/internet was down and them replying they would get a service man out in "a couple of days".

k9iua6

Dubuque, IA

3 edits

It is not a "trap fee." IowaMan is playing loose with his words. It is an administrative fee. If you have only one service with Mediacom, whether it be TV, cable, or phone, and no other services, then you are charged this administrative fee for this first service to cover billing, maintenance, and other costs associated with providing the cable line to your house. Yes, for internet-only or phone-only customers, there is a TV trap installed on your line, but that is not what the $15 fee is for.

ADDED: In the Waseca charge sheet above, the administrative fee is built into the pricing for TV and for phone it is a clearly labeled in the either/or pricing. It is broken out specifically for the internet, as the typical one-service only account holder is a internet user. I have yet to run across a phone-only customer of Mediacom, although I'm sure they do exist.

Brutus1

@ecatel.net

Think about it. That same administrative fees for billing, maintenance and other costs are there for those who have any services with Mediacom, regardless if it's one, two or three.

Basically, you are charged $15.00 extra per month for only having HSD service.

said by k9iua6:

If you have only one service with Mediacom, whether it be TV, cable, or phone, and no other services, then you are charged this administrative fee for this first service to cover billing, maintenance, and other costs associated with providing the cable line to your house. Yes, for internet-only or phone-only customers, there is a TV trap installed on your line, but that is not what the $15 fee is for.

CR_Client

join:2005-02-04
Cedar Rapids, IA

1 recommendation

said by Brutus1 :

Think about it. That same administrative fees for billing, maintenance and other costs are there for those who have any services with Mediacom, regardless if it's one, two or three.

Basically, you are charged $15.00 extra per month for only having HSD service.

Yup. It's been that way for years and years and years. MediaCom is first and foremost a cable TV provider. If you choose to use their lines for a single non-TV service, you are charged an administrative fee for doing so.

11 years ago when I moved into my house, the fee was there. Now, in 2012, the fee is still there. In the past, it was a wash anyway: pay a $10 or $15 administrative fee or pay $10/month for broadcast basic. Most people chose to just keep the broadcast basic package as a backup for locals during storm coverage if they also had satellite TV, rather than pay a fee for nothing.

Since the price of Broadcast Basic has gotten out of control in the last few years (everywhere except maybe Iowa City, Iowa), the administrative fee is now cheaper than signing up for a TV service just to avoid the fee.
--
"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence." --Albert Einstein

Lazy Senior

join:2012-01-10
Cobden, IL
Reviews:
·Mediacom
reply to Brutus1

Yes, I have thought about it. Mediacom can charge whatever they want and I can decide NOT to use Mediacom services. Whatever they call it, the customer has to pay it and it makes Internet $61 a month. Mediacom's TV service is severely lacking compared to Dish/Directv and anyone who would rely on Mediacom for Telephone service is severely lacking in common sense. IMO the only service they have to offer me is Internet and the last time I had Mediacom Internet it was great when it was working. The problem was it was extremely un-reliable in my Village. Even worse was their (very) poor customer support. Which is why I cancelled Mediacom and went to DSL, which is slower but very reliable.

I speak as an very dis-satisfied customer of Mediacom for 2 years.

MediacomChad
Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
Premium,VIP
join:2010-01-20
Gulf Breeze, FL
kudos:115
reply to Lazy Senior

If anyone has questions regarding the regular rates for any services, send me an IM and I would be happy to provide those rates for your area.

Lazy Senior

Cobden, IL
Reviews:
·Mediacom
reply to CR_Client

said by CR_Client:

said by Brutus1 :

Yup. It's been that way for years and years and years. MediaCom is first and foremost a cable TV provider. If you choose to use their lines for a single non-TV service, you are charged an administrative fee for doing so.

Think about this: I have DSL from a Telephone Company. This company is first and foremost a Telephone provider. I do not have Telephone service with this company, I only have DSL (AKA Naked DSL). I pay the SAME rate without any added bogus "Administrative Fees" as I did when I had Telephone Service. My DSL price is the same as what I was paying when I had their telephone service. NO extra fees whatsoever.

OldCableGuy

@communications.net

LazySenior I'm not sure what you're getting at? We're just providing the information there is no need to get defensive. We didn't set the fee. And for those people saying it is not a trap fee, I call BS on that. Is it there if you get television service only? NO! It's obviously a no-TV fee.

k9iua6

Dubuque, IA
reply to Lazy Senior

said by Lazy Senior:

Think about this: I have DSL from a Telephone Company. This company is first and foremost a Telephone provider. I do not have Telephone service with this company, I only have DSL (AKA Naked DSL). I pay the SAME rate without any added bogus "Administrative Fees" as I did when I had Telephone Service. My DSL price is the same as what I was paying when I had their telephone service. NO extra fees whatsoever.

Then you got lucky with a good local telephone company.

Here in Iowa, which is Qwest, now CenturyLink, for most of us, DSL costs are higher if you are only buying internet service. To get the competitive reduced rates for DSL, you have to bundle with a phone plan - a little reduction if basic phone (no features), and more of a reduction if have phone with all the features. Same type of deal as Mediacom being a TV provider first and foremost, and providing discounts (okay, OldCableGuy and IowaMan, "trap fees" if you insist) only if you are buying television service first.

It does sound like you can stick with your DSL service. You just need to become a voting stockholder so you can convince them to upgrade their equipment and service to get you higher than 3 Mbps service.

Lazy Senior

Cobden, IL
Reviews:
·Mediacom

1 recommendation

said by k9iua6:

Then you got lucky with a good local telephone company.

