share rss forum feed

hudiat

join:2011-10-13
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·WOW Internet and..

1 edit

Additional Concerns

Dan, I now have a supervisor coming out wed. to take a look. It was not a supervisor that came out the other day. But, here is a new concern I just discovered when taking out the trash.

»imgur.com/3CWbF

I am no electrician, but that is an out door outlet, now with both covers forced open. So my question is, how safe is that when we get a foot of snow, or that gets coated in ice? In addition, is it common practice to not say anything and just take up an outdoor outlet like that. Can I unplug it if I need to use the outlet? These questions would have been directed at the tech, if he made us aware he even did it.

In addition I call, get nowhere, I say I am switching to ATT to get the same crap service for cheaper. All of a sudden a supervisor is coming out, and I have had 0 issues since the day after the call. After that call did they discover something on your end and fix it? I just think its funny, I have issues for 3 months, then the day after I tell WOW I plan on switching, it just fixes itslef. (atleast for now)

WOW_Dan
Premium
join:2011-03-24
Naperville, IL
kudos:40
That power adapter should not be installed outdoors, you are correct. I'm not sure why the tech would have done that, but that needs to be changed. If that amp is installed correctly, the modem should not be on the amplified line though, so I'm not sure this would affect the modem, but I'm not electrician either, and I don't know what affects the weather would have on that amplifier in this situation. For the time being, I would try and cover that plug with something to keep water out of it. If you unplug it you will cut off all cable lines coming out of the amplifier unless you remove it from the lines.

Hopefully the supervisor can get this all fixed. What you might want to mention when they come, I have taken a look at all your neighbor's modems, and their TX levels seem a little low as well. Not quite as low as yours, but there could be a line issue on your neighborhood amp that's could be corrected. If they check the transmit levels at the tap, they will be able to determine this.

There are no notes on your account of any changes made since they tech was out, other than one rep noting you called in and they gave you a credit to the account. I will make contact with the supervisors in the area again and explain the situation.
--
Dan Della Terza
WOW! Internet, Cable & Phone
Network Operations Center

hudiat

Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·WOW Internet and..
Ok, I was just going to wait for the supervisor, but the outdoor plug had me concerned. Thanks for that. It just shocked me that in the cleveland area, in an area known for lake effect snow, that a tech would even consider that in January. I will just have to cover it and let the supervisor take a look.

mix

join:2002-03-19
Utica, MI
reply to hudiat
Who the hell installed that power adapter outdoors? A WOW technician did this? A head technician at that? This is a joke right?

hudiat

Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·WOW Internet and..
I wish. I don't want to give a name, but he gave me his card, and his title, was "Senior Broadband Technician". Also, he left while talking on his phone, walked out the front door talking on his phone and waved. Forget the actual service issues. At this point the "wowway" service standards they supposedly have are just thrown out the window. All the generic phone support does is offer to send a tech. Honestly, if it wasn't for Dan posting here, I would have switched providers 2 months ago. His support and helpfulness is all WOW has going for them right now in my eyes. On the executive page there is contact info, I emailed the CEO all this information, and made it very clear that Dan was the only reason I am still a WOW customer. I want to give them the benefit, with years of flawless service, but it shouldn't take Dan to come up with the idea, after the 2nd tech visit to look at neighbors. The 2nd tech should have done that, and the Senior tech sure as hell should have done that at that point.

mix

Utica, MI
You got f'ed over man. I sure hope someone at WOW who actually gives a shit about their job shows up to fix your problem. The tech who put that power adapter outside is a tumbling dick weed. Hey, maybe when it snows you will find out that outdoor outlet was on the same circuit as your sump pump. When it surely shorts and pops the circuit breaker, your basement will flood. I wouldn't even hook up temporary Christmas lights like that, let alone something that is supposed to be installed outside forever. Thanks WOW.

hudiat

Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·WOW Internet and..
You know, with the potiential for something major to go wrong because of that, you would think they would be in hurry to fix it, not just for me, but to protect themselves from a potential lawsuit. Nope, a repeating issue, with a possible potential lawsuit, and it still takes 4 days to get someone out. Called Saturday, visit is wed. But, I am no in hurry now (as I said, called saturday threatening to leave, all of a sudden no issues on sunday at all, and only one little hiccup today. TV reception is acceptable, but I would rather it be better). I am still shocked it took Dan getting involved to check the area. They keep just checking everything at the house and replacing things, but as dan said, even though the issues may not be as bad, other neighbors have signals on the lower end also.

