Link Logger
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-29
Calgary, AB
kudos:3
reply to BimmerE38FN

Re: DIR-825 Wireless Problem

Hardware version B1
Firmware 2.06NA (apparently the latest).

ISP Provider Shaw Cable.

wifi Lan1
Wireless Band : 2.4GHz Band
Wireless Radio : Enabled
802.11 Mode : 11bgn
Channel Width : 20
Channel : 11
Wi-Fi Protected Setup : Enabled

wifi Lan2
Wireless Band : 5GHz Band
Wireless Radio : Enabled
802.11 Mode : 11na
Channel Width : 20
Channel : 40
Wi-Fi Protected Setup : Enabled

I do have a Windows Home Server so I do have some virtual servers setup (443, 3389, 4125), but otherwise this should be a pretty standard setup.

Blake
--
Vendor: Author of Link Logger which is a traffic analysis and firewall logging tool

BimmerE38FN

join:2002-09-15
Boise, ID
kudos:1
Reviews:
·CableOne

Try single mode G or mixed G and N on 2.4 and single mode N on 5Ghz? Theres no need to broadcase A or B modes since most devices now days use G or N only.

What security mode are you using? Preferred security is WPA-Personal. WPA2/Auto TPIK and AES or AES only. Some WiFi adapters don't support AES.

Any other WiFi routers in the area? Use InSSIDer to find out.
Turn off Short GI and Extra Wireless Protection, WLAN partiton if you have it. Under Advanced/Advanced Wireless.

Link Logger
Premium,MVM
Calgary, AB

said by BimmerE38FN:

Try single mode G or mixed G and N on 2.4 and single mode N on 5Ghz? Theres no need to broadcase A or B modes since most devices now days use G or N only.

Change 2.4 channel to G and N and 5.0 channel to just N

said by BimmerE38FN:

What security mode are you using? Preferred security is WPA-Personal. WPA2/Auto TPIK and AES or AES only. Some WiFi adapters don't support AES.

WPA-Personal, with WPA Mode set to Auto(WPA or WPA2) and Cipher Type set to TKIP and AES.

said by BimmerE38FN:

Any other WiFi routers in the area? Use InSSIDer to find out.

Both channels are Enable Auto Channel Scan as I do have other routers in the area, so I let the 825 figure out what channel is best.

said by BimmerE38FN:

Turn off Short GI and Extra Wireless Protection, WLAN partiton if you have it. Under Advanced/Advanced Wireless.

Extra wireless protection is off, and I'll leave Short GI enabled as that is starting to scrape the bottom of the barrel.

Blake
--
Vendor: Author of Link Logger which is a traffic analysis and firewall logging tool

BimmerE38FN

Boise, ID
Reviews:
·CableOne

Use InSSIDer application to find a open channel, since you have other routers near by, I recommend changing from Auto Scan to Manual and pick a open channel for the 2.4Ghz radio. If there isn't many or any 5Ghz wifi's near by, then you can leave that radio set to Auto Scan.

I recommend turning OFF Short GI.

Keep us posted on how it goes.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
join:2005-03-14
Putnam, CT
kudos:4
reply to Link Logger

Try DD-WRT, I have it on my 825, works well. Now the DAP bridge I will say is a POS, it kept knocking my Pioneer stereo receiver off the network.

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
Premium,MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON
reply to Link Logger

Click for full size
Blake, try the settings in the graphic above ... make changes to SSID as you need. Firmware is 2.03NA .. and I have no idea about newer firmware ... but the 2.03NA in the config I show works very nicely for some of my clients.

BimmerE38FN

Boise, ID
Reviews:
·CableOne

I would change the 5Ghz mode from Mixed A and N to N only. If you don't have any devices using A then why broadcast it. Going to single mode will strengthen the signal as well. And again, if you don't have any devices that use or support 5Ghz at all then I would turn the 5Ghz radio OFF.

PamelaTS

join:2004-04-20
Dallas, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Clearwire Wireless
·Clear Wireless

2 edits

Mixed Modes DO NOT broadcast anything extra, SSID, Becon nor does it take away from the N signal. What NA Mixed mode will do is if signal strength drops you stay connected! Granted if there are no other 5ghz networks this may be moot, there are some 5ghz cordless phones though. What can affect connection and does add to broadcast is WPS some devices don't work well with this on. Mixed BGN for example, B does not support WPS. Utilizing mixed modes improves probability of maintaining stable connection when other interference i.e. other networks, devices are in vicinity, It does NOT affect radiated power output!

