Search similar:

uniqs
dyoshida
join:2012-01-09
Nanaimo, BC

dyoshida

DIR-825 Wireless Problem

Hello everyone,

I am a new member here who has recently purchased a DIR-825 router using IPv4 and IPv6. For the 5GHz wireless connectivity of IPv4 I sometimes lose the connection. The lease time I set is 9999999 (max value). I'm using Dynamic DHCP and for the IP address of the device that loses the connection is reserved. If you have any ideas, please let me know.

Thank you for reading my post

BimmerE38FN
join:2002-09-15
Boise, ID

BimmerE38FN

What wireless modes are you using?
Try single mode N then Mixed G and N on 2.4Ghz and Single mode N on 5Ghz. Ensure your devices support 5Ghz, not all do.

What security modes are you using? For single mode N, only AES is supported. Mixed G and N on 2.4Ghz try using TPIK only then test with Auto TPIK and AES.

Ensure you are reserving IP address for devices ON the router, not on the devices them selves, just make sure they are set for Automatic or Auto Obtain.

Can visit the D-Link forum for your model router.
dyoshida
Nanaimo, BC

dyoshida

It is a mix of signals G and N, but disabled 2.4GHz. Only 5GHz is enabled. The devices support 5GHz.

I don't think my issue is the security mode or wireless modes. Perhaps firmware ? I was using 2.05NA and now just updated 2.06NA, but I did not see any update on 2.05NA that is relevant to losing a wireless connectivity on their release note. (»ftp://ftp.dlink.com/Gateway/di ··· otes.txt)

I also reserved IP address for devices on the router as well as on the devices themselves.

I just disabled "Enabled Auto Channel Scan”". From this forum someone has experienced a simillar problem (»forums.dlink.com/index.p ··· =10035.0)... but again the firmware update must have fixed it by now since when he had the problem.

BimmerE38FN
Boise, ID

BimmerE38FN to dyoshida

to dyoshida
How far away are the devices from the router? Where is the router in relation to the devices and placement in the building?

FYI, 5Ghz is impacted by building materials due to it's higher frequency, it's susceptible walls, doors, floors, building materials and such. 5Ghz is best in line of sight or maybe one wall away. I have my 825 set up for AP mode and running it at 5Ghz only with my Mac Book.

Any other Wifi in the area? I would use InSSIDer application and see.
I might also set up a manual channel instead of auto channel scan to lock in a open channel.
Set single mode N on 5Ghz too. Security should be WPA2 and AES Only to test.

I'm using v2.05.
dyoshida
Nanaimo, BC

dyoshida

It is about 10m away, but the signals broadcasted by the router have to penetrate the thick wall. That shouldn't be a problem because Linksys E4200 did the job and it worked fine. The reason why we had to switch to DIR825 was because DIR825 supports global IPv6.

Lots of Wifi signals...but again E4200 worked just fine. It never got disconnected.

BimmerE38FN
Boise, ID

BimmerE38FN to dyoshida

to dyoshida
Anything can happen regardless of different routers man. If your trying to get 5Ghz thru a think all then signal should be lesser at the receiving end however anything could effect the signal at the receiving end.

Any cordless phones, other Wifi.

Can you turn off 5Ghz and test 2.4Ghz on single mode G, then test mixed G and N and finally single mode N on 2.4Ghz and see if exhibits the same condition?

Also disable SHORT GI on each radio and any protected WiFi options.
BimmerE38FN

BimmerE38FN to dyoshida

to dyoshida
Also on the 5Ghz, were you using A and N or single mode N?
How far away is the router from the devices thru this thick wall?
dyoshida
Nanaimo, BC

dyoshida

I'm using A and N. It is again about 10 meters away. I have observed that that losing connection occurs periodically. I doubt it is due to the signal db loss by the wall. It seems to be the router itself disconnects... am I the only one experiencing this problem.. ?

BimmerE38FN
Boise, ID

BimmerE38FN to dyoshida

to dyoshida
Try N only.
Any cordless phones that run 5Ghz range?

19ft with a thick wall in between, might on on the outer fringes of signal strength to maintain.

Try single mode N. Try Single mode N at 2.4Ghz as well and see how it does.
dyoshida
Nanaimo, BC

dyoshida

Ok. Let's give a try with just N...
dyoshida

dyoshida

Ok here is the configuration I have on my router:

Disabled 2.4GHz

5GHz
Always
802.11 n only
5.745G-ch149
20MHz
visible
WPA personal
Auto (WPA or WPA2)
TKIP and AES
65535 sec

BimmerE38FN
Boise, ID

BimmerE38FN to dyoshida

to dyoshida
I would try ch 36.
Change Auto WPA or WPA2 to manual WPA or either WPA2.
Manual TPIK or AES. AES is preferred.

Make sure SHORT GI is OFF under advanced/advanced wireless.

Trying to lock down your settings instead of having the router auto them. See if we can lock it down instead.

Test 2.4Ghz Single mode N as well if you can.
dyoshida
Nanaimo, BC

dyoshida

I can't use 2.4GHz since it totally messes up other wifi connections... that's why it has been disabled.

So I unchecked SHORT GI.

