spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Steelhumm

join:2012-01-09

Which modem/router would be a better choice

I know nothing about this so I'm hoping someone here can help. I am in the process of switching from comcast cable internet to verizon dsl service, loved comcast but the slowdown during peak hours was terrible! Anyway..... To my question

Thanks to the wonderful clueless verizon employees I just received my box with a 6100 modem....AND a westell 7500...AND another westell 7500...LOL. Should i just hook up a 7500 and be done with it, or would using the 6100 along with my linksys n router (that I used for comcast) be faster or have a better range than the 7500?

I also have Ethernet running to 4 rooms in the house, could I somehow extend the wireless range by using any of these products in combination?

Thanks for any help you may be able to give me

wayjac
Premium,MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy
kudos:1
I suggest you keep a 7500
The 7500 will work with the linksys
As for which has better wifi range testing will provide the best answer
said by Steelhumm:

I also have Ethernet running to 4 rooms in the house, could I somehow extend the wireless range by using any of these products in combination?

The 7500 or linksys can be reconfigured to work like a access point for the network

Steelhumm

join:2012-01-09
thanks for the reply, i appreciate it. I'll keep reading threads about how to use the linksys as an access point...i can change the transmission in the car, but not sure i can do this! lol

wayjac
Premium,MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy
kudos:1
Since you've had cable the 6100/7500 can be configured to work like a cable modem

There is a faq with instructions on how to reconfigure any router or modem to mimic a access point
Using a Wireless Router as an Access Point