Premium
join:2001-12-28
Wilmington, DE
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Comcast

[HD] Flyers Hockey in SD Tonight!!!

Yep - since we're not in New York or DC, Flyers fans who have Verizon FIOS get to watch their hockey team in glorious SD tonight - despite The Comcast Network HD having a live feed for the past 2 years.

With a large # of Flyers, Sixers, and then Union and Phillies games on TCN in 2012, the ignoring of this channel may just push me back....

TweakerInWA
Optimus
Premium
join:2001-12-11
Syracuse, NY
Should be more worried about your goaltending situation.

I'm switching back to FIOS, install date Thursday thanks to the MSG-HD issue finally being resolved. I done that knowing Verizon only broadcasts 1, maybe 2 HD Center Ice games a night. But as stated, I'll be watching most of my Ranger games on MSG.
--
Smoke'm if ya got'em !!!

Greg2600

join:2008-05-20
Belleville, NJ
reply to JeepMatt
I don't know if this is related, but the other night I had MSG HD on their Hockey Nightly show with Al Trautwig. They went to a highlight from a Flyers game on TCN and it was in SD. They all started laughing and Trautwig asked, "Are these pictures coming from the moon or something?" Why did MSG have no HD access?

frankpf3
Verizon Fios

join:2007-08-09
Huntington Station, NY
kudos:1
reply to JeepMatt
Maybe they will show, in SD, the replay of the Winter Classic. I would love to see that!

lordpuffer
RIP lil
Premium
join:2004-09-19
Rio Rancho, NM
kudos:2
reply to JeepMatt
I bettcha Bobby Clarke is getting the game in HD.
--
"Is there a 50's Cafe around here"?

JeepMatt
C'mon the U
Premium
Wilmington, DE
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Comcast
said by lordpuffer:

I bettcha Bobby Clarke is getting the game in HD.

HAHHHA - so is my neighbor across the street who has Comcast!
--
"ONE team - ONE city - ONE dream!!"

lordpuffer
RIP lil
Premium
join:2004-09-19
Rio Rancho, NM
kudos:2
OT, but I'm an old school Flyers fan from the 60's and 70's.....Broad Street Bully era.
--
"Is there a 50's Cafe around here"?

nowayout

join:2009-06-22
Allentown, PA
reply to JeepMatt
Don't complain. Bandwidth is all the same. Flyers, 25 Spanish channels, it's all the same bandwidth! (For the 5 or so of you that get this.)

Zero

join:2009-07-01
Collegeville, PA
reply to JeepMatt
You would think with wiring Philly and with the majority of the suberbs and NJ and DE areas already FiOS ready that VZ would add TCN HD in the heart of Comcast to win over sports fans from Xfinity...you would think.

Xfinity TV's limited basic package is $19.35 for me online and includes TCN HD...I wonder if that could be negotiated down to something more reasonable...

JeepMatt
C'mon the U
Premium
Wilmington, DE
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Comcast
I believe the main thing that screws us in VHO8 is the Mercer County, NJ customers (and no offense guys!! LOL)

If you think about it, our VHO needs to reserve QAM's for all the local Philly HD channels, all the local NY channels, Comcast Sportsnet HD, YES HD, SportsNet NY HD, and now the 2 MSG HD channels.

Those are all local QAM's that could've been used to give us TCN HD, or us Delaware customers MASN2 HD (another reason why I believe DE was the ONLY applicable area in the VZ footprint not to get this channel last year.)

I really think there just isn't any local space left right now. And, there's nothing in the pipeline currently at all.

Comcast is looking better by the minute - especially once that next round of HD hits Delaware - which is expected in the next 2 months.
--
"ONE team - ONE city - ONE dream!!"

winstoda

join:2005-10-04
Middletown, DE
The HD sports omission that really bothers me is CSN Mid Atlantic (77). It appears in the guide as CSN MA HD. But of course it isn't. What's the big deal? Ravens coverage. We do still have one Delaware area team with their season still going after all...

Acct101
Premium
join:2011-09-20
Bensalem, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Verizon FiOS
·T-Mobile US
reply to JeepMatt
said by JeepMatt:

Yep - since we're not in New York or DC, Flyers fans who have Verizon FIOS get to watch their hockey team in glorious SD tonight - despite The Comcast Network HD having a live feed for the past 2 years.