It does sound like you can stick with your DSL service. You just need to become a voting stockholder so you can convince them to upgrade their equipment and service to get you higher than 3 Mbps service.

Ha, I have Frontier, hardly what I would call a good local Telephone Company. Customer Service almost (but not quite) as frustrating as Mediacom.

I probably have as much chance of getting faster DSL rates as you have of getting rid of a bogus Mediacom "Administrative Fee". :>

Lazy Senior

Cobden, IL
Reviews:
·Mediacom
reply to OldCableGuy

said by OldCableGuy :

LazySenior I'm not sure what you're getting at? We're just providing the information there is no need to get defensive. We didn't set the fee. And for those people saying it is not a trap fee, I call BS on that. Is it there if you get television service only? NO! It's obviously a no-TV fee.

I do appreciate the rate info and have sent Chad a PM to get the rate in my village. It did seem to me the Mediacom "Administrative Fee" was being defended. Which is fine, if you think it is fair -pay it.

As a prospective customer of Mediacom I have to decide if their rates are fair for the service provided and this includes finding out about all hidden fees before becoming a customer.

IowaMan
Premium
Grinnell, IA
reply to k9iua6

Some of us also have Windstream,
Dry DSL from them is $40 for 3Mb, 6Mb is $45 and 12Mb is $49
Nothing else is necessary for the above pricing.

Lazy Senior

Cobden, IL
Reviews:
·Mediacom

I wish I had access to Windstream. The rates you quoted are attractive. I pay $33.95 for 3mbs DSL from Frontier. They have no other speeds except slower in my village. The service is quite reliable and I get the speed I pay for. The price is reasonable.

However, I want faster and Mediacom is the only other internet provider.

k9iua6

Dubuque, IA

Just because Windstream quotes DSL speed tiers of 3, 6, and 12 mbps doesn't mean a customer can get those speeds at their particular residence. Distance from the DSLAM will be the key, so some residents will get those speeds and some with get slower.

Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-01
IA
kudos:2
reply to Lazy Senior

I think you can get up to 12 Mbit down internet only for $19.99 for 12 months. Yes I know you don't care about promos but that's a really good deal. Just a little bit more than the "HSD Basic" fee.
--
I speak for myself, not my employer.

Lazy Senior

Cobden, IL
Reviews:
·Mediacom

said by Anonymous:

I think you can get up to 12 Mbit down internet only for $19.99 for 12 months. Yes I know you don't care about promos but that's a really good deal. Just a little bit more than the "HSD Basic" fee.

I would also have to pay the bogus (IMO) administrative fee of $15 a month which would make the promo $35 a month if I supply my own modem.

The Promo is only for 12 months and then it goes to the "regular rate" of $66 a month.

I think I am going to pass. Even though I dearly want/need faster internet I have not convinced myself I want it bad enough to endure Mediacom again.

Lazy Senior

Cobden, IL
Reviews:
·Mediacom
reply to k9iua6

said by k9iua6:

Just because Windstream quotes DSL speed tiers of 3, 6, and 12 mbps doesn't mean a customer can get those speeds at their particular residence.

You could say that about Mediacom - - - or any other Internet company.

k9iua6

Dubuque, IA

said by Lazy Senior:

said by k9iua6:

Just because Windstream quotes DSL speed tiers of 3, 6, and 12 mbps doesn't mean a customer can get those speeds at their particular residence.

You could say that about Mediacom - - - or any other Internet company.

Yep, when one reads the other forums on DSLReports, whether cable or DSL, everyone has complaints about oversold CMTSs or DSLAMS, poor customer service, slow response rates from techs, and so on. All of the providers seem to have problems, although some providers seem to have fewer problems than others. And everyone seems to be complaining about cost of getting service.

hifilistener8

join:2008-04-08
Minneapolis, MN
Reviews:
·Mediacom
reply to Lazy Senior

When I had Mediacom I was told the monthly fee was to cover basic TV even if you don't subscribe to it because they can't trap/block the lower basic channels. I found it funny, however, that once they told me that (a few years into having their Internet service) I tried to connect a television onto cable, and there was no signal/channels.

Finally during one of the many tech visits I asked about the trap and cost, and was told that the fee is a really and enticement to at least get the basic cable. I looked at it as a penalty for only having an Internet service, and simply factored it into the price.

I have had satellite for over 10 years, and have had VERY few outages due to weather. Back then I selected satellite after seeing the quality of the cable TV picture; however, with cable companies rapidly moving to digital boxes I imagine the pictures are fairly equal.

k9iua6

Dubuque, IA

said by hifilistener8:

When I had Mediacom I was told the monthly fee was to cover basic TV even if you don't subscribe to it because they can't trap/block the lower basic channels. I found it funny, however, that once they told me that (a few years into having their Internet service) I tried to connect a television onto cable, and there was no signal/channels.

The early traps that Mediacom used were porous to TV signals in several stretches of the band, but I understand they have since been installing traps that are much better at trapping TV signals.

jejones3141

join:2009-11-16
Clive, IA
reply to IowaMan

said by IowaMan:

If you subscribe to Internet only, They will place a "trap" on your line to prevent you from receiving TV service.
Unfortunately it is a recurring fee

Something just seems wrong about having to pay to NOT get something.

Lazy Senior

Cobden, IL
Reviews:
·Mediacom

1 recommendation

said by IowaMan:

Something just seems wrong about having to pay to NOT get something.

Mediacom loses potential customers because of this fee. Of course their infamous and well known "Customer Service" does not get them many new customers either.