spc
uniqs

Greg2600
join:2008-05-20
Belleville, NJ

Greg2600 to SeattleMatt

to SeattleMatt

Re: [HD] Flyers Hockey in SD Tonight!!!

I don't know if this is related, but the other night I had MSG HD on their Hockey Nightly show with Al Trautwig. They went to a highlight from a Flyers game on TCN and it was in SD. They all started laughing and Trautwig asked, "Are these pictures coming from the moon or something?" Why did MSG have no HD access?
Balz
join:2003-08-13
Sicklerville, NJ

1 edit

Balz

said by Greg2600:

I don't know if this is related, but the other night I had MSG HD on their Hockey Nightly show with Al Trautwig. They went to a highlight from a Flyers game on TCN and it was in SD. They all started laughing and Trautwig asked, "Are these pictures coming from the moon or something?" Why did MSG have no HD access?

Because CSN uses microwave transmitting and not satellite they have to provide the highlights to the competing networks (part of the terrestial loophole, I believe). To keep the HD replays on their channels only and away from HD channels such as ESPN who I know gets their replays from WPVI they provide SD feeds.

Since Comcast owns NBC now you have to believe all the NBC networks get HD replays now. MSG probably got their replay from ESPN who gets the low def one.

From CSN on Wiki:

Because of the network's distribution exclusively in the Delaware Valley, for any highlights for teams which air on CSN Philadelphia, ESPN must contract with local ABC station/sister operation WPVI-TV to provide them recordings of CSN Philadelphia for Sportscenter, NBA Fastbreak and Baseball Tonight highlight packages, which are only provided in 480i SD video as a consequence. However MLB Network and NBA TV have full access to the HD feed of CSN Philadelphia since the network must as the rights holder provide full-quality video to the properties of each league for their internet and cable operations, while Comcast provides full HD access to CSN Philadelphia to sister operations NBC Sports Network and NHL Network, which both carry NHL games nationally, as NBCSN maintains some operations offices in Philadelphia.