TURN WPS AND SHORT GI!!! OFF!!! Short GI is a very brief sometimes overlooked signal and some clients WILL NOT SEE IT. Pick a channel 11 provides the best freq distance from overlapping Bluetooth devices. Note the 2.4ghz band channels overlap example 6 overlaps with 4,5,7,8. I recently moved and there were several networks on 11 so I moved to the other end my 2.4ghz devices make a fairly solid 65mb 20hz connection now, too many wireless networks for 2.4ghz 40hz to work.

If you have an android phone/device go to the market and get WiFi Analyzer (free app) it will tell you what if any other networks their SSID, channel and signal strength. This will also demonstrate how 2.4ghz channels overlap. It will also recommend a better channel. btw if your phone does dual band (my Samsung Galaxy S II does) it scans the 5ghz band also. On the Channel Graph page tap the upper left corner it will switch to 5ghz. The Time graph will show relative signal strength of all SSID's on both bands.

--
DLink DIR-825 (B1) fw2.06NA / DAP-1522 (a1) fw 1.31 {2@5ghz bridge mode} / Clear Modem series G

BimmerE38FN

Boise, ID
reply to dyoshida

Broadcasting mixed modes do affect signal strength and range. I would turn A and B modes off if there not being used.

Use www.metageek.net for finding nearby routers that are suing up channels. Find a open one.

Link Logger
Premium,MVM
Calgary, AB

I had to dig my old Wifi Spy out of the bottom of my drawer, and I love MetaGeek products, but ultimately my problem with the DIR-825 has nothing to do with my wifi connection etc, but the firewall itself.

For example using the same computer, a wired connection, ISP connection etc, if using the DIR-825 I go to:

»en.video.canoe.tv/

the videos are a no go, however if I switch my connection over to my old WRT54GS no problem. I'm not running any DNS services etc, so the only thing that is different is the router. Now its not just that site as often I have problems even posting to DSLReports.com and when that happens I just switch over to the WRT54GS and its not problem. Both routers are setup as the same network time (Home), hence my problem with the DIR-825 as the idea was to permanently replace the WRT54GS (running DD-WRT or Tomato), but in fact I've had to keep it around for when the DIR-825 decides on being stupid.

Blake
--

BimmerE38FN

Boise, ID
reply to dyoshida

Set Firewall settings to Endpoint Independent for TCP and UDP under Advanced/Firewall if you have this option

Link Logger
Premium,MVM
Calgary, AB
reply to Link Logger

Any suggestions as to why this site works with my old Linksys router but not my new DLink router?

Blake

BimmerE38FN

Boise, ID

1 edit

Been over to the 825 forum on DLinks site?

BimmerE38FN

Boise, ID
reply to dyoshida

Maybe have someone take a look at your router settings using team-viewer?

PamelaTS

Dallas, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Clearwire Wireless
·Clear Wireless
reply to BimmerE38FN

said by BimmerE38FN:

Broadcasting mixed modes do affect signal strength and range. I would turn A and B modes off if there not being used.

Use www.metageek.net for finding nearby routers that are suing up channels. Find a open one.

No, this is utter BS. What turning off A will do is REDUCE the already shorter 5ghz range due to 5ghz not having the range that 2.4ghz does.

When I turn B,G and/or A off I can't reach the pool area my balcony overlooks.Where there is no competition in a band it will not degrade performance to allow A/N. It DOES NOT broadcast SSID at both or multiple modes. The SSID carrier is independent of the mode. This is a fact as to how it actually works! Nor do modes DO NOT determine signal strength, in basic easy to understand english they do determine compensatory (compression) factors that permit better/faster throughput with greater range. The placement i.e. location of AP and actual radio devices of it and the client is based on plays a bigger part.