On the advanced advanced wireless option I have:

5GHz,
HIGH
unchecked
checked
unchecked.

Hopefully this will work...

BimmerE38FN
Boise, ID

BimmerE38FN

Ok, keep us posted. Also change the channel and lock down WPA or WPA2 and AES.
dyoshida
Nanaimo, BC

dyoshida to BimmerE38FN

to BimmerE38FN
Ok... still there's problem. It seems to be I am not the only one...

BimmerE38FN
Boise, ID

BimmerE38FN

What FW version is currently loaded?
Seems to be your not the only one? How so?

PamelaTS
Digital Chick
join:2004-04-20
Dallas, TX
Asus RT-AC66
HTC 5G Hub

PamelaTS to dyoshida

to dyoshida
Click for full size
Click for full size
I run my DIR-825 with both 2.4 and 5ghz operating w/o issue. One bridge and the 3D smart TV are about 6 meters away w/ a cinder-block wall in-between them and the router. My new apartment is on the forth floor thus the cinder-block walls, this is how they avoid having a sprinkler system.

The xxx.xxx.xxx.11 address is on the Living Room Bridge 270M@96% Signal which has a TiVo Premier XL and a Blu-Ray HT. The xxx.xxx.xxx.72 address passes through the cinder-block wall is a TiVo Premier on another bridge (Master Bedroom) 270M@91% also on that bridge is a 3D Blu-Ray HT and this PC. The xxx.xxx.xxx.46 address is the (bedroom) Toshiba smart 3DTV. I do sometimes see it reach 243-270M.

I run my 5ghz band 11na on channel 36 width=auto wps-off wpa2-psk. In Advanced I have WMM-On, Short GI-Off and I don't recall why, but the 5ghz Becon Period is set to 144 not 100.

Before I moved here I just had a brick wall, similar results live streaming of HD and 3D HD from one DirecTV HD-DVR to another worked flawless w/o/DECA I might add (I was a whole home beta tester and grand mother'd in to whole home DVR with existing network i.e. non-deca). Forced because of roof overhang to switch to cable here and the new TiVo Premiers stream HD room to room through the Cinder-Block wall no problems.

By utilizing an app from the Android Market "WiFi Analyzer" on my Samsung Galaxy I have determined I have no 5ghz network competition. I think running on channel 149 is likely your problem as there is probably a 5.8ghz cordless phone competing with you. Try a lower channel further from the 5.8 phones.

Competition with other networks (about 14) is why my 2.4ghz only makes 20Mhz width connections. While WPS On can help make setup new devices easier, it adds vulnerability to your network. Some older devices won't work (11b) with WPS On. I still have, though rarely use anymore a Palm T|X which is an 11b device. I have one app that I have not found a suitable Android replacement for.

BimmerE38FN
Boise, ID

BimmerE38FN

Try single mode G or mixed G and N on 2.4Ghz and single mode N on 5Ghz?

Link Logger
MVM
join:2001-03-29
Calgary, AB

Link Logger to dyoshida

MVM

to dyoshida
I think the DIR-825 is quite possibly the worst router I've ever purchased and I have purchased lots of routers over the years. The DIR-825 is so bad that I often find that I plug back into my old WRT54GS running DD-WRT or Tomato to do even simple things like post messages here. I wouldn't recommend the DIR-825 to anyone that I even remotely liked or even only mildly disliked.

Any suggestions for a better D-Link router so I can renew some faith in D-Link or should they be avoided like the plague?

Blake

BimmerE38FN
Boise, ID

1 recommendation

BimmerE38FN

Care to tell us what wrong? Personally it's the 2nd best router I've ever had next to the DGL4500. I love them both.

What HW version is your 825?
What FW version is currently loaded?
What ISP do you use? DSL or Cable?

Provide us with some details and lets see if we can get it working. Most router issues are end user mis-configuration or external interference related.

Let do some trouble shooting and I bet we can turn your thinking around.

Link Logger
MVM
Calgary, AB

Link Logger

MVM

Hardware version B1
Firmware 2.06NA (apparently the latest).

ISP Provider Shaw Cable.

wifi Lan1
Wireless Band : 2.4GHz Band
Wireless Radio : Enabled
802.11 Mode : 11bgn
Channel Width : 20
Channel : 11
Wi-Fi Protected Setup : Enabled

wifi Lan2
Wireless Band : 5GHz Band
Wireless Radio : Enabled
802.11 Mode : 11na
Channel Width : 20
Channel : 40
Wi-Fi Protected Setup : Enabled

I do have a Windows Home Server so I do have some virtual servers setup (443, 3389, 4125), but otherwise this should be a pretty standard setup.

Blake

BimmerE38FN
Boise, ID

BimmerE38FN

Try single mode G or mixed G and N on 2.4 and single mode N on 5Ghz? Theres no need to broadcase A or B modes since most devices now days use G or N only.

What security mode are you using? Preferred security is WPA-Personal. WPA2/Auto TPIK and AES or AES only. Some WiFi adapters don't support AES.

Any other WiFi routers in the area? Use InSSIDer to find out.
Turn off Short GI and Extra Wireless Protection, WLAN partiton if you have it. Under Advanced/Advanced Wireless.