With a large # of Flyers, Sixers, and then Union and Phillies games on TCN in 2012, the ignoring of this channel may just push me back....

Even more nuts, this would be the perfect opportunity for Fios to go head to head with Comcast on their home tuft and amazing channel lineup.

JeepMatt, you are all talk about going back to Comcast. I would be back if I can get the rest of my family on board.

JeepMatt
C'mon the U
Premium
Wilmington, DE
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Comcast

1 edit
Acct-
Nope - not this time around. Just waiting for that batch of new HD's with Fox Soccer, Gol TV and BBC America that you already got in Bucks County before the end of the year. I invested too much into getting Fox Soccer HD - LOL.

Supposed to work it's way to my neighborhood by March (as we know, all TV providers take forever!!)

Even if FIOS is moving to IPTV - if it looks anything like what's on the Xbox - people will be very unhappy.

My partner has Comcast TV at his business - and while some here say the HD PQ makes them vomit (always loved that one) - to even my discerning eye - it looks great.

Balz

join:2003-08-13
Sicklerville, NJ
reply to JeepMatt
I remember years ago this was answered when they finally gave CSNHD that they were not providing CN8HD because it is an overflow channel and it was not justified being on FIOS 24/7 in HD for a few overflow games the channel provides. They stated then they could go back and start offering the channel in HD if the situation changed, but it appears to me there is not really a need for all of us to pay a premium to comcast for CN8HD for a few games a year.

I assume that FIOS would have to pay Comcast a hefty price to carry the HD feed of a really crappy channel that occasional has a sports game on it.

Balz

join:2003-08-13
Sicklerville, NJ

1 edit
reply to Greg2600
said by Greg2600:

I don't know if this is related, but the other night I had MSG HD on their Hockey Nightly show with Al Trautwig. They went to a highlight from a Flyers game on TCN and it was in SD. They all started laughing and Trautwig asked, "Are these pictures coming from the moon or something?" Why did MSG have no HD access?

Because CSN uses microwave transmitting and not satellite they have to provide the highlights to the competing networks (part of the terrestial loophole, I believe). To keep the HD replays on their channels only and away from HD channels such as ESPN who I know gets their replays from WPVI they provide SD feeds.

Since Comcast owns NBC now you have to believe all the NBC networks get HD replays now. MSG probably got their replay from ESPN who gets the low def one.

From CSN on Wiki:

Because of the network's distribution exclusively in the Delaware Valley, for any highlights for teams which air on CSN Philadelphia, ESPN must contract with local ABC station/sister operation WPVI-TV to provide them recordings of CSN Philadelphia for Sportscenter, NBA Fastbreak and Baseball Tonight highlight packages, which are only provided in 480i SD video as a consequence. However MLB Network and NBA TV have full access to the HD feed of CSN Philadelphia since the network must as the rights holder provide full-quality video to the properties of each league for their internet and cable operations, while Comcast provides full HD access to CSN Philadelphia to sister operations NBC Sports Network and NHL Network, which both carry NHL games nationally, as NBCSN maintains some operations offices in Philadelphia.

Zero

join:2009-07-01
Collegeville, PA
reply to Balz
said by Balz:

I remember years ago this was answered when they finally gave CSNHD that they were not providing CN8HD because it is an overflow channel and it was not justified being on FIOS 24/7 in HD for a few overflow games the channel provides. They stated then they could go back and start offering the channel in HD if the situation changed, but it appears to me there is not really a need for all of us to pay a premium to comcast for CN8HD for a few games a year.

I assume that FIOS would have to pay Comcast a hefty price to carry the HD feed of a really crappy channel that occasional has a sports game on it.

I don't think that's the case. Back when CSNHD was added, VZ didn't even have TCN (CN8 back then) in SD. VZ then went back and added TCN in SD. However, thanks to inside information on this site it was revealed that when VZ acquired TCN in SD they gained access to TCNHD. VZ receives both the SD and HD feeds for TCN but has only mapped the SD version to a QAM and channel number. So the HD feed is being received by VZ and all they have to do is map it to a QAM and make a channel number for it - but instead they're sitting on their hands while the HD feed goes to waste.