What most frequently causes range issues is construction materials and competing broadcast. These are often cordless phones (both bands), BlueTooth & other wireless networks (2.4ghz).
--
DLink DIR-825 (B1) fw2.06NA / DAP-1522 (a1) fw 1.31 {2@5ghz bridge mode} / Clear Modem series G

BimmerE38FN

Boise, ID

Just saying sometimes going from mixed to single modes helps in my experiences. To each his own though. Just here to help each other out.

mozerd
Premium,MVM
Nepean, ON
reply to Link Logger

said by Link Logger:

Any suggestions as to why this site works with my old Linksys router but not my new DLink router?

Have you sniffed the traffic to see what the DIR-825 is doing when it hits Canoe.tv?

BimmerE38FN

Boise, ID
reply to dyoshida

Funny, my 825 works well on this site.

diskdruid

join:2002-09-08
Saint-Jean-Sur-Richelieu, QC

said by BimmerE38FN:

Funny, my 825 works well on this site.

Have to agree with your page 1 statement Bimmer, best router I've ever had. Latest FW. Even shareport works flawlessly with v4.00.

And it works well too on this site.

PamelaTS

Dallas, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Clearwire Wireless
·Clear Wireless
reply to Link Logger

As Bimmer already pointed to check Advanced>Firewall Settings. I had no trouble with video's @canoe.tv

My firewall settings are:

Stateful Packet Inspection (SPI): On
Both UDP and TCP are set to Address Restricted
RSTP and SIP: ON

Anti-Spoof, DMZ, PPTP and IPSec: Off

?? If this is wireless connection check Advanced>Advance Wireless
WMM should be checked, one more time UNCHECK Short GI...

P
--
---- Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
---- Albert Einstein

--

BimmerE38FN

Boise, ID
Reviews:
·CableOne
reply to dyoshida

I would also try EndPoint Independent on the NAT firewall settings. Those are preferred. Specially for gaming and streaming.

Ya diskdruid, it's a great router and for the cost over a single 2.4Ghz router, well worth the extra for 5Ghz too.

Link Logger
Premium,MVM
Calgary, AB
reply to Link Logger

Today my DIR-825 pissed me off for the last time and so I've replaced it with a Netgear WNDR4500 (canoe.ca works correctly), now if the Netgear doesn't drop all the time like the D-Link did, I'll be a very happy Netgear user.

So far I've seen a big speed increase with the WNDR4500.

Blake
--

BimmerE38FN

Boise, ID
reply to dyoshida

Well that site works on my 825 and 4500 here.

Chris24

@telus.net
reply to Link Logger

Link Logger, I've had very similar issues with my DIR-825 and am frustrated too. I've tried everything in these posts and still have problems streaming video from some sites and dropped connections. I'm looking at changing routers, how have you liked your WNDR4500 since moving to it? Big change?

Thanks!

BimmerE38FN

Boise, ID

Do you see this in different browsers? Does it happen if your directly connected to the ISP modem? What FW do you have loaded. Seems like this could be an issue in Canada. I don't see this here in the U.S.

Also the DIR-857 released up there.

mozerd
Premium,MVM
Nepean, ON
reply to Chris24

said by Chris24 :

I'm looking at changing routers, how have you liked your WNDR4500 since moving to it? Big change?

The Netgear WNDR4500 is one of the best wireless routers I've worked with in Years .... highly recommended.

Link Logger
Premium,MVM
Calgary, AB
reply to Chris24

So far I'm really liking my new router. Zero problems thus far, faster then my old router and so I'm glad I switched.

Blake
--

BimmerE38FN

Boise, ID
reply to dyoshida

Enjoy. Shame you couldn't get the 825 to work. Probably a configuration issue.

Exterminat0r

join:2001-01-07
Hot Springs National Park, AR
reply to dyoshida

Too bad you couldn't get the 825 to work. I have one and have had zero problems with it. I flashed Gargoyle firmware on it and I like it even better.

Chris24

@telus.net
reply to Link Logger

Ya, I picked up the WNDR4500 on Thursday last week and I can't believe the difference it made. I noticed a huge improvement in wireless strength and speed... crazy. I honestly should have made this change awhile ago.

Thanks for all the help everyone, really appreciated it.

I'm not saying the DIR-825 is a bad router or anything but clearly it wasn't the right one for me. Maybe I had a bad unit. I just can't believe the difference the WNDR4500 has made though.