Link Logger
MVM
Calgary, AB

Link Logger

MVM

said by BimmerE38FN:

Try single mode G or mixed G and N on 2.4 and single mode N on 5Ghz? Theres no need to broadcase A or B modes since most devices now days use G or N only.

Change 2.4 channel to G and N and 5.0 channel to just N
said by BimmerE38FN:

What security mode are you using? Preferred security is WPA-Personal. WPA2/Auto TPIK and AES or AES only. Some WiFi adapters don't support AES.

WPA-Personal, with WPA Mode set to Auto(WPA or WPA2) and Cipher Type set to TKIP and AES.
said by BimmerE38FN:

Any other WiFi routers in the area? Use InSSIDer to find out.

Both channels are Enable Auto Channel Scan as I do have other routers in the area, so I let the 825 figure out what channel is best.
said by BimmerE38FN:

Turn off Short GI and Extra Wireless Protection, WLAN partiton if you have it. Under Advanced/Advanced Wireless.

Extra wireless protection is off, and I'll leave Short GI enabled as that is starting to scrape the bottom of the barrel.

Blake

BimmerE38FN
Boise, ID

BimmerE38FN

Use InSSIDer application to find a open channel, since you have other routers near by, I recommend changing from Auto Scan to Manual and pick a open channel for the 2.4Ghz radio. If there isn't many or any 5Ghz wifi's near by, then you can leave that radio set to Auto Scan.

I recommend turning OFF Short GI.

Keep us posted on how it goes.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
join:2005-03-14
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski to Link Logger

Premium Member

to Link Logger
Try DD-WRT, I have it on my 825, works well. Now the DAP bridge I will say is a POS, it kept knocking my Pioneer stereo receiver off the network.

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON

mozerd to Link Logger

MVM

to Link Logger
Click for full size
Blake, try the settings in the graphic above ... make changes to SSID as you need. Firmware is 2.03NA .. and I have no idea about newer firmware ... but the 2.03NA in the config I show works very nicely for some of my clients.

BimmerE38FN
Boise, ID

BimmerE38FN

I would change the 5Ghz mode from Mixed A and N to N only. If you don't have any devices using A then why broadcast it. Going to single mode will strengthen the signal as well. And again, if you don't have any devices that use or support 5Ghz at all then I would turn the 5Ghz radio OFF.

PamelaTS
Digital Chick
join:2004-04-20
Dallas, TX
Asus RT-AC66
HTC 5G Hub

2 edits

PamelaTS

Mixed Modes DO NOT broadcast anything extra, SSID, Becon nor does it take away from the N signal. What NA Mixed mode will do is if signal strength drops you stay connected! Granted if there are no other 5ghz networks this may be moot, there are some 5ghz cordless phones though. What can affect connection and does add to broadcast is WPS some devices don't work well with this on. Mixed BGN for example, B does not support WPS. Utilizing mixed modes improves probability of maintaining stable connection when other interference i.e. other networks, devices are in vicinity, It does NOT affect radiated power output!

TURN WPS AND SHORT GI!!! OFF!!! Short GI is a very brief sometimes overlooked signal and some clients WILL NOT SEE IT. Pick a channel 11 provides the best freq distance from overlapping Bluetooth devices. Note the 2.4ghz band channels overlap example 6 overlaps with 4,5,7,8. I recently moved and there were several networks on 11 so I moved to the other end my 2.4ghz devices make a fairly solid 65mb 20hz connection now, too many wireless networks for 2.4ghz 40hz to work.

If you have an android phone/device go to the market and get WiFi Analyzer (free app) it will tell you what if any other networks their SSID, channel and signal strength. This will also demonstrate how 2.4ghz channels overlap. It will also recommend a better channel. btw if your phone does dual band (my Samsung Galaxy S II does) it scans the 5ghz band also. On the Channel Graph page tap the upper left corner it will switch to 5ghz. The Time graph will show relative signal strength of all SSID's on both bands.

BimmerE38FN
Boise, ID

BimmerE38FN to dyoshida

to dyoshida
Broadcasting mixed modes do affect signal strength and range. I would turn A and B modes off if there not being used.

Use www.metageek.net for finding nearby routers that are suing up channels. Find a open one.

Link Logger
MVM
Calgary, AB

Link Logger

MVM

I had to dig my old Wifi Spy out of the bottom of my drawer, and I love MetaGeek products, but ultimately my problem with the DIR-825 has nothing to do with my wifi connection etc, but the firewall itself.

For example using the same computer, a wired connection, ISP connection etc, if using the DIR-825 I go to:

»en.video.canoe.tv/

the videos are a no go, however if I switch my connection over to my old WRT54GS no problem. I'm not running any DNS services etc, so the only thing that is different is the router. Now its not just that site as often I have problems even posting to DSLReports.com and when that happens I just switch over to the WRT54GS and its not problem. Both routers are setup as the same network time (Home), hence my problem with the DIR-825 as the idea was to permanently replace the WRT54GS (running DD-WRT or Tomato), but in fact I've had to keep it around for when the DIR-825 decides on being stupid.

Blake