uniqs

UHF
All static, all day, Forever
MVM
join:2002-05-24

UHF to fifty nine

MVM

to fifty nine

Re: Buying a Home. What's your Checklist?

said by fifty nine:

Check the flood maps too. If you are in a flood zone you will be required to purchase flood insurance.

Get a survey done, especially if you have a large property. It's good to know where your property boundaries are.

Definitely check the flood maps. Check them YOURSELF. Realtors lie. I looked at two houses and asked the real estate agent about floods and was assured they weren't in flood plains. Both are. One is now gone, a flash flood knocked it right off the foundation.

I did not get a survey when I bought my home. I not want to put up a fence. Guess what? An error was made and according to the city maps the lot lines are all screwed up. Had I known about this, I would have walked away, or had the seller fix the screw up. A survey will cost me $2400, probably because the engineers all know that the lot lines in the subdivision are screwed up and it will be a lot of work to figure it all out. According to the city map, my living room is on my neighbors lot, and the house on the opposite side of me is partially on my lot. My guess is the map is wrong, but I haven't spent the money to find out. I don't really want to open that can of worms now.

fifty nine
join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ

fifty nine

It should be worth noting as well that flood maps were recently updated. A lot of people here that were on the edge of flood zones and now squarely in them had to buy flood insurance. They weren't happy.

Flood maps:

»www.fema.gov/hazard/map/ ··· ood.shtm

General info about flood insurance:

»www.floodsmart.gov

The town or city may have them available too. Oh, and while you're at it it would be wise to acquaint yourself with procedures for permits and stuff within your jurisdiction. That way, no surprises. Many towns have the instructions on their websites.

Also be aware of any special things such as alarm registration, dog licenses etc. Our town requires every alarm system be registered and every dog must have a license (indoor or outdoor).

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

AVD to UHF

Premium Member

to UHF
said by UHF:

I did not get a survey when I bought my home. I not want to put up a fence. \

Get a survey staked out before you move in. After you are there a while, it would not be neighborly to do so, but just moving in, you can tell them you were suspicious of the seller.
05451874 (banned)
join:2012-01-18
Worcester, MA

05451874 (banned)

said by AVD:

said by UHF:

I did not get a survey when I bought my home. I not want to put up a fence. \

Get a survey staked out before you move in. After you are there a while, it would not be neighborly to do so, but just moving in, you can tell them you were suspicious of the seller.

It doesn't matter when you do it. It's business and business is never friendly when mixed with pleasure. You could say it's easier when you move in because it's part of the process but then again you could say you'll do it later to give yourself time to become friends with everyone around you so they won't care if you do it.