Most importantly so far, I feel like they just keep working around the problem, instead of just fixing it. That and the outlet situation just proves up until this point I have recieved half ass service of "making it better" but not really fixing the main issue.

mix

Utica, MI
Well as we discussed in the other thread, I am pretty sure there is a line amplifier somewhere that needs to be investigated. Your neighbors with low signal levels would convince me of this even more.

hudiat

Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·WOW Internet and..
What I find the most odd, is that it has been significantly better since the call saying I was going to switch providers. You saw my ping test before. Even when it was working good, the results where nowhere near what I have been consistantly getting yesterday and today. Regradless of what really happened there, the way I come out feeling is, WOW didn't really care until I was ready to leave, I was ready to cancel service right there, all of a sudden my quality of service is this much better. It may just be an accident, or whatever, but you can't make the customer feel that way. That you don't care unless I am ready to leave, and that when you do come out, you just make the bad situation better, not actually fixing it. Again, years of flawless service and Dan's support has me giving them a chance, but wed. is it. If the supervisor leaves wed, and I don't atleast have confirmation from him that he knows what the problem is, and has an ETA, then I will leave WOW. Which sucks, because dispite these issues, they are by far the best provider in my area, and I think they now that, and that helps justify them not doing as good of a job as they could. I am not refering to the company, I am sure at the corporate level they want the best service, but on an individual tech level they probably think "oh what are they going to do, go to ATT?"

mix

Utica, MI
reply to hudiat
Not to change the subject, but how many tv's do you have hooked up that you need an amplifier?

hudiat

Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·WOW Internet and..
Only 3 TV's. 2 plugged right into an outlet (seperate outlets in seperate rooms) and 1 through the HD DVR. There is a 4th TV that just uses antenna, netflix, and hulu. Prior to all this the 4th tv was on a splitter and getting cable from the same outlet as TV3. However it worked fine, even with all clear QAM etc. However, for the sake of the situation, I removed the splitter, and now it is as described above. However if it worked before, once the situation is really fixed, I should be able to add that splitter back into the equation, as it was for like a year before this started.

I mean, I had perfect service up until october with no changes in the equipment at home, (no new TV's). Then this started, replacing all the wiring alone, and problem still persisting, right there to me indicates an issue elsewhere, not isolated to my house. But again, it was easier to tweak stuff, add stuff to make the situation better, than it was to actually just figure it out and fix it.

mix

Utica, MI
3 tv's and a cable modem, you shouldn't need an amplifier (definitely not an improperly installed one either). WOW needs to fix the signal it provides to your home so it works like before. Let us know how everything turns out.

hudiat

I will update wed, I just hope that it all works out. I don't really care what they have to do. I just want my service back to what it was a few months ago.

troubleagain

@wideopenwest.com
reply to hudiat
said by hudiat:

I mean, I had perfect service up until october with no changes in the equipment at home, (no new TV's). Then this started, replacing all the wiring alone, and problem still persisting, right there to me indicates an issue elsewhere, not isolated to my house. But again, it was easier to tweak stuff, add stuff to make the situation better, than it was to actually just figure it out and fix it.

Probably around the time they were finishing up the DOCSIS 3 transition. I'm convinced that made changes to peoples service whether they have the higher speeds or not. In your case it threw something out of wack. Like has been mentioned many times others may not notice if they just surf or watch TV.

hudiat

Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·WOW Internet and..
reply to WOW_Dan
I just got off the phone with the CEO customer advocate. Not sure if there is just the one or several people with that title. I explained the situation, mentioned dan said other neighbors on are on the lower end for signal, and he said he was getting a maintance team working on it immediately. I described the outdoor outlet situation, and he said it is absolutely unacceptable and someone else (maybe a tech, maybe a maintance guy) he didn't know who, would be out to take care of that as soon as possible. He said he was not sure if my appointment with a supervisor tomorrow will still take place. He said with him stepping in, he will stay in touch with maitenance, and maybe escalate even further, or do what needs to be done. So basically, it appears my issues are atleast locally being worked on to fully fix the issue now.

Dan, appreciate all the help, he took a look at your post about the neighbors and basically said he was shocked that given that information the techs still just hung around the house messing with stuff rather than forward it to maintance.

hudiat

Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·WOW Internet and..
Not sure if anything was done, but my transmit just jumped to the low 40's. Hope they figured something out. In addition, I am about to watch 3 hours of clear QAM HD, so lets see if that goes perfect. Right now CBS is coming in good, but it was always the most reliable anyway during the issues.

Spoke too soon, just had about a 45second to a minute stretch of HD issues. Stuttered for a bit, then went out for a few seconds, came back stuttering, and then went fine again.

hudiat

And this morning modem transmit is back to the mid 30's.